Debit Card/Sign & Sail card Woes

pryd

Just returned form the Legend on the 11th. I used a Debit card for my sign and sail card charge account. Using the internet onboard the Legend, I watched as they faithfully debited from the account approx $64 to $68.00 each day on the 8 day cruise. The total was keeping pretty close to my actual running total from my reciepts and the Folio review from the cabin TV.

When I got the final statement the last night everything was matching. Until today when I checked my debit account and they charged the TOTAL Amount of my Sign and Sail account AGAIN to my Card. We are talking TILT ...Over the limit fees...Lights and Sirens....Of course this is Sunday and all the offices are closed.

Just and FYI. I guess Carnival forgets that Debit cards are like cash and whenever they treat them like credit cards with their daily holds and then whop on the final total in adition to those holds, there is not the usual 30 day grace period for settling of the accounts. So iof you use your Debit Card for your cruise plan on depositing DOUBLE the amount that you plan on spending.

pryd

Ray

This has been discussed several times on here and that is one of the troubles using a debit card. The amount they are putting on your card each day acts as a "hold", then the real amount is charge through, and it takes some time before the hold is lifted... Debit cards are great, but you just have to make sure you have enough for the hold AND the actual charge, at least for a while. I'm sorry you experienced this, I know it is a bummer...

I'll be using a debit card as well....thanks for the heads up. I planned to put some money on my shipboard credit ahead of time and take travelers checks as well. I may be able to settle the account before I leave the ship, so maybe the holds will be ok for a few days, since they won't have to charge anything to the card at the end of the trip.

Thanks for the replies. I guess this is just another life lesson. Save the Debit Card for Groceries and use a Credit Card for Cruises....LOL

I am almost certain that either Carnival or PayPal will be able to "Fix" this tomorrow. I just hated viewing the Bright Red Negative balance on my PayPay Debit card.

pryd

Ray

I wonder if it depends on the bank. I was on the Valor last month and used my debit card. There were two amounts listed as "pending" but these were for two of my photo gallery purchases. No other holds or pending charges, not even the tip charges for 2, when I returned home. These 2 charges were removed when the S&S total amount appeared as pending before it was actually charged. I returned 2/28 and wasn't actually charged until 3/2. When the charge appeared on my statement, it was removed from the pending amounts at the same time. It must depend on how the banks handle it.

On our 2 Carnival cruises, we went to the Purser's Desk, put down cash, which was credited to our S&S card, on the last night of the cruise, again went to the Purser's Desk, and received back what cash was left. On NCL, I used a credit card to set up my S&S card, but then again, on the last night, I paid the amount due with cash, so it never went onto my credit card.

We like to make it so that when the cruise/vacation is over, we don't get a bill a month later.

Works for us.

Matt

We too had heard of problems with using a debit card, so we ended up using both. When we checked in, we used a credit card to have them use for the 'holds' and purchases. Then on the last night, we went to the pursers desk and settled our account and paid it using our debit card.

We had called the bank in advance to advise them of a large purchase from the cruise line, so we knew it *should* be ok (different banks have different limits and rules on their debit cards-check first!!). That way, we paid everything off totally using the debit card, and any 'holds' or other purchases on the islands would come in via the credit card and could be resolved there.

The other reason for this was that allowed us to keep our debit card protected, as we didnt use it except at the end of the cruise, and then only for the shipboard account. We used a credit card for all island purchases, since credit cards are generally 'safer' to use in foreign countries for protection of your account.

I wouldn't worry about the negative balance on the paypal account. It will return to normal when the holds are reversed or 10 days have elapsed. You may get an email from paypal, but they won't take any negative action in such a short amount of time (10 days) and there aren't any service charges applied for going negative.

Much better to have the paypal account negative for a little while than your checking account negative (lot's of fees)

Thanks for the replies. I guess this is just another life lesson. Save the Debit Card for Groceries and use a Credit Card for Cruises....LOL

I am almost certain that either Carnival or PayPal will be able to "Fix" this tomorrow. I just hated viewing the Bright Red Negative balance on my PayPay Debit card.

pryd

Ray

I prefer the cash at time of boarding scenario. It keeps us more in tuned with what we are spending. If you're nearing your deposit amt' the purser will call and let you know...it's always worked for us.:) We're going to use the AMEX Travel Funds card on our next cruise, however, so we'll see how that works.

Here's an FYI re both debit & credit cards... not so much for amounts be charged but for reporting lost or stolen. Before you leave, be sure that you have a 'local' type number not just an 800. I work for a telco and the 800 numbers that we use in the US 99% of the time do not work outside of the country! By a local type number, I mean area code + phone number. Generally if you have a credit or debit card issued by your local bank you can report lost or stolen even if they're closed through their automated answering system by pressing whatever button it says and it routes your calls.... but when you get into the credit companies.. there is not local 'brick and mortar' bank to call. If you lose or have a card stolen.... you don't need the stress of not being able to reach the card issuer:eek:

Just returned form the Legend on the 11th. I used a Debit card for my sign and sail card charge account. Using the internet onboard the Legend, I watched as they faithfully debited from the account approx $64 to $68.00 each day on the 8 day cruise. The total was keeping pretty close to my actual running total from my reciepts and the Folio review from the cabin TV.

When I got the final statement the last night everything was matching. Until today when I checked my debit account and they charged the TOTAL Amount of my Sign and Sail account AGAIN to my Card. We are talking TILT ...Over the limit fees...Lights and Sirens....Of course this is Sunday and all the offices are closed.

Just and FYI. I guess Carnival forgets that Debit cards are like cash and whenever they treat them like credit cards with their daily holds and then whop on the final total in adition to those holds, there is not the usual 30 day grace period for settling of the accounts. So iof you use your Debit Card for your cruise plan on depositing DOUBLE the amount that you plan on spending.

pryd

Ray

I had the exact thing happen on my Spirit cruise 2 years ago. It was nasty! Took several phone calls to get it straight.

We have a credit card company that monitors for fraud and possible stolen cards. If they see a large purchase they call our home and put a hold on the card. I called before our last cruise they gave me a special phone number to call and also noted my card stating I may have purchases occuring outside of the country. We also paid off our balance on the last day at sea with cash at the desk.;)

Wow....I still intend to use my debit card (only for sail and sign) but I am a bit worried about these holds. I may use it to set up the account....but I still plan to add shipboard credit before the cruise, and I will be taking travelers checks for extra cash and on-shore purchases. I will probably use those to settle any remaining account balance before I leave the ship so that even if there are holds, there won't be any actual charges.

Also be aware that most debit cards have a maximum daily charge. For instance my bank considers Friday (pm only) Saturday and Sunday one charging day (because it all hits Monday am) I can not charge over $500.

Most holds are on your account for three business days also. So if your last day of the cruise is Sunday and Carnival puts through a $500 charge the actual charge hits your account Monday and the hold stays until Wednesday. Again this is my banks policy (they said most banks do it the same way) so make sure you ask your bank for theirs...

We ended up putting down Cash and just watchewd our folio and went to the pursers desk and refueled when needed. I would do it again that way.

$500 for Fri-Sun? That's just crazy. I would be bank-shopping. Most banks do put a daily limit for ATM and a daily limit for point of sale transactions. Most seem to be between 1K and 3K for POS though.

My last bank had no limit for POS - other than how much money was available in your account.

Also be aware that most debit cards have a maximum daily charge. For instance my bank considers Friday (pm only) Saturday and Sunday one charging day (because it all hits Monday am) I can not charge over $500.

Most holds are on your account for three business days also. So if your last day of the cruise is Sunday and Carnival puts through a $500 charge the actual charge hits your account Monday and the hold stays until Wednesday. Again this is my banks policy (they said most banks do it the same way) so make sure you ask your bank for theirs...

We ended up putting down Cash and just watchewd our folio and went to the pursers desk and refueled when needed. I would do it again that way.

We ran into the debit card problem 2 years ago.

I used a card that had a $250.00 limit per day.

We found out right away that the tips are deducted and then the shore excursions all within a 24 hours period. (about $400.00)

So it was a trip down to the prusers office to try and get them to split up the charges over 2 days.

No luck.

I had to use another card, this time a PayPal debit card, to which they put another hold on.

At the end of the cruise they charged the PayPal account the entire sum.

It took 10 days for the holds to be released.

One on the original debit card and the other was the hold on the PayPal card.

Last month we solved the problem by using travelers checks to fund our S&S account.

I suggest not using a debit card for an S&S account.

Way too much hassle.

It seems to me that it might be simpler to take your debit card to walk of shame or also know as the ATM. That way you wouldn't have to worry about carring around alot cash, nor would you not tie up your debit card. Then use the cash on your S&S account

Or does my memory deceive me, and there is not an ATM on board?

Tis better to have cruised and..........never mind

Mike

$500 for Fri-Sun? That's just crazy. I would be bank-shopping. Most banks do put a daily limit for ATM and a daily limit for point of sale transactions. Most seem to be between 1K and 3K for POS though.

My last bank had no limit for POS - other than how much money was available in your account.

I agree. My bank is a credit union. The limit on ATM withdrawals is 500 per day, each day is separate including weekends. The maximum purchase with a debit card is pre-set at $1000. I can up the limit just by calling but I've never had to make a purchase that high in one day, $1000 isn't too bad.

What about paying in cash? Can you do that? I was going to use my debit card, but now and not sure how I want to pay.

Depending on the length of the cruise, they will require a deposit of $100 - $350 per person for cash deposits. Just read it in my tickets that I received today. I wouldn't use a debit card. Ties up your checking/savings because they put a hold on it for the length of the cruise, and if you go over the normal amount, they increase the hold amount.

This is one place where a credit card is an essential. We have one just for cruising.

Mark T.

Archived