Delayed Embarkation June 6 on the Sapphire?

OnlineMom

I was surprised to receive an automated phone call from Princess this afternoon notifying me that our embarkation for the Sapphire on Sunday (in Seattle) will be delayed. I called Princess to inquire and was given no explanation other than 2 PM is the new embarkation time. We've only cruised a handful of times but this isn't something we've run into before - is it common? Any idea why the delayed embarkation? The Sapphire is in Skagway as scheduled today - doesn't appear to be delayed by weather or anything...

There are times they delay embarkation if an outbreak of noro virus is onboard, so they can throughly clean the ship to prevent the spread of the virus. With this many days notice, I would venture to guess that might be the reason.

I got the same call about 3 hours ago. We're flying in the night before, and have already arranged private transportation for the 6 of us, (meeting our son, who lives in the area, at the pier). So rescheduling/coordinating that is a pain in the neck! It would be nice to at least know the reason for the delay.

I got the same call about 3 hours ago. We're flying in the night before, and have already arranged private transportation for the 6 of us, (meeting our son, who lives in the area, at the pier). So rescheduling/coordinating that is a pain in the neck! It would be nice to at least know the reason for the delay.

At least you were inform there will a delay, I think this is the most important fact

< snipped> I called Princess to inquire and was given no explanation other than 2 PM is the new embarkation time. <snipped>

I called Princess just now. The person I spoke with didn't see anything in what she was able to access, but she put me on hold to try and find an answer. When she came back, she said the help desk person said the delay was for "operational reasons" and that they were using the extra time for "extra cleaning and sanitizing". There had been an "increased incidence of stomach flu" and they wanted extra time for taking care of that.

So, yeah, norovirus rearing its ugly head (and NO, she didn't actually say "norovirus", but most likely that's what it is).

Yes, BOBMJ, at least we were informed, which is helpful. But when I called my ground transportation contact he indicated that the cruise lines have been known to dispense various embarkation times--he's shuttled people on the same cruise, but one had embarkation @ noon, and one had it at 1 PM. So I didn't know if we were being shuffled around for that kind of reason.

I guess I'll reschedule our pick-up time . . . . :(

I called Princess just now. The person I spoke with didn't see anything in what she was able to access, but she put me on hold to try and find an answer. When she came back, she said the help desk person said the delay was for "operational reasons" and that they were using the extra time for "extra cleaning and sanitizing". There had been an "increased incidence of stomach flu" and they wanted extra time for taking care of that.

So, yeah, norovirus rearing its ugly head (and NO, she didn't actually say "norovirus", but most likely that's what it is).

Really? Interesting... Not happy with the answers (or lack of) I received from my first call, I phoned again and was told that they were getting into port late because of "congestion" so they had to delay disembarkation for the May 30 folks and for embarkation for us. Hmmm...

That's VERY disconcerting! I don't like getting different answers. How can they anticipate "congestion" 3 days in advance? I just called back, hoping to get a different person, but got the same answer I got before (again, not naming the illness they are trying to eradicate!).

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to get their story straight! I'd like to know whether it's cleaning or late arrival, so that I know what to do about arriving. If it's cleaning, then the 5/30 passengers will be long gone before we get there, but not so if it's your reason of "congestion" and late arrival.

Huh? I'm going on this same cruise and did not get a call from Princess. What does delayed embarkation at 2pm mean? I thought the ship wasn't planned to leave port until 4pm?

Delayed embarkation means that boarding will not begin until 2:00 PM.

Delayed embarkation means that boarding will not begin until 2:00 PM.

Oh, ok. Is the port like an airport? If we get there early, is there any place to wait around until boarding starts at 2? Were going to be arriving at the port around 12:30pm.

Speaking of arriving at the port, we were planning on taking a cab from Seattle airport to the port. Is this the best and recommended way to make that short trip? We did not book airfare through Princess, so I don't think we can take the princess shuttle...

We were on the Diamond a couple of weeks ago and experienced the same thing. We did not get a call but when we got to Canada Place there were signs saying that we would not embark till 2 pm. At the time we didn't really know what was going on (this was about 11 am as we had been in Vancouver for three days and had to check out of our hotel) but later realized that it was because of a Noro outbreak. We did actually go down there around 1 pm and they has started letting people begin the process. We hit there at the right time because the line was not very long at the time but filled up quickly.

As a side note I think the fact that they are doing this (if it is the Noro) is a good sign because our ship was given a clean bill of health two days into the cruise and no one got sick that we heard of. Better to clean it up than to just keep letting people get on.

Have fun in Alaska.

On my one day to Seattle last month I went to the Horizon Court and automatically used the Hand Sanitizer .Returning to fetch my dessert I used the Hand Sanitizer yet again mentioning that several years ago I had had a bout of Noro and have been extra careful ever since. The remark given back to me that they get alot of Noro on the Alaska runs....They didnot know why this was so.

The Race for the Cure is that day and part of the Hwy 99 Viaduct will be closed at least in the morning. That is one possible reason. And cleaning for Noro is another. It's good to know ahead of time so you won't be standing around with nowhere to go with 3000 of your new best buds. Just remember to plan for the worst, hope for the best, and pack lots of patience.

Oh, ok. Is the port like an airport? If we get there early, is there any place to wait around until boarding starts at 2? Were going to be arriving at the port around 12:30pm.

Speaking of arriving at the port, we were planning on taking a cab from Seattle airport to the port. Is this the best and recommended way to make that short trip? We did not book airfare through Princess, so I don't think we can take the princess shuttle...

even with self-booked fights, you can use princess transfers if you want. sorry i don't know about getting to the port from the airport.

even with self-booked fights' date=' you can use princess transfers if you want. sorry i don't know about getting to the port from the airport.[/quote']

Do you happen to know how I could arrange a princess transfer if I didn't book my flight through Princess?

\\

No, there is no place to wait other than standing in line outside. There are no chairs or benches or such.

I wasn't informed of this and neither were the other two parties I'm traveling with.

It may depend on if Princess has a contact number for you, or not. My daughter received a phone call, but my son received one that he couldn't answer, and there was no message left. We're assuming that was who the call was from. I don't know if they will make call-backs to the people not reached the first time around.

I know someone that works on the Sapphire. There is currently a "code red" onboard for Norovirus. :eek: A few crew members are in isolation. So it sounds like they may be sanitizing the ship on Saturday.

I was also wondering why the Alaska cruises have more Noro issues. Maybe it is because there are more first time cruisers and they are not as aware that Noro can be an issue. As an experienced cruiser, I am diligent about the hand sanitizers and take pre-cautions to ensure I am not exposed.

The hand sanitizers help, but nothing takes the place of good old soap and water. Wash, wash, wash. Then use the sanitizers to get what you picked up between your cabin and the Horizon Court.

Also, try to use your own restroom rather than public ones. That's how we handle it, and so far (knock on wood, as my mother would have said) we have never been ill, even when there was some illness on the ship.

We are just back from 24 days on three different ships, all sailing to and in Alaska. We were lucky that there were no illnesses on any of them.

What good would it due to know the reason anyway? You still are boarding later regardless.

If docking is delayed, then there's more possibility of passenger overlap, with congestion & disorganization at the pier. If it's for sanitizing, then they are shooing everyone off the ship as quickly as possible, and the overlap doesn't happen. We have to check out of the hotel @ noon, so having some idea of what's going on at the pier is helpful for me.

Archived