Rockley Beach (Accra) or Carlisle Beach

amistad

I have been having a hard time deciding which beach to go to for the day we are in Barbados. I have read this board, looked at Aplmac's pictures that are beautiful and looked up the Barbados tourism sites. If anyone has experienced both beaches could you please chime in? I am also interested in what each beach offers as far as food, restroom and changing facilities. The ideal beach would have beautiful sand and water, clean restrooms, good selection of food offerings, chairs and umbrellas for rent, someone offering massages, and not too many vendors trying to sell you something. Thank you to anyone that has a suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been having a hard time deciding which beach to go to for the day we are in Barbados. I have read this board, looked at Aplmac's pictures that are beautiful and looked up the Barbados tourism sites. If anyone has experienced both beaches could you please chime in? I am also interested in what each beach offers as far as food, restroom and changing facilities. The ideal beach would have beautiful sand and water, clean restrooms, good selection of food offerings, chairs and umbrellas for rent, someone offering massages, and not too many vendors trying to sell you something. Thank you to anyone that has a suggestion.

Although we did not experience both beaches, we did go to Rockley/Accra Beach, located on the South coast of the island. Rockley Beach was simply beautiful.

The powdery sand is a pinkish color and the gorgeous turquoise-colored ocean offered moderate size waves.

IMG_0359.jpg

Sun loungers are available to rent, but since we did not rent any, I can not say how much they cost.

Since Rockley Beach is lined with tropical casuarina, palm and sea grape trees, it does offer plenty of shade.

We simply put our towels down on the soft sand and sat under the shade of a large sea grape tree.

CarnivalVictoryCruise663.jpg

There are food kiosks on the beach or you can hit one of the restaurants, including Chefette (a fast-food restaurant) across the street from the beach. There are vender kiosks on the beach as well. Sellers stayed at their kiosks and did not come right down to the beach hassling us to buy things. Restrooms and changing facilities are also available.

Food and Beverage Kiosks on Rockley Beach

IMG_0373.jpg

Vendor Kiosks on Rockley Beach

CarnivalVictoryCruise676.jpg

On the far side of the beach is a boardwalk. At the time we were there it was one mile in length.

If not already, it will be extended right up to the capital of Bridgetown.

On the boardwalk facing Rockley Beach

IMG_0368.jpg

I have put together a youtube video with music of our day in Barbados. If you wish to see more photos and video clips of Rockley Beach, you will find this towards the end of this video.

Thank you for your answer and the pictures, this gives me a better idea of what Rockley Beach has to offer. I appreciate you taking the time to do all of this.

Glad I could help!

Can you buy beer / drinks at Rockley ? How much does the cab cost from the ship ?

Yes, you can buy beer and drinks from the food kiosks at Rockley.

Since we went to Rockley Beach as part of an island tour, I do not know how much a cab ride to get there from the ship would cost.

Thanks, it is so hard to decide what to do since we have never been there before. I even thought about getting the day pass for the Hilton, it looks very nice and clean, I really do appreciate everyone's help.

• 2 weeks later...
locals call it Rockley Beach, ===> That's what the map says, no?

its $35 cab,, taxi are a ripp off in Barbados. ===> Aren't they all, just about everywhere?!

u can take the bus. $1.75 ===> Wrong.

bus station 3 blocks from cruise ship, ===> Yes, but...

Locals call it Rockley Beach

mainly because that is the correct geographical name of the beach, on the map.

It would be a lot more accurate to say that locals call it "Accra"

because of the Accra Beach Hotel located towards the Western end of Rockley Beach.

$35 for a cab to Accra/Rockley? -you definitely got ripped-off!

$20 is more like it. ;)

Yes you can take the bus,but.. wrong fare quoted above.

Bus fares on the island are now the equivalent of US$1 per person, per trip/per direction

(recent upgrade in prices, long overdue). Bds. $ 2 per trip = US$1

Yes there is indeed a bus station about 3 blocks away from the Port,

but that nearby station handles the bus routes going Northward, along the West Coast.

To catch a bus bound for Rockley/South Coast/Oistins/Crane

you'll need to walk across town

(20 mins. to half-hour walk, thru the shopping center on Broad Street -and then a little beyond that!)

to the Fairchild Street bus station that serves the South Coast!

I've been to both :D For amenities I would say go to Rockley/Accra. The day we were there the surf was very rough and it was red flagged but I'm sure that doesn't happen every day and it sure didn't spoil our day. There are lifeguards there. I don't remember seeing any when we were at Carlisle. Carlisle has Lobster Alive and The Boatyard. First time we were there we camped out at Lobster Alive and had a great day. The 2nd time we wanted to camp out there but no one would get us a lounge chair. We were staying on the island and not cruising and there were no ships in port that day so I suppose they weren't in high gear. We walked next door to The Boatyard and were taken care of. The Boatyard does charge you ($10-$15 USD if I remember right) but that gets you a lounge chair with umbrella and a free drink or two (unless its changed since last May.) and if I'm not mistaken they will also take you back to the ship. The first time we were at Lobster Alive I believe we paid $10 each for a lounge chair and umbrella but that also got us 2 free drink coupons and they weren't watered down drinks :D I forget what we paid for loungers at Rockley but probably somewhere around $5 each? As you can see in the pictures above there are several little huts that serve food and drinks. I had the best rum punch of my life there so I think that is the deciding factor for when we return in April, lol.

You will love Barbados! It is breathtaking, the water is amazing and the people are so nice and friendly. I can't wait to get back there in about a month. Bon Voyage :)

I've been to both :D For amenities I would say go to Rockley/Accra. The day we were there the surf was very rough and it was red flagged but I'm sure that doesn't happen every day and it sure didn't spoil our day. There are lifeguards there. I don't remember seeing any when we were at Carlisle. Carlisle has Lobster Alive and The Boatyard. First time we were there we camped out at Lobster Alive and had a great day. The 2nd time we wanted to camp out there but no one would get us a lounge chair. We were staying on the island and not cruising and there were no ships in port that day so I suppose they weren't in high gear. We walked next door to The Boatyard and were taken care of. The Boatyard does charge you ($10-$15 USD if I remember right) but that gets you a lounge chair with umbrella and a free drink or two (unless its changed since last May.) and if I'm not mistaken they will also take you back to the ship. The first time we were at Lobster Alive I believe we paid $10 each for a lounge chair and umbrella but that also got us 2 free drink coupons and they weren't watered down drinks :D I forget what we paid for loungers at Rockley but probably somewhere around $5 each? As you can see in the pictures above there are several little huts that serve food and drinks. I had the best rum punch of my life there so I think that is the deciding factor for when we return in April, lol.

You will love Barbados! It is breathtaking, the water is amazing and the people are so nice and friendly. I can't wait to get back there in about a month. Bon Voyage :)

Carlisle is within walking distance though, correct? Rockley has the best drinks? We were set on Carlisle-- my DH even began calling it PARTY BEACH. Are we wrong?

i couldn't remember exact on the fare.. the bus i enjoyed taking both ways and was quite a walk but a good walk to the other bus station,, interesting to see many things while walking. beach get filled after 11am from the cruise ship. small beach, very nice waves and sand. bit windy.

• 2 weeks later...
locals call it Rockley Beach, its $35 cab,, taxi are a ripp off in Barbados. u can take the bus. $1.75 bus station 3 blocks from cruise ship,

Is that $35 for 4 people? $35 round trip per person? It will be just my husband and myself. Thank you!

we were there last week and spent a great day at Lobster Alive at Carlisle beach. Walked from the port straight up the main street to a local bus station. Bought tokens and got instructions to take the "Bridgetown Shuttle" which takes you10 minutes to the main bus station downtown. Then transferred to the #12 or #13 bus and a couple stops later (in front of a church) we were one short block walk to the beach. Took 30 minutes tops. Lobster Alive charge $15 for 2 chairs, umbrella and 3 x free drink coupons. Fantastic deal. Rum punch is highly recommended!!! We left around 2:30 and walked back to the port via downtown. Avoided the main tourist drag in favour of exploring the market areas one street over that the Barbadians us. Tried "sea grapes" from a vendor and bought some flavoured popcorn from another vendor. Fantastic day and total cost was only $20 US for two !!!

• 1 year later...
Although we did not experience both beaches, we did go to Rockley/Accra Beach, located on the South coast of the island. Rockley Beach was simply beautiful.

The powdery sand is a pinkish color and the gorgeous turquoise-colored ocean offered moderate size waves.

IMG_0359.jpg

Sun loungers are available to rent, but since we did not rent any, I can not say how much they cost.

Since Rockley Beach is lined with tropical casuarina, palm and sea grape trees, it does offer plenty of shade.

We simply put our towels down on the soft sand and sat under the shade of a large sea grape tree.

CarnivalVictoryCruise663.jpg

There are food kiosks on the beach or you can hit one of the restaurants, including Chefette (a fast-food restaurant) across the street from the beach. There are vender kiosks on the beach as well. Sellers stayed at their kiosks and did not come right down to the beach hassling us to buy things. Restrooms and changing facilities are also available.

Food and Beverage Kiosks on Rockley Beach

IMG_0373.jpg

Vendor Kiosks on Rockley Beach

CarnivalVictoryCruise676.jpg

On the far side of the beach is a boardwalk. At the time we were there it was one mile in length.

If not already, it will be extended right up to the capital of Bridgetown.

On the boardwalk facing Rockley Beach

IMG_0368.jpg

I have put together a youtube video with music of our day in Barbados. If you wish to see more photos and video clips of Rockley Beach, you will find this towards the end of this video.

Great rum up af that beautiful island. We will be at Accra next week thanks to your amazing video:)

This past January we took a van with a number of other passengers to Carlisle Beach (The Boatyard), $20.00 return. The pick-up time was prearranged, and there was no problem. We rented two chairs and an umbrella for $20.00. It's a beautiful beach, and while it's busy, we had a lovely beach day.

If you want to see both Carlisle and Rockley, you can take a cab to the Boatyard at Carlisle, spend a couple of hours there, then hop on a bus to Rockley (only about 10 minutes or so).

Spend a couple of hours at Rockley, bus back to the Boatyard and cab back to port.

Both are right along Hwy. 7 - next to impossible to get lost between the two. Just tell the bus driver where you want to go...

There's also a boardwalk which runs from the Hilton at the south end of Carlisle all the way to Accra.

Cheers, P:)

If you want to see both Carlisle and Rockley, you can take a cab to the Boatyard at Carlisle, spend a couple of hours there, then hop on a bus to Rockley (only about 10 minutes or so).

Spend a couple of hours at Rockley, bus back to the Boatyard and cab back to port.

Both are right along Hwy. 7 - next to impossible to get lost between the two. Just tell the bus driver where you want to go...

There's also a boardwalk which runs from the Hilton at the south end of Carlisle all the way to Accra.

How long a walk along the boardwalk from the Hilton would it be to reach Accra? We have walked 2 or 3 times from the cruiseship for Carlisle Bay beaches, both the Boatyard, and Lobster Alive. We love to walk along the beaches. Would it be possible to walk to Lobster Alive, then walk along the beach to the Hilton, then around the Hilton (not sure if we can continue along the beach), and pick up the boardwalk, and continue walking down to Rockley beach? That sounds like a wonderful morning. We can then hang out at Rockley, have lunch/drinks, then catch the bus back, or a cab. Are there cabs outside the Rcokley beach area to take back to the ship? How much is the one way fare for taxi?

Carlisle Bay is about a mile long, with The Boatyard and Lobster Alive at the north end and the Hilton at the south end.

The boardwalk starts about 500-600 yards (or so) south of the Hilton near Coconut Court and runs for about a mile all the way down to Accra.

I guess all in all, you're looking at about 1.5 miles from The Hilton to Accra. Rockley is only about 200 yards south of Accra on the same stretch of sand.

Rockley is right along Hwy.7, so no problem catching a cab or bus back to B'Town. Cab is about $20 and bus is $1. They drive on the left, so the busses heading towards town are stopping on the beach side of the highway.

Carlisle Bay is about a mile long, with The Boatyard and Lobster Alive at the north end and the Hilton at the south end.

The boardwalk starts about 500-600 yards (or so) south of the Hilton near Coconut Court and runs for about a mile all the way down to Accra.

I guess all in all, you're looking at about 1.5 miles from The Hilton to Accra. Rockley is only about 200 yards south of Accra on the same stretch of sand.

Rockley is right along Hwy.7, so no problem catching a cab or bus back to B'Town. Cab is about $20 and bus is $1. They drive on the left, so the busses heading towards town are stopping on the beach side of the highway.

Thanks so much for your fast reply. We are so looking forward to a beautiful walk along the coastline of Barbados. We could walk all day along the coast. Last month we were in Hilton Head, and took a walk down the beach. Before we knew it, we had walked 4 miles, and had to walk the 4 miles back! So we had a nice leisurely 8 mile walk! We will be sure to bring plenty of water to drink along the way. Thanks again!

I vote Rockley Beach. It is my absolute favorite beach of all we have been to. Our cab fare was not over $30 to get there. If you walk outside the pier and take a cab waiting there, it can be cheaper. I know we saved by doing that. There's also a restaurant down to the left while facing the water. Plus accross the street there's a couple of places. DH and I ate at a BBQ place accross the street and it was very good. Their bathroom facilities are nice at Rockley. The building there is not too old (don't know if someone mentioned therm or not) Wherever you end up, enjoy! Barbados is our favorite island.

• 1 month later...

We have taken a cab right when we get off cruise ship for 20$ each way. We love the beach and spend alot of the time in the water.

This Nov the highlight was eating at Oasis Beach Bar the blue roof Kiosk right by bathrooms. Someone in the water said we had to try the rum cakes and fish cakes. We sat there talking to the owner why she made our fish cakes. What a wonderful way to get the true flavor of the islands. My husband had two rum punches and we were glad we had a cab ride back.

We were at Rockley in oct. I would not to walk it, it took 15 - 20 min by cab. We paid the driver for two of us round trip, $20.00. There were others on board going to Carisles beach so the cost was less. That is the beach I want to go to when we are there in Feb, supposedly calmer seas in the winter than Accra. The water was the most beautiful shade of blue and there is a restaurant and bathroom facilities - Rockley has this amenities too.

Archived