Yet another smuggling alcohol question!

lynyrd

Yes, another lame question from a newbie!!! I have read all the posts on how to bring your own beer and such on board, but it is my understanding that the beer you purchase on board is in bottles. If you brought cans of beer with you do the people who clean your room question why there are cans instead of bottles in your trash?

Thanks

lynyrd

Beer, wine, champagne, sodas and water are allowed to be brought aboard, in moderation. It's only hard liquor you have to smuggle. Even if you brought excess amounts of beer, smuggled, it wouldn't matter if the cabin steward saw cans instead of bottles, since you are allowed to bring your own.

The only time I had to give up the booze I was carrying onboard was when my DW pointed out to me in a loud voice,after I had passed thru security, that I had forgotten to turn in the bottles to the young lady tagging them with cabin #'s for delivery at the end of the cruise.We still laugh about that one.Enjoy your cruise.

In my experience, 8 cruises, it all depends on how they have the area were you board the ship set up.

In Martinque, security was tight. My husband had trouble getting himself back on the ship. He had a small piece of foil from cigarettes in his pocket and he kept setting off the detectors. They also had a xray belt set up that you could not bypass.

However on other cruise they had the xray belt off in the corner and if there were quite a few people getting back on board you could stroll right up the steps.

We have already purchased 12 packs of soda and beer in port and carried it on ship without even trying to hide it. We were told that it was ok as long as we drank it in our cabin.

Has anyone brought in boxed wine?? I heard that it is easier to bring it on since they don't catch it as easily... I know they let you bring in bottle or two.. but we four can finish two bottles at one dinner easy... any ideas??

First, they do sell beer in cans and plastic bottles. You are not supposed to bring beer onboard, BUT everyone does. We packed a softsided cooler on wheels w/ beer and smirnoff coolers. Bubble wrapped the glass ones. Checked it through. They do not xray the checked luggage. I guess they figure the airport does that. Anyway, I tipped the cabin steward 20 bucks the first day and he kept it filled w/ ice all week. Just remember wrap it then check it. Dont carry it on, they'll take it...

The only time I had to give up the booze I was carrying onboard was when my DW pointed out to me in a loud voice,after I had passed thru security, that I had forgotten to turn in the bottles to the young lady tagging them with cabin #'s for delivery at the end of the cruise.We still laugh about that one.Enjoy your cruise.

Mr. Man is still laughing about the time I nearly caused him to lose his precious Cubans when I got flustered at customs. When asked to see inside a bag I was carrying, I stuttered "I don't have the cigars in here!"...customs agents were laughing so hard that they just waved us on through.

It must be a "wife" thing...

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I know there are 500 posts on here about taking Beer and Wine on board. I think I got getting on the ship down.

Now here is my stupid question. I will be flying into Tampa and going straight from the Airport to the Pier. I read on some posts about bringing a case of beer in a suitcase. My question is if I do that on the airline, won't it get flat due to the pressure and being shaken?

Is there somewhere near the Pier in Tampa to stop and buy a case of Beer. I know I can throw my wine in my carryon with no problem carrying it though the airport but I didn't quite get how that works with beer. We are taking a litttle later flight the I hoped and won't have a lot of time to stop and repack all my suitcases.

It just seems throwing Beer and even pop in a suitcase and checking it on a plane, makes it seem like it might not be so good once we get on the ship.

Thanks for any advice.

We were wondering the same thing about the plane. I'm thinking I'm going to bring 20 oz. btls of diet pepsi...but the beer thing, we weren't sure of. Does it matter if it's bottles or cans on the plane? Can you pack that sort of thing on the plane? If not, is there a place on the way from the airport to the pier in Jacksonville, FL? We're leaving in 9 days and still not quite sure about how we're packing the beer/alcohol thing.

There is also a Publix Supermarket that is on the way to the pier from the airport (or so the Tampa Bay/Channelside tourism office tells me.) Just remember, you are coming on a Sunday and they might not sell beer or wine until after a certain hour, if at all!

June

There are several minit market type places along airport road after you leave the airport and before you reach I 95. I am sure your driver either car or van will stop for you. Be sure to tell him as soon as you leave the terminal as there are two routes to the port and one has no markets along the way. If you get close to the port there is a gas station at the exit from 9A to Hecksher Dr. No places within walking distance to the port.

Have fun

I can get cans of beer for under fifty cents a can in the Chicago suburbs (30 pack of Michelob or Bud), or pay nearly a buck a can at a liquor store in New Orleans, or four bucks a can on the ship.

I read on some posts about bringing a case of beer in a suitcase. My question is if I do that on the airline, won't it get flat due to the pressure and being shaken?

It'll be fine; Beer and/or soda are perfectly okay for transport by airplane in checked baggage or carry on, they will not be harmed by the vibration or pressure change -- the pressure differential on a can changes much more when you shake it up than it ever could on an airplane.

There is one catch --

If you're flying in the heat of summer, your luggage might sit on the tarmac for a few hours; the heat can adversely impact the flavor -- it probably won't explode, but will likely taste nasty.:eek:

We were on the Celebration last October and the beer was actually in cans. However, their cans also are specially made with the Carnival logo on the back on the can. I don't think that people look at your can that closely to know the difference though...just take a coozie with you.

Archived