Homewood Suites Question

shenaniganzz

I decided the best hotel to stay in is Homewood Suites. I read several threads that said they include parking for the duration of your cruise in the rates.

When I called the hotel directly, whoever answered (front desk I guess) confirmed parking is included. Then he transferred me to reservations. When I asked HER she "checked" and said her info is that parking is adjacent the pier for $12/day.

Now, I am guessing that the first person I spoke to is actually AT the hotel and the woman from reservations could be anywhere and doesn't know the specifics of that hotel? When I pressed her for more info, she had no idea.. she was just reading something on her computer. I guess if she was at the hotel, she could have confirmed with someone.

:confused::confused:

So, to confirm - parking for the duration of the cruise is included, right?!

I decided the best hotel to stay in is Homewood Suites. I read several threads that said they include parking for the duration of your cruise in the rates.

When I called the hotel directly, whoever answered (front desk I guess) confirmed parking is included. Then he transferred me to reservations. When I asked HER she "checked" and said her info is that parking is adjacent the pier for $12/day.

Now, I am guessing that the first person I spoke to is actually AT the hotel and the woman from reservations could be anywhere and doesn't know the specifics of that hotel? When I pressed her for more info, she had no idea.. she was just reading something on her computer. I guess if she was at the hotel, she could have confirmed with someone.

:confused::confused:

So, to confirm - parking for the duration of the cruise is included, right?!

Since Homewood Suites is the bargain-basement brand of Hilton, and there are hundreds of them, we don't know to where you are referring.

Just saw your post ...I live a few minutes from Homewood Suites it is really nice!! We do shared services with Edgewater ( I work for the Borough of Fort Lee) so I get the scoop from various code enforcement agencies on places. It is clean and really not any form of bargain basement. I have sent many cruisers there from these boards that loved it and yes parking is free. You can also get a car service from there to the port for $45 one way if you do not want to take the ferry. We have friends cruising with us the beginning of January staying there and the taking GW Taxi to the port. You will not be sorry you stayed there it is a great location.

Thanks so much for the reply!^ I'm relieved after reading it! :) I am definitely going to look into a car service for us. I have found the names of 3 different ones on these boards.

Also, thanks for the confirmation on the parking!

Happy for you that it is a nice one. They aren't all. I've had less good fortune, it seems.

Thanks so much for the reply!^ I'm relieved after reading it! :) I am definitely going to look into a car service for us. I have found the names of 3 different ones on these boards.

Also, thanks for the confirmation on the parking!

GW Taxi is the best you will ever find 201-363-0555 they have special rates from Homewood Suites and again living right here I can tell you they are the only ones I would trust. Everyone who lives in this area uses them, I would never hesitate to recommend them and you will not find a better deal that is legitimate!

you may want to check the bedbug reports website to see if there are any reports for this hotel.

BG

As I said in my original post I work in the next town and we share services with Edgewater The Health Deptartment gave them a clean bill of health and I have friends who stay there all the time.

:):)We stayed at Homewood in Edgewater on 9-11-10, the hotel is spotless! There is certainly nothing bargain basement about this hotel. We left our vehicle in the parking garage for 7 days and would not hesitant to do it again.

I did look around for bed bug reports and couldn't find anything obvious. I am a wee bit paranoid about it so I checked each hotel we were looking at. We'll still check the rooms when we get there, but I am pretty confident we will be happy with our choice!

I did look around for bed bug reports and couldn't find anything obvious. I am a wee bit paranoid about it so I checked each hotel we were looking at. We'll still check the rooms when we get there, but I am pretty confident we will be happy with our choice!

I am sure you will be reporting back that you loved it! Have a great trip

What port are you cruising out of?

It's not at all apparent, but the OP originally posted this on the NCL board, and the thread was subsequently moved to East Coast Departures by the moderators.

So, we can assume the OP is cruising on NCL, and therefore using the Manhattan cruise terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am departing on NCL 2 Jan 2011 and really did not want to spend $300.00 for parking on the pier. I checked out the Homewood Suites in Edgewater and the best price for one night is $269.10. Don't really see any cost savings after the ferry ride to Manhatten. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Hello,

I am departing on NCL 2 Jan 2011 and really did not want to spend $300.00 for parking on the pier. I checked out the Homewood Suites in Edgewater and the best price for one night is $269.10. Don't really see any cost savings after the ferry ride to Manhatten. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Hello,

The likely problem is that you need the room on a holiday, when hotel rates can be high. I just went to the Homewood Suites web site and arbitrarily picked Nov. 13, a Saturday, and without even looking for any type of discount (AAA, senior citizen, prepaid reservation, etc.), room rates started at $169.

Hello,

You can try calling them they have great discounts sometimes. I assume you are cruising on the Jewel? Please come and join our roll call. We have people on there that are staying at Homewood Suites. Not sure what they paid but they are coming in for New Years. I will check it out for you and post back.

I was poking around and found this - http://newarkbayonne.parksleepfly.com/

There is a Crowne Plaza in Harmon Cove Secaucus showing a rate of $93 for 1/1/11. Can't tell exactly what the deal would be with the parking, but it might be worth your while to explore it. It's showing under a park/sleep/fly, but it is not specific about the parking which makes me nervous. From Harmon Cove it is a quick and cheap bus ride into Port Authority and a cheap cab to the cruiseport.

If you check this out, let us know what the deal is.

I was poking around and found this - http://newarkbayonne.parksleepfly.com/

There is a Crowne Plaza in Harmon Cove Secaucus showing a rate of $93 for 1/1/11. Can't tell exactly what the deal would be with the parking, but it might be worth your while to explore it. It's showing under a park/sleep/fly, but it is not specific about the parking which makes me nervous. From Harmon Cove it is a quick and cheap bus ride into Port Authority and a cheap cab to the cruiseport.

If you check this out, let us know what the deal is.

Crowne Plaza in Harmon Cove is not the nicest place...it would not be something I would recommend, It may be quick but not quite so easy to hop on a NJtransit bus with luggage in the dead of winter and then have to grab a cab, I think if you have never been there or done it you should not recommend it. JMHO.

Mommyto2girls - I didn't recommend it. If you read my post carefully, I suggested that toyman57 explore the possibility. The LaQuinta in Secaucus is also on the web site list. Trip Advisor reviews are OK - a major complaint seems to be rude staff, but there's nothing new about that in the NY metro area.

Yes bus could be chilly in the winter, but so could the ferry from Port Imperial and a cab to the pier. For $50-55 toyman57 can arrange a car service, but that puts the total cost to a little over $200.

There are still other options that have not been suggested. toyman57 could stay in the Parsippany area (there is a 3* hotel on Hotwire for $52 + tax) and drive and park at Port Imperial for $10/day. He could also check out ICON parking in Manhattan for reduced parking rates.

I'm sure others might have creative suggestions.

Reading your post and having only 1 post on CC as Toyman57 does I would think it was a recommendation. Again just my opinion. I would also not highly recommend the ferry with bags in the dead of winter. I didn't mean that the bus could be chilly, I did not say that, I say it is a pain, it runs late is very difficult to schlep yourself in winter gear with suitcases onto the bus. These are commuter buses not sighseeing buses, they are not exactly luggage friendly. I do not understand why anyone recommends them to cruisers.

Everyone travels on a different budget and with different amounts of luggage. I try to discuss what the various options are - meanwhile others post to express their opinions. Ultimately it is up to the OP to evaluate these options and make a decision. For example, when we talk about taking public transportation from Manhattan to Bayonne, someone always seems to post saying "just call a car service". When we talk about hotel options in NJ, Brooklyn or Queens, someone always posts to "just stay in Manhattan". By talking it all through, hopefully the OP can arrive at a plan that is best for them.

Archived