Sapphire Princess Review

Painter

REVIEW OF OUR CRUISE

Sapphire Princess Cruise 6th – 18th January 2005

We have arrived home from our wonderful cruise. Yes… the Sapphire Princess cruise ship is a magnificent venue for the holiday or a lifetime.

First of all price…We paid for an inside cabin. When we got on board we found out we had been upgraded to a window cabin….can you imagine how delighted we were! After checking our prices against the Princess smaller ship in the Pacific…our cruise was the “special” of all specials.

Embarkation: I don’t want to remember this as it was not what I expected….long lines of people standing in the rain …just waiting for some movement. No cover! Auckland Port is not geared for a large ship like Sapphire. However…I think by the time the Sapphire has to do this again, things will have improved because of all the complaints that would have been received.

The Princess Sapphire: A beautiful and wonderful staffed cruise ship. Cleaning goes on around the clock so everything is spotless and polished.

Our Cabin: We paid for an inside cabin and enjoyed a window cabin. We didn’t know about the upgrade until we went looking for our cabin. Wow!…I felt like a Queen. Our cabin steward Victor was great. We tipped him $20.00 as soon as we meet him and during the cruise. My hubby and I were amused as to how he arranged my “nighty” each night. It was so pretty I didn’t want to spoil his artistic efforts. As the weather wasn’t the best in New Zealand a cabin with a balcony wasn’t necessary. The chocolates on the pillow at night were appreciated.

Dining: We choose early sitting in the Traditional Dining Room. We had a table of eight fun loving cruisers. Our waiter Alex and assistant waiter Ceceileo were the best. They joined in the fun and were always eager to please. Our table did get a name for having the most fun. We ate our breakfast and lunch in the Santa Fee, Pacific Moon or Horizon’s Buffet. All the food was excellent. The steaks were the best I have ever eaten. Don’t forget to go to the Horizon’s Buffet between 3.30pm and 4.30pm for free ice cream. This is not advertised and a lot of people only find out about this when it is too late. Early dinner sitting fitted in with our early show times. Everything was timed to perfection.

Entertainment: This is as good on the Sapphire as what you can find anywhere in the world. The four dance productions were amazing. My grand-daughter just finished a university course in dance so I have viewed some of the best along the way. The magicians and comedy entertainers were outstanding. One comedian DON WARE was the writer for the Cosby Show. Music by Julie Wallace in the Crooners Lounge was delightful.. Alastair Greener was our fabulous cruise director with Frankie his very funny fall guy. I could go on and on…..

Ports of Call:

Wellington: I could recommend Rover Tours $35.00 for two hours or all day (Hop on hop off) Get shuttle to town walk to Information Centre. We got the cable car back to the city. Shuttle to ship.

Christchurch: The Antarctic Centre is a must. I pre-booked the snow-mobile ride (has another name) You must go into the Snow Storm Room This is for real. Get the shuttle to town… then a local bus to the Antarctic Centre.

Dunedin: The Cadbury Chocolate Factory is in the town centre. You must have a booking if you want to do a tour. I did this by email.

Hobart: We walked to the city centre. A local bus will take you around the area for a small cost.

Melbourne: We had family pick us up and take us to Geelong for the day. There is a free tram for the city tour.

Anyone going on this cruise ship is assured of a wonderful time. Things like seasickness …. I had this for one night when the sea was very rough…. can be fixed by going to the desk and buying some Dramamine. I felt better in two hours.

The SPANGLES: What a great group of people. These friendships were formed on the Cruise Critic …Roll Call Board up to a year before the cruise. It was like going on cruise with the family.

In Finishing: We must thank all the staff onboard the Sapphire Princess for making this cruise a wonderful never-to-be-forgotten time for us.

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

Marleneann...for Marleneann & Fred

I would suggest between 2.00pm & 3.00pm

We were there at 11.00am and had to stand in the rain until 1.30pm. Then crawled along a long line filling in papers as we went along.

There were so many complaints I am sure things will change.

strawberryblonde - there was problems in auckland with getting people off the ship which ment delays getting people on the ship! (I think they will learn from mistakes and avoid this occuring again)

We arrived at the port just before 12... At this time there were people still leaving the terminal with queues outside waiting for taxi/buses. We joined a queue very close to the door next to a 'embarking passengers' sign. About 10minutes later a Princess rep told us we were not in the right queue, took the sign away, and sugguested we go grab a coffee and return later on.

So we went into town and shopped- later returning at around 1:30. This time we joined the first of around 3?4 different queues! First security, then upstairs to immigration? then onto checkin. Each section had a area of winding queues - so there you are, you have been warned! If you are elderly or travelling with someone who requires assistance then contact a princess rep and avoid any of these problems. We were onboard at 3pm on the dot.

Great review. After our families mess with our P&O cruise that got canceled due to mechanical problems on the ship, we are really looking forward to our Sapphire Princess cruise out of Sydney.

I think after reading your review, I am even more eager to start my vacation. :D Thank you!

Phil...were you on this cruise....are you the same Phil that posted early in 2004 from Western Australia ?

Yes it sure was unorganized. My hubby was so mad when he had to fill out those forms going along in a line....when we could have done it, waiting in line, before the line started moving. He said they would not have been able to read his scribble.

I am sure things will change for the better.

....anyway...did you enjoy the cruise?

Marleneann.

Thanks for the great review, we are on the Sapphire on March 3rd and just can't wait!:)

Ladikara - we have a great roll call going for this cruise - jump over to the roll call board and say "Hi", you will be so welcome!! Wish I knew how to post a link to it but I've only just mastered "cut and paste"!!!!;)

Sue x

I just viewed the video of our cruise we purchased onboard.

It cost about $30.00.

You MUST purchase this.

It runs for about an hour and shows all areas of the ship, the entertainment and ports of call.

We are having the family over this afternoon to tell them about our cruise. This is perfect.

Marleneann.

Thanks for the great review!

We are on the ship on the 11th Feb.

A couple of questions do you have the Patters and did they have any Aussie Beer or Spirits like Bundy rum,to buy.

THANKS

Yes....I do have the Patters.

I don't drink so I am not too sure about the drink question. My hubby said they did serve Australian Beer in the Bars.

You will have a great time on your cruise.

Marleneann.

My partner Paul is a Bundy man and I can say for sure that they did NOT have any Bundaberg Rum on board. Instead he had coconut rum and coke which he really liked.

As for the beer I'm not totally positive but I think the only Aussie beer is Fosters which most Aussies don't drink!

Kim

Archived