Sun Drydock News

welove2cruise*

I found this posting from the Palm Beach Post -

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/travelsmart/2011/01/25/norwegian-sun-back-in-service-after-renovations/

"Norwegian Sun back in service after renovations

by Travel Smart

Norwegian Sun re-entered service today after undergoing a multi-million dollar 12-day dry dock during which the ship received extensive renovations. “We have a company-wide commitment to ensuring our ships are in excellent condition. Therefore, Norwegian Sun is the first of three ships this year that will enter dry dock for enhancements, along with several that will take place in 2012,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s chief executive officer. “We will continue to enhance and refresh Freestyle Cruising for our guests and are pleased to now offer a new restaurant choice on Norwegian Sun.”

Additional ships undergoing dry dock improvements this year are: Norwegian Dawn in May and Norwegian Spirit in September.

Norwegian Sun’s refurbishment to guest areas includes:

• Updated décor in all 33 of the ship’s suites;

• Improvements to the Kids Crew area which offers complimentary children’s programs;

• The addition of Moderno Churrascaria, the line’s new and popular Brazilian steakhouse (in the space previously occupied by Pacific Heights);

• Overall replacement of carpets and wall coverings in public areas.

In addition, back-of-house enhancements include:

• An energy conservation project focused on the ship’s HVAC system to save an estimated six million kilowatts per year (when complete in May 2011);

• Replacement of all potable water piping (continuing over the next 12-18 months);

• Propeller and rudder modifications to decrease power consumption by six percent;

• Removal and replacement of all lifeboat davit hooks with new state-of-the-art hooks to further ensure guest safety.

Norwegian Sun sails alternating Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries from Port Canaveral, departing every Saturday through April 7, 2011. The ship’s seven-day Eastern Caribbean cruise stops in Nassau, Bahamas; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten. On the seven-day Western Caribbean cruise, the ship will call in Cozumel, Mexico; Santo Tomás de Castilla, Guatemala; Belize City, Belize and Key West, Florida.

Beginning May 8 2011, Norwegian Sun will spend her summer in Europe sailing from Copenhagen, Denmark, for the first time in the company’s history, embarking on 15 nine-day Baltic Capitals cruises. Ports of call include: Berlin (Warnemünde), Germany; Tallinn, Estonia; an overnight in St. Petersburg, Russia; Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm (Nynashamn), Sweden.

Source: Press release"

We sail her this Saturday, so I've been very curious. I wonder what the cover charge for the Moderno will be.

I can't wait to get on board. :)

I'm sailing this Saturday....Can't wait! See you on board!!

(we have a meet and greet scheduled for Jan 31st...check out roll call and join us!)

I just realized you are from Charlotte...my fiance Brian is from Charlotte..and I'll be living there after June 1st..

we really should meet!

I know, I have to say I would have preferred the Pacific Heights. It would be nice to have the healthier fare option. I am not much of a meat eater to begin with, so it will just be one less option for us. :(

The lighter fare option was already gone when I sailed her in October, I believe that sometime in early 2010 NCL has severed its relationship with "Cooking Light" magazine, so it was just a nice place to eat. We never ate dinner there as we didn't really care to make reservations for a meal. We did eat breakfast there one morning, waffles, made to order omlettes, etc. It was nice quite area away from the buffet.

excellent! let the meat parade begin! I sail in February on the sun... the 12th... and I am glad to hear of this addition! I have dined at several Brazilian Steak establishments before and have been very satisfied.... if your a big meat lover this will be heaven for you! I promise you will not be dissapointed!:)

I know, I have to say I would have preferred the Pacific Heights. It would be nice to have the healthier fare option. I am not much of a meat eater to begin with, so it will just be one less option for us. :(

The "healthier fare" option was replaced a few years ago. Although we had it in Pacific Heights on our 2006 cruise on the Sun, when we were on her this past Sept/Oct the fare in Pacific Heights was called 'California fare' and among the entree choices, besides steak and fish, were flatbread options (similar to pizza) and a quesadilla choice.

Even so, I'm sorry to see Pacific Heights changed to another specialty restaurant.

I suppose that also means that waffles and omelets will no longer be offered there. That was a good option to MDR or buffet for breakfast.

The "healthier fare" option was replaced a few years ago. Although we had it in Pacific Heights on our 2006 cruise on the Sun, when we were on her this past Sept/Oct the fare in Pacific Heights was called 'California fare' and among the entree choices, besides steak and fish, were flatbread options (similar to pizza) and a quesadilla choice.

Even so, I'm sorry to see Pacific Heights changed to another specialty restaurant.

I suppose that also means that waffles and omelets will no longer be offered there. That was a good option to MDR or buffet for breakfast.

Why couldn't they still do waffles and such in there?

Thank you for posting this information. We are sailing on the Spirit leaving from NOLA on 10/30/11. What great timing. It appears the Spirit will be in dry dock for 2 weeks after the 9/18/11 cruise. Our cruise will be the fourth cruise after dry dock has been completed. I can't believe how lucky we are. It will also be our first cruise in an aft penthouse suite. I noticed all the suites were redone on the Sun. We are hoping this happens with the Spriit and especially to our suite 9710. We are also looking forward to trying out the Brazilian Steakhouse if this is included on the Spirit. So much to hope for...

Why couldn't they still do waffles and such in there?

They could but I doubt that they will since specialty restaurants are rarely used for breakfast. For example the steak house East Meets West is only open for dinner. So is Il Adagio, Le Bistro etc. So I wouldn't expect a Brazilian steakhouse to serve breakfast, especially waffles.

They might have Las Ramblas serve waffles and omelets. In 2006 Las Ramblas used to serve breakfast. Maybe they'll go back to doing that. It's a possible option.

They could but I doubt that they will since specialty restaurants are rarely used for breakfast. For example the steak house East Meets West is only open for dinner. So is Il Adagio, Le Bistro etc. So I wouldn't expect a Brazilian steakhouse to serve breakfast, especially waffles.

They might have Las Ramblas serve waffles and omelets. In 2006 Las Ramblas used to serve breakfast. Maybe they'll go back to doing that. It's a possible option.

What about Cagney's????:eek::D

What about Cagney's????:eek::D

We're talking about the Sun, and there is no Cagney's on the Sun.

I think making Pacific Heights into a Cagney's would have been preferable to making it into a Brazilian steak house.

There is also no Blue Lagoon on the Sun. I would rather that they'd made Pacific Heights into a Blue Lagoon. At least it would have kept its no extra fee status and could be used 24 hours so would be another option for breakfast.

Moderno on the EPIC has/had an $18 surcharge, and reading the new CC review it stated it will have a $20 surcharge on the SUN.

still cheaper than the 32.50 our local b. steakhouse charges.. "plus drink tax and tip"

still cheaper than the 32.50 our local b. steakhouse charges.. "plus drink tax and tip"

When we were in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the Brazilian steakhouse we ate at was the equivalent of $35 per person, with no drinks, and dessert wasn't included either, although the awesome salad bar was.

Does Moderno have waiters bringing around various meats on swords and they carve it right in front of you, or do you just order meats from a menu?

I just got off the Sun on Saturday (1st cruise after dry dock).. pacific heights was open for breakfast and lunch.. but changed to the brazilian steak house for dinner. They had a waffle station one morning, and breakfast pizza station the next morning.. not sure about the other days. ALso.. for lunch they had a pasta station and panini station. They had a small buffet for both meals.. mostly for soups and sandwiches. It was very good!

I just got off the Sun on Saturday (1st cruise after dry dock).. pacific heights was open for breakfast and lunch.. but changed to the brazilian steak house for dinner. They had a waffle station one morning, and breakfast pizza station the next morning.. not sure about the other days. ALso.. for lunch they had a pasta station and panini station. They had a small buffet for both meals.. mostly for soups and sandwiches. It was very good!

Love Pacific Heights. Glad to hear it's not gone totally to steakhouse. Were the buffet seating and lineups improved at all?

Archived