Hawaii by Land & Sea – POA Cruise 5-14-2011

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:40 PM.
Sunny AZ
23,074 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Now that Webshots has announced they are closing on Dec 1st I will be taking this review out of my signature as of their closing date. All of my pictures will be nothing more than a big red X. I will be opening a Flickr account soon, but it won't help this review at all. Hopefully Flickr will not have the same problems as Webshots and any pictures posted through them will last a long time. I will be returning to Hawaii in 2014. Can't wait to do another Hawaii review!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

Brilliance of the Seas ~ September 1, 2018 ~ Trans-Atlantic Amsterdam to Tampa!

My Bucket List Cruises:
Mediterranean - Booked! 10/07/17
British Isles
Baltic
European River Cruise
Northeast/Canada Fall Colors
Alaska Cruisetour
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Happy Memories...
Big Red Boat 06/93 (Bahamas)~ Explorer of the Seas 06/05 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 04/06 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Monarch of the Seas 12/06 (Baja Mexico) ~ Monarch of the Seas 04/07 (Baja Mexico) ~ Golden Princess 01/08 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Explorer of the Seas 04/08 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Caribbean Princess 05/09 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Radiance of the Seas 09/09 (Cabo San Lucas) ~ Mariner of the Seas 05/10 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Carnival Spirit 07/10 (Alaska) ~ NCL Pride of America 05/11 (Hawaii)~ Allure of the Seas 04/13 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas B2B 05/14 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Oasis of the Seas 05/15 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 10/15 (Panama Canal) ~ Harmony of the Seas 10/16 (Transatlantic)

Oasis of the Seas 2015 Pictorial Review
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean B2B 2014 Pictorial Review

Allure of the Seas 2013 Pictorial Review!

Are you an Arizona Cruiser? Come join the fun! "Never Ending Circle of Friends"
Nova Scotia,Canada
1,367 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Thanks so much- I'll be re-reading all your info and taking your suggestions!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST CRUISES
1993- Carnival Ecstasy- Eastern Carib.
2002- Brilliance of the Seas-Western Carib.
2003- Celebrity Galaxy-Panama Canal
2004- Carnival Victory- Eastern Carib.
2005- NCL Pearl-Southern Carib.
2006- Carnival Freedom- Western Carib.
2007- Liberty of the Seas- Eastern Carib.
2007- Carnival Liberty-Eastern Carib.
2008- Costa Mediterranea-Western- Belize
2009- Crown Princess- Southern Carib.
2010- Grandeur of the Seas- Western Carib
2010- Carnival Dream Western- Belize
2010- Carnival Inspiration-Mama & Me- Eastern Carib.
2011- Carnival Miracle- Southern Carib.
2012- Jewel of the Seas- Western Carib.
2013- Carnival Miracle- HAWAII BABY!!! Apr./14
2014- Brilliance of the Seas- Western Carib.
2016- Brilliance of the Seas- Sundance Lakes Cruise
TN
17 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
This was a fabulous review & the pics are AMAZING!|

I am in early planning for my youngest daughter's HS graduation cruise. She wants to cruise TO Hawaii...alas, there aren't any cruises available during summer months. However, the information I gathered from your review has given me new insight. I appreciate it very much!

Speaking of your pics...would you mind if I 'pinned' one of them for a cruise contest?
Sunny AZ
23,074 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by alwaysbelieve
This was a fabulous review & the pics are AMAZING!|

I am in early planning for my youngest daughter's HS graduation cruise. She wants to cruise TO Hawaii...alas, there aren't any cruises available during summer months. However, the information I gathered from your review has given me new insight. I appreciate it very much!

Speaking of your pics...would you mind if I 'pinned' one of them for a cruise contest?
Not at all. Thank you. All I ask is that I get the credit.

My pictures, and everyone else's who were using Webshots, will no longer be supported by Webshots after Dec 1 (or earlier). I am in the process of reloading them onto SmugMug and will provide a link to them in this review when I am done. Unfortunately, it is way to late to edit the review itself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

My Bucket List Cruises:
British Isles
Baltic
European River Cruise
Alaska Cruisetour
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Happy Memories...
Big Red Boat 06/93 (Bahamas)~ Explorer of the Seas 06/05 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 04/06 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Monarch of the Seas 12/06 (Baja Mexico) ~ Monarch of the Seas 04/07 (Baja Mexico) ~ Golden Princess 01/08 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Explorer of the Seas 04/08 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Caribbean Princess 05/09 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Radiance of the Seas 09/09 (Cabo San Lucas) ~ Mariner of the Seas 05/10 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Carnival Spirit 07/10 (Alaska) ~ NCL Pride of America 05/11 (Hawaii)~ Allure of the Seas 04/13 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas B2B 05/14 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Oasis of the Seas 05/15 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 10/15 (Panama Canal) ~ Harmony of the Seas 10/16 (Transatlantic)

Windsor, Ontario, Canada
2,123 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Ginny, thanks so much for your detailed review. I will bookmark it for future planning and I am so sorry to hear about Webshots after you spent so much time on this review. I look forward to your 2014 trip review
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Epirotiki cruises -- Southern Carribbean--March 1989 and December 1991
Celebrity Century -- Western Carribbean--April 2004
Disney Wonder -- Bahamas--December 2006
Emerald Princess -- Eastern and Southern Caribbean -- January 2009
Island Princess -- Alaska --June 2010
Celebrity Eclipse--Caribbean--January 2011
Ocean Princess -- French Polynesia -- January 2013
NCL Breakawy to Bermuda -- September 2014
NCL Star --Caribbean -January 2016
NCL Breakaway to Bermuda --September 2016

79 days at sea...waiting to add 11 more!

Sunny AZ
23,074 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by psyfi
Ginny, thanks so much for your detailed review. I will bookmark it for future planning and I am so sorry to hear about Webshots after you spent so much time on this review. I look forward to your 2014 trip review
I have opened up a Smug Mug account and will provide a link for each Hawaii album here, in case anyone is still reading! The Webshots pictures will disappear shortly.

I am glad you enjoyed the review!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

My Bucket List Cruises:
British Isles
Baltic
European River Cruise
Alaska Cruisetour
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Happy Memories...

Sunny AZ
23,074 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Since Webshots has closed my picture links have disappeared. However, all of my Hawaii pictures are available on SmugMug if you still care to see them.

Here are the links:
Oahu Day 1

Oahu Day 2 (Pearl Harbor/Punchbowl)

Oahu - Day 3 (Turtle Bay Resort/North Shore)

Oahu Day 4 (Boarding the Pride of America)

Mauai - Day 1

Maui - Day 2 (Molokini Crater Snorkel Trip)

Hilo (Volcano National Park)

Kona

Kauai - Day 1 (including Smith Family Luau)

Kauai - Day 2 (AirVentures Hawaii & Napali Sailby)

Honolulu/Waikiki Post Cruise

Click on the link for the slide show for the best presentation.

I am planning another trip to Hawaii for May 3, 2014 - 13 nights on the Rhapsody of the Seas. (Honolulu - Vancouver) We are hoping to spend several pre-cruise days once again on the North Shore as we loved that part so much. This is a great itinerary. It includes an overnight in Honolulu and an overnight in Maui (Lahaina), 7 full days in Hawaii as part of the cruise (much more than most cruises, the same as the POA), 5 wonderful sea days, and a full day in Victoria, BC! Since we have the time to devote to an extended trip now we decided to go for it. If you are in the planning stages and haven't yet decided on a cruise we would love to have you join us. Aloha!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

My Bucket List Cruises:
British Isles
Baltic
European River Cruise
Alaska Cruisetour
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Happy Memories...

Windsor, Ontario, Canada
2,123 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Wish I could! Have a wonderful trip, I look forward to your review! And thanks for the updated links
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Epirotiki cruises -- Southern Carribbean--March 1989 and December 1991
Celebrity Century -- Western Carribbean--April 2004
Disney Wonder -- Bahamas--December 2006
Emerald Princess -- Eastern and Southern Caribbean -- January 2009
Island Princess -- Alaska --June 2010
Celebrity Eclipse--Caribbean--January 2011
Ocean Princess -- French Polynesia -- January 2013
NCL Breakawy to Bermuda -- September 2014
NCL Star --Caribbean -January 2016
NCL Breakaway to Bermuda --September 2016

79 days at sea...waiting to add 11 more!

Vancouver, USA
151 Posts
Joined May 2011
Your snorkeling photos are spectacular! Thank you for sharing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

"Somewhere down this travelled road, we start out young and then we grow old... We don't care, you and I, we'll cruise together." Dan Reed Network
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NCL Dawn Westeran Caribbean 2-19-17 ~ NCL Epic Western Mediterranean 6-19-16 ~ Crown Princess Mexican Riviera 2-13-16 ~ NCL Star Baltic Capitals 8-1-15 ~ NCL Epic Western Caribbean 2-16-14 ~ NCL Pearl to Alaska 9-15-2013 ~ NCL Pride of America (Hawaii) 12-10-2011
Southern California
20 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I don't remember how I ended up at your trip report, but after reading a hundred other POA reviews and reports, I enjoyed spending several days leisurely perusing your report and pics and have really appreciated your insights. Very entertaining, good writing (I'm an English professor, so I can say this with authority!), and super informative. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I know how involved it can be but you've done a lot of good for a lot of people. Many thanks.

PS: POA will be dry docked in April and we will be sailing 6/22/13, among the first several POA cruises to experience the renovations predicted by your captain. So excited!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed: 03/12/2016 ~ Crown Princess, Just Us Two to Mexico <> 9/29/2015 ~ Norwegian Jewel, Pacific Coastal Repo w/ the parents <> 6/13/2014 ~ Carnival Inspiration, Father's Day Weekend to Ensenada <> 3/19/2014 ~ Sapphire Princess, Best Friends/Husbands Spring Break West Coast Getaway <> 6/22/2013 ~ Norwegian Pride of America, Family Trip * First Time to Hawaii!
Sunny AZ
23,074 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by 4hamletts
I don't remember how I ended up at your trip report, but after reading a hundred other POA reviews and reports, I enjoyed spending several days leisurely perusing your report and pics and have really appreciated your insights. Very entertaining, good writing (I'm an English professor, so I can say this with authority!), and super informative. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I know how involved it can be but you've done a lot of good for a lot of people. Many thanks.

PS: POA will be dry docked in April and we will be sailing 6/22/13, among the first several POA cruises to experience the renovations predicted by your captain. So excited!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad I was able to help you out. Enjoy your cruise and the new POA! I would love to hear your thoughts about the islands and the ship upon your return.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

My Bucket List Cruises:
British Isles
Baltic
European River Cruise
Alaska Cruisetour
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Happy Memories...

Little Rhody
328 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Ginny-I am really enjoying reading your review and was so happy to see that you had a great view of the Napoli Coast from your aft balcony-We also have booked an aft cabin for our cruise in Oct. and I was beginning to consider changing it to a mid ship portside to ensure we would be able to view the coast from our balcony. I am sure by than we will be needing some time in a lounge chair. Thanks again for the wonderful pictures and in-depth review!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
4/18 POA Hawaii
8/16 Island Princess Denali Explorer Land and Sea Alaska
10/15 Jade Adriatic~ Greece
10/14 Island Princess Panama Canal Full Transit
11/13 POA Hawaii
03/12 Jewel BAHAMAS
09/11 Seabourn Legend Monte Carlo-Rome-Sicily
04/10 Explorer of the Seas Bermuda/Caribbean
09/09 Jewel to New England and Canada
02/09 Spirit to Western Caribbean
02/08 Crown Princess Caribbean
08/07 Pearl Alaska

Sunny AZ
23,074 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by skrebelr
Ginny-I am really enjoying reading your review and was so happy to see that you had a great view of the Napoli Coast from your aft balcony-We also have booked an aft cabin for our cruise in Oct. and I was beginning to consider changing it to a mid ship portside to ensure we would be able to view the coast from our balcony. I am sure by than we will be needing some time in a lounge chair. Thanks again for the wonderful pictures and in-depth review!!!
Yes - keep your aft balcony! I think it was the best view on the ship. Enjoy your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

My Bucket List Cruises:
British Isles
Baltic
European River Cruise
Alaska Cruisetour
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Happy Memories...

Little Rhody
328 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Thanks will do!! and if my pictures do not come out well I can just send folks over to check yours out They are BEAUTIFUL~~~
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
4/18 POA Hawaii
8/16 Island Princess Denali Explorer Land and Sea Alaska
10/15 Jade Adriatic~ Greece
10/14 Island Princess Panama Canal Full Transit
11/13 POA Hawaii
03/12 Jewel BAHAMAS
09/11 Seabourn Legend Monte Carlo-Rome-Sicily
04/10 Explorer of the Seas Bermuda/Caribbean
09/09 Jewel to New England and Canada
02/09 Spirit to Western Caribbean
02/08 Crown Princess Caribbean
08/07 Pearl Alaska

Sunny AZ
23,074 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by skrebelr
Thanks will do!! and if my pictures do not come out well I can just send folks over to check yours out They are BEAUTIFUL~~~
Thank you so much. You are very kind. The subject matter makes even me a great photographer! Your pictures will be beautiful, too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

My Bucket List Cruises:
British Isles
Baltic
European River Cruise
Alaska Cruisetour
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Happy Memories...