Seas around Cape Horn in Jan/Feb

schub229

Was just wondering after reading about very high waves making ships unstable as they go around the southern tip of South AMerica-Cape Horn-and how previous cruisers have found the weather in January and February impacting the Regent South American cruises in that area. We don't usually get seasick, but should we should bring something for the 2012 cruise there? Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

That is summer in South America, so the weather would be better then than other times, one would think. I have been to Patagonia in January (their summer). Some days were beautiful, but there were a couple where wind was blowing at gale force. When our plane landed in Punta Arenas (a true miracle that we landed safely), the wind was blowing so hard that they could not open the cargo doors to get the luggage out.

SO no one can predict what the weather will be like for sure. You take your chances. I don't usually get seasick, but I would bring at least some Bonine and Dramamine on such a cruise.

Hi Pat,

We did Antarctica on Crystal this past Jan/Feb and were blessed with calm seas throughout the cruise, including around the Horn and up and down the Drake Passage.

That was not the case for the ship cruising right before us or for the one coming right behind us both of which got hammered by heavy seas. It is a total crapshoot, so the best approach is to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.

There is seasickness medicine on board available to all so unless you are prone to it (which you mention you are not) and have a particular type that works for you, don't bother bringing anything with you.

Good luck and happy sailings.

We were on a Radisson cruise to Antarctia in January a few years ago and it was "Drake Lake" going - but on the way back Capt. Moulds warned us of rough seas.

We were low and amidship and it wasn't a problem for us but some on higher decks felt it - there were reports of pax being tossed out of beds etc.

You can't control the weather but DO NOT pass up a chance to go to Antarctica - you'll LOVE it!

I agree with TedC. I went to Antarctica on an expedition ship of 45 passengers in 2003 and then in 2005 went around the Horn on a big cruise ship. Both were wonderful. So, you are tossed around a bit. Lots of fun. I wasn't thrown out of bed but my closet doors opened one night and all the shelves with clothes shot across the room. Very exciting. Keep your eye on the horizon and you will be fine. Both trips are similar but different, if that makes sense. The scenery is breathtaking on both trips.

We did Antarctica on an expedition ship in 2009. The Drake had 25 - 30 foot seas with 70 m/h winds. Did Antarctica this year on the Mariner and had the "Drake lake".

Go ready for anything...!

Too bad Regent cut out going to Antarctica for the 2012 and onward voyages. The the circle South America is a great trip even with out that part though.

We went around Cape Horn on the Mariner in January, 2008. before we came out of the Beagle Channel the Captain (Alfredo Romeo) told us that the wind was blowing hard at about 140km/hr and that the seas MIGHT be too rough for us. In which case he would turn around and return to the calmer waters of the channel.

As we sat at dinner in Signatures we noticed we were rocking. And then we also noticed that there were fewer and fewer people in the restaurant. We ended our meal and went to the Observation Lounge. Just as we came off the lift we heard a huge crash (!) and one of the glass cases that held a Japanese sculpture or doll or something crashed to the floor. A real mess! Which of course was quickly cleaned up.

We went into the Lounge to find it packed - about 300 people were in there, including the Captain. I asked him if the seas were dangerous and he laughed! No, he said, nto dangerous - apparently the wind had dropped a bit - but rocky. And we were able to sail all the way around the Cape (photo below was taken right there, Calvados in hand!) We were able to go outside and though windswept and hanging on, had a great time going around. The Mariner was relatively stable in those seas. But we certainly rocked and rolled.

Now - the Drake Channel which you must cross from ushuaia if going to Antartica is something else. It is notorious for very high seas. not for nothing do they call them the "Roaring Forties" and "Howling Fifties" !! If I were going to Antartica I would certainly have some sea sickness pills on hand. And in the US you can buy a patch as well which you put behind your ear (illegal here in Europe but that is another issue!).

Seems like many of you experienced Drake's Lake and we're hoping for that, too, but will definitely bring some Dramamine or Bonine along with us--just in case.

Many thanks for your information-very helpful.

:)pat

Archived