PG concerns

imcpa

My wife & I are considering a 2012 PG cruise, but have these concerns. Can anyone comment on these with your own experiences?

1. We love to have bottle of champagne in the room daily for breakfast and getting ready for dinner. This was easy on Silversea and done on Regent (but not as easy). Can this happen on PG?

2. The restaurant hours, for all 3, seem very limited. I know the grill has snacks after 2pm, but 2 hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner seem unreasonable. Why do they do this?

3. Having to make reservations for dinner concerns me. I don't like to be on a schedule on vacation. They should be show up when you want, with the risk it may be full. Can you just show up and still get a table?

I know room service is included, but we love to be out and about to eat.

Thanks,

Peter

1. We love to have bottle of champagne in the room daily for breakfast and getting ready for dinner. This was easy on Silversea and done on Regent (but not as easy). Can this happen on PG?

Alcoholic drinks are included. However if you want bottles, I think you are looking at the following pricing per PG web site:

Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Brut N.V. 69.00 Yellow Label, Reims

Louis Roederer Brut Premier N.V. 86.00 Reims

Taittinger Brut Prestige Rosé N.V 110.00 Reims

Moët et Chandon Dom Pérignon 2000 199.00 Epernay

Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin La Grande Dame 1998 242.00 Reims

Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blanc 1998 271.00 Reims

Krug Grande Cuvée N.V. 292.00 Reims

Louis Roederer Cristal 2000/2002/2004 439.00

2. The restaurant hours, for all 3, seem very limited. I know the grill has snacks after 2pm, but 2 hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner seem unreasonable. Why do they do this?

I'm looking at a recent Paul Gauguin daily showing following service hours:

Breakfast: Room service from 6:30 am to 10 am, continental breakfast from 6:30 to 11 am at La Palette and service from 7 to 9:30 am at La Veranda.

Lunch: At La veranda and Le Grill from noon to 2 pm.

Snacks: Le Grill 2:30 to 4 pm.

Dinner: 7 to 9 at Le Veranda and Le Grill and 7 to 9:30 pm at L'Etoile.

3. Having to make reservations for dinner concerns me. I don't like to be on a schedule on vacation. They should be show up when you want, with the risk it may be full. Can you just show up and still get a table?

L'Etoile is open seating. Show up and you will be seated. La Veranda and Le Grill require reservations as there capacity is limited.

IMCPA,

The ship is run exactly as it was under Regent.

Other than the champagne which is now off the basic included drinks ( sparklings and cremants are still included). The seatings are no different really. You still make reservations in the regent alternative restaurants as you do in Le Grill and La Veranda here.

I much prefer the service on the PG compared to the regent ships. The staff are wonderful and make every effort for your comfort. The room service menu is decent as well.

My wife & I are considering a 2012 PG cruise, but have these concerns. Can anyone comment on these with your own experiences?

I know room service is included, but we love to be out and about to eat.

Thanks,

Peter

Wow! A bottle of champagne for breakfast and another while getting ready for dinner? You're my kind of traveler.

Worrying about the availability of food on the P.G. is like worrying there won't be enough sand on the beach. Seriously.

My wife & I are considering a 2012 PG cruise, but have these concerns....
Surely you jest?

Paul Gauguin is an award-winning luxury ship offering gracious Polynesian hospitality in the South Seas. There is little to quibble about ... certainly not the dining room hours or having to make reservations in the specialty restaurants! Want champagne? Just ask. Prefer something else from room service? Just ask. While you're aboard Paul Gauguin, it really IS all about you! Relax and enjoy.

We have been on the PG twice and have booked a PG cruise from Tahiti to Fiji for our 5th anniversary next year. The ONLY disappointment we ever had was on our last cruise. We ordered the pecan pie from room service and discovered that they had a new pastry chef who made it differently!

We have been on the PG twice and have booked a PG cruise from Tahiti to Fiji for our 5th anniversary next year. The ONLY disappointment we ever had was on our last cruise. We ordered the pecan pie from room service and discovered that they had a new pastry chef who made it differently!

OMG!!! Sounds like a deal-breaker to me.

H

Archived