new visitors to Bermuda

smeyer418

This is dispicable IMO. Great to think our tax dollars brought, and for the time being, are keeping these guys (picked up at an Al Qaeda Terrorist Camp) in Paradise and I can not afford to fly and stay in Bermuda for a vacation! Nice going, Bermuda! And also nice going Pres Obama!.....NOT!!!

This is dispicable IMO. Great to think our tax dollars brought, and for the time being, are keeping these guys (picked up at an Al Qaeda Terrorist Camp) in Paradise and I can not afford to fly and stay in Bermuda for a vacation! Nice going, Bermuda! And also nice going Pres Obama!.....NOT!!!

If you read the various reports they were not anti-US, they were anti-China. And they committed no crimes. There were no grounds to keep them at Guantanamo. Bermuda is doing the USA a favor by taking them. The alternative would have been they would have been released in the USA.

If you read the various reports they were not anti-US, they were anti-China. And they committed no crimes. There were no grounds to keep them at Guantanamo. Bermuda is doing the USA a favor by taking them. The alternative would have been they would have been released in the USA.

and the determination that they were non-combatants non Al quida was made under President Bush years ago....

I guess picking up these guys at an al qaeda camp means they were there for fun and recreation? Nope. And Bush realized the fact that they were not Anti-American; however, funny nobody else wanted them. I wonder why. And I don't like the idea of my tax dollars supporting this when I can't even go on a vacation there. In my personal opinion, Guantanamo Bay should not be closing in the first place. I know you wouldn't want al qaeda campers living next door to you. Bermuda may be doing the U.S. a favor, but who's to say that whatever they learned there they won't use against Bermuda, or any other place for that matter. I also think it's a bit ridiculous that England had such short notice of this- they don't seem to be too happy about it either.

I guess picking up these guys at an al qaeda camp means they were there for fun and recreation? Nope. And Bush realized the fact that they were not Anti-American; however, funny nobody else wanted them. I wonder why. And I don't like the idea of my tax dollars supporting this when I can't even go on a vacation there. In my personal opinion, Guantanamo Bay should not be closing in the first place. I know you wouldn't want al qaeda campers living next door to you. Bermuda may be doing the U.S. a favor, but who's to say that whatever they learned there they won't use against Bermuda, or any other place for that matter. I also think it's a bit ridiculous that England had such short notice of this- they don't seem to be too happy about it either.

Sorry that you can't afford to go on a vacation to Bermuda. But your tax dollars have been supporting them already. Now it will be possible to have them support themselves.

England is not happy because it was done without consultation. I think their feelings may be hurt.

I think a discussion of Guantanamo closing strays very off topic so I won't say my opinion on that.

and the determination that they were non-combatants non Al quida was made under President Bush years ago....

Very informative article on them and their arrival in Bermuda just came up on the New York Times web site. It does require registration but here is the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/world/americas/15uighur.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

I would say Bermuda did a fine thing. Hope it works out.

The reason the rest of the world doesn't want them is that they say we should take a number of them to the US first....and then they will happily take some but they want us to do it first. Other countries have taken some. Over 200 have left for other places and the only country that refuses is the US. I have al qeada living next door to me. They arrested about 6 within a mile of where I live. China would take them and then execute them...happily. We made this mess when we took them to Cuba without making sure they were terrorists first. but that of course is ot. We should thank as I did Bermuda for taking them off our hands and btw the report is the Brits were notified maybe they are just Claude Rains from Cassablanca

Sorry that you can't afford to go on a vacation to Bermuda.(loved to cruise there, but would really love to fly and stay for a week, but the cost is too prohibitive.) But your tax dollars have been supporting them already. Now it will be possible to have them support themselves.

Tax $$$ supporting them in Guantanamo is one thing, but have you seen where the've been set up?? A lovely cottage overlooking the ocean!

I truly do hope they become gainfully employed soon, this is really ridiculous IMHO.

I think a discussion of Guantanamo closing strays very off topic so I won't say my opinion on that.

Agreed

The reason the rest of the world doesn't want them is that they say we should take a number of them to the US first....and then they will happily take some but they want us to do it first. Other countries have taken some. Over 200 have left for other places and the only country that refuses is the US. I have al qeada living next door to me. They arrested about 6 within a mile of where I live. China would take them and then execute them...happily. We made this mess when we took them to Cuba without making sure they were terrorists first. but that of course is ot. We should thank as I did Bermuda for taking them off our hands and btw the report is the Brits were notified maybe they are just Claude Rains from Cassablanca

I saw a segment on TV this morning about this whole thing. The Bermudians for the most part do not seem too pleased to have these new quests. The reporter asked one of the men where it was better in Guant. Bay or China, and he replied "Guant.Bay". I'm looking forward to hearing more about what the Brits have to say on the matter.

I'm sure that there are many opinions regarding this matter and I have stated mine as you both have stated yours. While we may not agree, I'm glad to have had this exchange with you both and happy we have maintained a respectful dialogue :).

John Adams who once defended the British who fired at the Boston Massacre, reminds us that our freedom depends on our willingness to defend the freedom of others, even when we disagree with them. Out of sight should not mean out of mind.

John Adams who once defended the British who fired at the Boston Massacre, reminds us that our freedom depends on our willingness to defend the freedom of others, even when we disagree with them. Out of sight should not mean out of mind.

Excellent post!! I could NOT agree more.

Does anyone know if they will be monitored while on Bermuda?

I want to sleep soundly when my ship is in port overnight!

First, the ship is probably the safest place on the island and, second, you have more to fear from common criminals (and that is a minimal risk, probably less than in your own home).

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived