White bay cruise terminal

timbom

Always good to get info from the experienced brains trust here. What may appear easy on a map is not always so. We caught a bus to Balmain once, and the person that told us the ferry is just down the end of that road must have had a good laugh. It is steep around there too. I am very wary of heading around there on foot, if people here say it is a long way, I would be listening.

Goody and Mic,

Thanks for the wrap, :D

My advice come from first hand experience since I have was based at Leichhardt bus depot for sometime I can tell you there is no easy way around Balmain :D

even for a local.

And Goody that hill you spoke of is Darling st, imagine schlepping your cruise gear up that ? 900 metres turns into a couple of kilometers :D in the blink of an eye ( Damn maps don't show inclines! or do they?)

While I'm here what is all the fuss about which terminal you have to go to?

GEcruiser, we are booked to go on a ship (Celebrity Solstice for me) that is going to be docked at the OPT, but we will be processed at White Bay, and ferried back to the OPT. The OPT needs to have some essential part of the renovations done without us pests in the way. The notice has been very late in the day, with it being only a bit over a week to sailing that we were notified. We shall survive, but it is confusing at the last minute.

What is Carnival doing during this time frame? What info has been sent to their passengers?

Don't know for certain but I am led to believe they want to just use the white tent/ marquee at the front of the terminal but given its size cannot see that happening. You cannot fit check in ,customs and security scanning inside that size area. although it sounds cumbersome Royals option seems to be a lot better, comfort wise, for the passengers.

Don't know for certain but I am led to believe they want to just use the white tent/ marquee at the front of the terminal but given its size cannot see that happening. You cannot fit check in ,customs and security scanning inside that size area.

Maybe they'll extend it.

FREE shuttle OPT to white bay, FREE ferry white bay to OPT and FREE airport transfers to the airport after the cruise. I too think its a pretty good deal.

BTW not everyone comes in on the day of the cruise, maybe those from within NSW but we and the friends we travel with always go up the day before for peace of mind.

FREE shuttle OPT to white bay, FREE ferry white bay to OPT and FREE airport transfers to the airport after the cruise. I too think its a pretty good deal.

BTW not everyone comes in on the day of the cruise, maybe those from within NSW but we and the friends we travel with always go up the day before for peace of mind.

I like to do that as well and I am only 3 hours away from Sydney.:D

Sorry to further stir up this Hornets nest but there is nothing in their announcement saying there will be a shuttle from OPT to new location or the cruise ship will be docked at OPT.

I tried to get these verified by Celebrity and they said neither of these were true. Further they said they would not let people off of ship once checked in due to the industrial nature of where the ship will be located.

Perhaps I am getting incorrect info from C and will wait to make any decisions as to when to check in and where to go to for check in till I hear other peoples stories.

Hopefully we will have some of them posted in next week or so.

Sorry to further stir up this Hornets nest but there is nothing in their announcement saying there will be a shuttle from OPT to new location or the cruise ship will be docked at OPT.

I tried to get these verified by Celebrity and they said neither of these were true. Further they said they would not let people off of ship once checked in due to the industrial nature of where the ship will be located.

Perhaps I am getting incorrect info from C and will wait to make any decisions as to when to check in and where to go to for check in till I hear other peoples stories.

I have tried to stay out if this debate but really, what a lot if hoo haa over nothing.

The ship will be docked at the OPT, it cant dock anywhere else and it was made quite clear to you that is where it will dock and depart from. You need to take notice of what some very well informed local people are saying.

It was also made clear that C is not advertising the fact that there is a shuttle from the OPT to White Bay because they want people to checkin at White Bay. Can you imagine loading thousands of people with their luggage onto coaches at the already restricted access at OPT. Coaches can only take about 30 passengers with luggage.

So please go direct to White Bay cruise terminal for checkin. Its only a 15 minute cab ride from anywhere in downtown Sydney. You will then be given a free ferry ride under the harbour bridge back to the OPT which is located near Sydney's main ferry terminal at Circular Quay.

I personally would not be wanting to get off the ship again. The views from the ship of the surrounding area is stunning - best in the world.

BTW the ship is not located in an industrial area. The passenger terminal is undergoing major refurbishment and enlargement to more easily accommodate ships of Solstice size.

Have a good cruise and enjoy Sydney.

Hugh

Yes, if whoever told you that the dock is in an industrial area so you can't get off, then you are clearly getting incorrect information.

The OPT is far from an industrial area, and for some time had some very nice restaurants, as well as being a 100m from a railway station, ferry terminal, with commercial buildings, shops and even McDonalds nearby.

The Celebrity ships DO NOT FIT under the Harbour Bridge. Trust us. We live here. Unlike some random call centre operator 1000s of miles away who has never been here.

White Bay could be classed as industrial but the ship is not docked there. The OPT is right in the city

Edited by timtam2

The Celebrity ships DO NOT FIT under the Harbour Bridge. Trust us. We live here. Unlike some random call centre operator 1000s of miles away who has never been here.

White Bay could be classed as industrial but the ship is not docked there. The OPT is right in the city

Definitely a more industrial feel to White Bay, it is a bit of a maze to get there which is why Cabs (or shuttles if available) are the best methods of arriving there.:D

Sure some may. Just you said a taxi would definitely be needed, which isn't the case. :D

Right, you are, I said.

Some people would need a cab from the bus stop to the terminal though. It is still a bit of a walk and with luggage makes it harder.

very obvious indeed.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I am a bit concerned regarding the address Celebrity gives to White Bay Terminal and the map they provide.

James Craig Rd is not anywhere near the terminal they show in the map.

I am assuming we go to the place they show on the map.

Yes, if whoever told you that the dock is in an industrial area so you can't get off, then you are clearly getting incorrect information.

The OPT is far from an industrial area, and for some time had some very nice restaurants, as well as being a 100m from a railway station, ferry terminal, with commercial buildings, shops and even McDonalds nearby.

I suspect that the reference to "industrial area" may [just may] be a reference to what is going on at OPT.

I am a bit concerned regarding the address Celebrity gives to White Bay Terminal and the map they provide.

James Craig Rd is not anywhere near the terminal they show in the map.

I am assuming we go to the place they show on the map.

I must say I didn't look much at their info, but presumed taxi drivers would know where to go. I just did a google, and it gives that address, but with a quick look (am at work and can't look long) I could not even see a road with that name. Google said that was the address though. That is probably where Celebrity got their info. Maybe one of the others here can confirm what should be told to a taxi or the GPS?

I must say I didn't look much at their info, but presumed taxi drivers would know where to go. I just did a google, and it gives that address, but with a quick look (am at work and can't look long) I could not even see a road with that name. Google said that was the address though. That is probably where Celebrity got their info. Maybe one of the others here can confirm what should be told to a taxi or the GPS?

Maps on my ipad shows James Craig Road Rozelle, but it is a "split" road.

But the cruise terminal is on Robert St or Sommerville Rd

see this link for a PDF doc with a good map

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sydneyports.com.au%2F__data%2Fassets%2Fpdf_file%2F0014%2F30092%2FWB_Cruise_Terminal_Info_Sheet_24052013_UPDATED_FINAL.pdf&ei=Oj1IVOW2NMGKuATftIKoDg&usg=AFQjCNFMEAmu1m16Eq8NNTqMqem1Z_rnug&sig2=pKYRsX1K6frH5tPRH7vtpg&bvm=bv.77880786,d.c2E

Good map, as mentioned on the map 'Access via James Craig road':D