Is the room bigger?

sdpoulin1

Our TA booked us in a wheelchair accessible room(not on request)5054 on the Westerdam. The room looks bigger in the deck drawing, has anyone stayed in one of these rooms, is it really bigger?

The Oosterdam is a sister ship to the Westerdam and we were in 5054 on the Westerdam in May 2008.

I have tons of photos of our stateroom here along with descriptions of it. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html

Back up (in case main site is down) http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/index.html

It is a lot larger than a regular stateroom and is absolutely wonderful!

The only drawback is that there is only 1 sink. But that was not a problem for us, but you have no storage area under the sink.

There is no tub, only a shower area with a drain in the floor for drainage, a fold down seat for the shower. At night, I would park my Scooter in the bathroom and had it charging from the nightstand electrical outlet.

Also, another plus to me is that the verandah appears to be larger because of the stateroom being in what I call the bend of the ship (it has been pointed out to me by other CC members that the verandah is actually not larger, but it looked like it to me.)

I loved this stateroom!!!

Joanie

Our TA booked us in a wheelchair accessible room(not on request)5054 on the Westerdam. The room looks bigger in the deck drawing, has anyone stayed in one of these rooms, is it really bigger?

Yes, it's bigger. It's bigger because those of us who use wheelchairs for mobility -- who cannot walk, and need to use a wheelchair -- need the space to maneuver in the cabin, and into the bathroom.

You'll also find no threshhold between the bathroom and cabin. Able bodied people find this inconvenient, because if they stay in the shower (there is likely no tub, but a shower) the water tends to flow out of the bathroom and gets the rest of the carpeting wet in the bedroom/sitting area. You may also find that there isn't the same kind of furniture as you'd find in a regular cabin -- often things like plush couches and overstuffed chairs are moved out of there so that we have room for our chair and scooter.

How far away is your cruise? If it's several months out, you have plenty of time to do the right thing and book a regular cabin so that someone who actually needs the space might be able to cruise.

Generally a cruise line will not move someone from a cabin. Yes, I know they say they will. And yes, occasionally it happens. But it is a rare and unusual occurance. Just ask those of us with disabilities who have to book 8 months or more away from when we'd like to cruise, just to acquire one of the few accessible cabins available on most ships!

Our old TA put us in one too... I found out after the fact, when we were switched out of it. I told her not to do that anymore. :)

I'm really REALLY surprised that able-bodied pax can book the HC cabins -- they are at SUCH a premium, and so many HAL cruisers seem to need mobility aids. I'd think HAL would insist on proof of need before giving out a HC cabin.

I'm really REALLY surprised that able-bodied pax can book the HC cabins -- they are at SUCH a premium, and so many HAL cruisers seem to need mobility aids. I'd think HAL would insist on proof of need before giving out a HC cabin.

I do not think HAL requires proof of need for HC cabin ... also, I do not think that if a passenger selects one that HAL can ask, legally, whether one needs it or what one's disability might be.

We found out after the fact too, just like the OP!!! We didn't request it either. I don't know what my TA was thinking, other than she thought we'd want extra room.... I told her not to do it again, as we don't need it.

I never said, "I insist on keeping it." I spoke to the TA and he said no more available, and any changes I would have to pay for. I told him to make a note that I am willing to move. Said he would. I should not have to pay more for a booking problem just like a HC person should not have to pay more for a HC room. I have NEVER been attacked like this on this board. Maybe knowing all the facts before you jump on someone might be a good idea....you think???

sdpoulin1, I am handicapped and made special note of it when I booked our first cruise 2 years ago on the Oosterdam through HAL. I use a scooter, a walker and a cane for mobility.

I read your post and showed you photos and gave you my thoughts on the stateroom. I did not blame you then, nor do I blame you now for accepting what may in all likelihood be the last stateroom available in your category.

Please understand that not all mobility/handicapped cruisers know about the HC staterooms. Unless they mention it to their TA or HAL PCC they just assume there is no option.

On our 1st cruise, there was a lady and her family staying a few staterooms down from us. The lady brought along her HoverRound. It was way to big to fit through her standard sized stateroom door, nor would there have been anywhere inside the stateroom to park it. I asked her if she would like to change staterooms (which had the adjoining stateroom door) and she refused. Stated she would just park her HoverRound by the Glass elevators whenever she was not using it. She did not want a HC stateroom.

So, please do not be ashamed or refuse to take the stateroom if that is all you can book. It costs you and I the same.

And two other things: 1.) moving staterooms has been mentioned by another CC member and you've already informed your TA that you are willing to move. 2.) The drain in the bathroom did not seep or leak in any way into the rest of the stateroom on the Oosterdam, There was a lip approximately 1 inch high across the doorway into the bathroom that kept that from happening.

I am happy to see you on board and in a stateroom of any kind and happy to say welcome to CC.

And to other CC'rs that do not feel the way I do, that the OP is not guilty of anything, take it up with HAL please, not the OP, who has already done what can be done for someone who may need or want the stateroom. The OP can do no more other than to not cruise at all, and where is the fairness in that?

Joanie

Seems to me you missed my point ! HAL will not make you move !!!

Your TA has booked you in this cabin - and it is off the inventory. A couple

of times people have posted that they were willing to move ...but that is

very rare. Once booked - the cabin is off the Inventory. Sorry

the category you want is not available. But is that a reason to continue

to keep a handicap accessible cabin when you state you don't need it ?

You have many choices. ..........

YES, they WILL ask you to move!!! It happened to us!!! Please, this is our first hand experience - HAL called us and asked us to change our cabin and we readily agreed!!!!

WE DID NOT KNOW it has a H/C accessible cabin when it was assigned to us!

How would you like to find out that the week you want to cruise, there are no HC available -- and you are booking almost a year out?

And how about finding your second choice of weeks is also not possible.

Because someone who decided he or she "deserves" the extra space -- not requires it, but somehow deserves it -- booked it.

How many cabins are there on the Westerdam that an able-bodied person can book? 800? 900?

And how many that a handicapped person can book? 28.

Please do not encourage someone like this.

Several years ago we were assiged a HC cabin on a Carnival cruise. We did not request it. The cruiseline told us that if a handicapped person needed the cabin we would be moved. They didn't and we weren't moved - but certainly we were not in the cabin because we wanted a larger space.

Even though your cabin category is full, you may be able to unbook your specific cabin and request a guarantee cabin in your category. That way you will at least get a cabin in the category you paid for and could possibly be upgraded. I may be way off base, but it is worth a try. It doesn't hurt to ask---- the worst that can happen is that they say "no"

Depending on when the OP is sailing, perhaps there's very little chance of that cabin being required for HC (sailing soon rather than many months or more out). Personally, I think it is asking a LOT of the OP to give up a cabin that may not be needed for HC, and take a chance on a guarantee.

We know too little about the situation to be demanding or requesting or suggesting that the OP change his/her booking IMHO.

Depending on when the OP is sailing, perhaps there's very little chance of that cabin being required for HC (sailing soon rather than many months or more out). Personally, I think it is asking a LOT of the OP to give up a cabin that may not be needed for HC, and take a chance on a guarantee.

We know too little about the situation to be demanding or requesting or suggesting that the OP change his/her booking IMHO.

I didn't mean to sound as though I was demanding. It seemed as though the OP wouldn't mind changing if another in her category was available and I just made that suggestion. Sorry if it came out wrongly worded.

You're right. You did not know. Now you do. And now you know you have an unthinking and uncaring travel agent, who would do such a thing, without telling you, and without correcting his/her mistake. I hope you consider someone else the next time.

Have a great cruise.

The problem for the physically challenged HAL passenger is with HAL. HAL does not care about your business or they would have a reservation system that would "save" HC cabins for you until say 60 days prior to sailing or a policy to upgrade non-challenged passengers booked in HC cabin if you need one etc etc etc.

Your anger may be justified but not toward this passenger who accepted a cabin in total compliance with HAL rules.

I would be very angry with HAL but alas you probably realize it will do little good so you vent on this passenger.

If she gives up the cabin and pays more it is only one cabin on one ship on one sailing -hardly a solution to the real problem. The problem is HAL's. You should not let them off the hook.

The problem for the physically challenged HAL passenger is with HAL. HAL does not care about your business or they would have a reservation system that would "save" HC cabins for you until say 60 days prior to sailing or a policy to upgrade non-challenged passengers booked in HC cabin if you need one etc etc etc.

Your anger may be justified but not toward this passenger who accepted a cabin in total compliance with HAL rules.

I would be very angry with HAL but alas you probably realize it will do little good so you vent on this passenger.

If she gives up the cabin and pays more it is only one cabin on one ship on one sailing -hardly a solution to the real problem. The problem is HAL's. You should not let them off the hook.

gabbyisadog, I posted this in Post #19 above :

"Please understand that not all mobility/handicapped cruisers know about the HC staterooms. Unless they mention it to their TA or HAL PCC they just assume there is no option.

On our 1st cruise, there was a lady and her family staying a few staterooms down from us. The lady brought along her HoverRound. It was way to big to fit through her standard sized stateroom door, nor would there have been anywhere inside the stateroom to park it. I asked her if she would like to change staterooms (which had the adjoining stateroom door) and she refused. Stated she would just park her HoverRound by the Glass elevators whenever she was not using it. She did not want a HC stateroom."

What I am trying to explain is that it, in my opinion, HAL does care. And HAL will do all they can to place a handicapped person in a HC stateroom, BUT the passenger must make HAL aware that they are handicapped.

Joanie

How far away is your cruise? If it's several months out,

When is you cruise....your signature isn't showing up. :)

Depending on when the OP is sailing, perhaps
From the four corrupt attempts at creating a countdown clock I can see that OP is sailing 1/3/2010.

sdpoulin1: If you want to try again on making a countdown clock, use Internet Explorer (not Firefox or Safari etc) to create and install it, and then you can go back to using your preferred browser.

Or, you can edit the string created in your 3rd attempt, replacing the single character appearing between "2010" and "=Beach" with the string "&image"

Sapper1, sorry if you thought that was intended for you -- it was not specifically for you -- there were a number of posters saying the OP should give up the cabin. And I just don't think we know enough about the circumstances, y'know? :)

I agree-----we don't know. I do know it is a hot button subject and I have every sympathy for the plight of handicapped people. My husband suffered a severe case of sciatica last winter and was wheelchair bound for a while and then had to use a cane for a month. We had a temporary handicap sticker for our car and it was most frustrating when people who didn't have stickers would park in the reserved spots. Fortunately my husband has made a full recovery but I still have a great appreciation for those with mobility problems and treat handicapped spots with great respect.

Not to mention that no one knows what the conversation between the TA and HAL was about, what happened and what took place. Everyone knows what happens and what it means when we ASSUME.:confused:

I agree-----we don't know. I do know it is a hot button subject and I have every sympathy for the plight of handicapped people. My husband suffered a severe case of sciatica last winter and was wheelchair bound for a while and then had to use a cane for a month. We had a temporary handicap sticker for our car and it was most frustrating when people who didn't have stickers would park in the reserved spots. Fortunately my husband has made a full recovery but I still have a great appreciation for those with mobility problems and treat handicapped spots with great respect.

Handicapped parking can be very deceiving. Just because someone SEES a person they BELIEVE to be able bodied just because they are not in a wheelchair does NOT mean that they aren't handicapped and that they are using the parking space that they don't need.

Assumptions can be sooooo totally off base.

My late DH had a handicap sticker and we utilized those spaces whenever they were available, too. I'm such a bag, I will on occasion say something to someone who is without a sticker and parking in a HC spot. (Not often, usually if I'm already cranky, y'know?) :) I'm glad your husband is recovered!

From the four corrupt attempts at creating a countdown clock I can see that OP is sailing 1/3/2010.

sdpoulin1: If you want to try again on making a countdown clock, use Internet Explorer (not Firefox or Safari etc) to create and install it, and then you can go back to using your preferred browser.

Or, you can edit the string created in your 3rd attempt, replacing the single character appearing between "2010" and "=Beach" with the string "&image"

Okay, thanks for posting my cruise date???? Not sure what that has to do with anything??? Not really sure I wanted it posted after the response I got here. Talked to a HAL rep after my TA was made out to be evil. She said they use the guar bookings to move people around if a HC room is needed, and that they usually do not fill the HC rooms so they are filled all the time with people who do not need them. So I guess I can rest easy knowing I"m not taking the room away from a person who needs it.Last thing I would ever do. Will think again before I post another question.

Okay, thanks for posting my cruise date???? Not sure what that has to do with anything??? Not really sure I wanted it posted after the response I got here. Talked to a HAL rep after my TA was made out to be evil. She said they use the guar bookings to move people around if a HC room is needed, and that they usually do not fill the HC rooms so they are filled all the time with people who do not need them. So I guess I can rest easy knowing I"m not taking the room away from a person who needs it.Last thing I would ever do. Will think again before I post another question.

TOO MANY Busy-Bodies on the HAL forum. Sorry that you had to endure such wrath. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Handicapped parking can be very deceiving. Just because someone SEES a person they BELIEVE to be able bodied just because they are not in a wheelchair does NOT mean that they aren't handicapped and that they are using the parking space that they don't need.

Assumptions can be sooooo totally off base.

In our province if you don't have a sticker, you cannot use a handicap spot. I was not making assumptions.

With regard to appearances being deceiving, you are correct. I had to work hard to convince my late father ,who had advanced COPD, to apply for a sticker. He couldn't walk very far without gasping for breath but he was afraid people would think he was taking advantage of the system because he looked so healthy. So I do understand and you made assumptions about me.

Archived