How old is too old for a backpacker or yha?

I my youth I have stayed in youth hostels, but we are both in our 40's.

The prices for these types of accommodations are much closer to what we are used to paying for an economy hotel at home, though I am pretty sure the accommodations are more like college dorms, even with a private room. For I few days I can rough it before my cruise, but are we just way to old to even think about this type of accommodation in AU?

A few I've seen online have great views and locations, but all young people in the pics. My husband and I would of course book a private room and not a 6 person bunk room.

I'm sorry, I don't know for certain, but I don't think there is any age limit. The majority will be young, but there is likely to be older people as well.

The main reason I've replied though, is to let you know that the YHA in Sydney at the Rocks is meant to have 5 star views over the harbour. It is quite new, and from what I've heard is meant to be really good. It's worth booking that early if you can.

I hope you enjoy your stay, and have a fabulous cruise! :)

Friends who are much older than you (in their 60s) have stayed in Youth Hostels and felt quite comfortable. Anyway, does it really matter if you are a bit older than some of the guests? Nowadays, someone in their 40s isn't even middle-aged. :) I don't think you would have to rough it too much, but there could be a bit more noise from the other guests than you would get in a hotel.

There are another couple of options -

Book a hotel room on the website Wotif (I think I have the correct name).

If you are looking for a hotel in Sydney, consider the Ibis Hotel near Darling Harbour. I understand the rooms are fairly small but it is otherwise quite OK.

Have a fantastic cruise.:)

A little off topic , but I view the cruise ships when they are in Circular Quay on the YHA web cam .When I am looking it up sometimes on google , I get directed to the other Sydney YHA ,which is in Central Sydney. So there are 2 YHA's in Sydney , Sydney Rocks and Sydney Central .

There is no age requirement. Some hostels cater very specifically for youth on the move and do not offer private facs rooms. These are found mostly around the beach oriented coastal towns or near to seasonal work for backpackers on a working holiday. The city based hostels are different and are used by budget travellers of all persuasions - you do not need a backpack as a passport! Another option are Y hotels, usually run by the YWCA - there are good ones in both Melbourne and Sydney - I have stayed at both.

Colleen

We stayed at the travelodge wentworth ave sydney in november. It was either $120 or $125 cant remember for the night, buffet breakfast and midday checkout. The shuttle from the airport dropped us right at the door $15 each. Next morning we walked just one block to Elizabeth St and got the free (number 555) bus that took us to circular quay. I booked the travelodge on their website direct.

I have stayed in youth hostels all over the world when I was in my 40s and 50s as a single traveller, enjoying the experience but I would pay the extra $ for a reasonable price hotel.

Booking hotels is more of a personal issue to do with location, cost and style preferences. Some will say a cheap hotel out of the way is best however when you add up travel costs it makes more expensive central city hotels look allot better when they are in walking distance to things.

I am not sure what hotels charge people in the US as internet proxy settings block us from finding out, but you should bear in mind that any place in Australia has service factored in and therefore tipping is not expected. Am I right in suspecting hotel prices in the US are cheap because people tip over there?

I personally will pay a higher price for a hotel just to have peace of mind with security, location and safety. I would be nervous about booking a cheap hotel in case it is in some run down area with a high crime rate.

I have been specifically looking at the YHA Sydney Rocks Circular Quay area. The views are fantastic and the facility is brand new. It has internet service and newer brighter looking rooms. Some of the "cheap" hotels in the area look not so nice.

Sydney is a big city, so I would expect the prices to be higher, I'm just trying to find something that won't bust my budget. We are taking our cruise from Sydney to Honolulu, and want to spend a few nights in Sydney and maybe a night or two in Honolulu and have some extra money to spend on excursions. I could easily spend $800 on my hotel expensese in Sydney or maybe try a place for a little less and have $300 to $400 more to spend on a couple of excursions in Polynesia.

Wotif is a possiblity, and several people has suggested I try priceline when I'm a little closer to the cruise date. I was thinking it would be nice to have a room right there near the Circular Quay just for convenience in getting to the ship. I've also been reading reviews and considering a few possibilities on trip adviser. On one hotel booking site the Jolly Rodgers back packers comes up as highly recommended, again as an earlier poster mentioned probably because it fit the needs of people seeking this type of budget accomodation. I probably am really looking for something between budget and luxury.

For Sutho, in the US the less expensive hotel like Motel 6, La Quinta, and Redroof Inn have very limited services and usually people do not tip in those types of hotels. In the fancy hotels it is customary to tip the bellman, and some people tip the housekeeping staff, but it is not the usual custom. In small to mid size towns, even like San Diego or Anaheim CA, or tourist towns like New Orleans or Ft. Lauderdale, one can find a decent hotel room with a king bed for two people in the $80-$120 range. There is a lot of competition which keeps the prices competitive. These would be the discount type of hotels mentioned above. If you go with a 4 Star or better you are probably looking at $200 plus. In big cities, in the central business district, the prices are probably always going to be in that $200 plus range, maybe even higher. At off times of the year, one can find good deals on even the resort hotels. For example, summer is definitely the off season in AZ because of the heat. We have taken our kids for a weekend to enjoy the pools and water slides at the Westin La Paloma, winter rates are $225 or more a night, and summer rates are $89.

Anyway, I may try some other possibilities first, and then keep this in mind as a back up plan. The views from the roof are really beautiful!!!

I think I have a fair idea where the one is in the Rocks you are talking about. It looks fairly new and modern if it is the one I recall seeing.

The hotel prices look similar for Sydney. Sometimes CBD location it can be $300 to $500 here for 5 star - they are the ones that have location in Sydney.

I think the rocks is fairly central and when I stay overseas I like to stay in walking distance to most things and you will find that with the location you are choosing.

Could not resist this quote from a review of the Rocks YHA. Could almost be a review of a stateroom on a Princess cruise - apart from the tea and coffee making of course.

"Our private room was a good siza, had decent storage and even had a kettle and coffee/tea provisions. Staff were helpful and friendly. There was no party atmosphere but the location has plenty of pubs/clubs if that is what you are keen on. They even sold gluten free cakes and biscuits! "

Colleen

went to have a look at the central and railway square YHAs some years back to see what they were like...would they be places i would recommend to visitors? yes!! actually, i would stay there if i was a visitor in sydney (but it is my home town so i would not need to stay there...lol).

bright, clean, well located for transport routes, huge kitchens available if you wanted to cook too. lots of activities on offer if you wanted to stay in on wet days.

sydney harbour YHA is in the rocks area..up from circular quay but accessible on foot via connecting stairways. yes, that view from the rooftop looks fabulous. have walked past this place but not checked it out. if getting to'from there with luggage, it would be advisable to get a taxi.

the irony is that, even though you are at the sydney harbour YHA and can be 15 minutes away from the overseas passenger terminal(one of the cruise departure points in sydney), you'll need a taxi for your luggage.

all age groups would fit in there.

Nothing wrong with YHA at The Rocks - brand new, historical location, great view, great aussie pubs next door. Its located in Cumberland St right next to the 5star Shangri-La and 200 metres to Bridge Climb (a must do in Sydney). Bit of a haul with luggage - but you're young and it's all down hill to the ship if it departs from the OPT at Circular Quay. Grab a shuttle from Sydney Airport (bookings from Airport Concierge at Arrivals lounge).

An alternative would be Old Holiday Inn at The Rocks (George St) and very close to ship.

If your ship departs from Darling Harbour (which I doubt) then the Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf (not Ibis Darling Harbour) is cheap, new and convenient.

One warning - not all "hotels" in Oz are accomodation type - they are just pubs.

Have a great time.

One warning - not all "hotels" in Oz are accomodation type - they are just pubs.

Have a great time.

I believe that under the Liquor Laws all hotels in Aus have to offer accommodation, but some of them are old and you would not want to stay there - the bathroom would probably be a shared one down the hall.

Thanks for the advice, we still have plenty of time to explore all our options.

I did get the name partially wrong on one of the hostels that got good reviews, it is the Jolly Swagman, not the Jolly Roger.

Sydney seems pretty easy to get around in and some of the accomdations offer airport shuttles, which might also be an option unless you've heard something terrible about them?

Very excited to have the chance to visit the Land of Oz.

I did get the name partially wrong on one of the hostels that got good reviews, it is the Jolly Swagman, not the Jolly Roger.

Sydney seems pretty easy to get around in and some of the accomdations offer airport shuttles, which might also be an option unless you've heard something terrible about them?

Very excited to have the chance to visit the Land of Oz.

Airport shuttles are good. Check out Kingsford Smith Transport, the company that operates the shuttles for cruiseships. They also operate shuttles to accommodation places in central Sydney. Last time we used them the cost was AUD$15 pp. Sometimes we get a taxi because that costs around $40 and we don't have to wait.

Airport shuttles are good. Check out Kingsford Smith Transport, the company that operates the shuttles for cruiseships. They also operate shuttles to accommodation places in central Sydney. Last time we used them the cost was AUD$15 pp. Sometimes we get a taxi because that costs around $40 and we don't have to wait.

Agreed, but be careful of the touts that hang around near where the shuttle buses are parked - it's illegal in Oz to tout (ie offer and sell fares). Go to the Concierge desk or Info desk where you can buy shuttle tickets or alternatively prebook.

The Jolly Swagman is located at Kings Cross/Potts Point - a bit out of the way unless you would be on QM2!, she docks at the Naval facilities . Kings Cross used to be a lively Bohemian style suburb. Not a place to be wandering around in this day and age at night. It's renowned in Sydney for its night life of dubious distinction! The Rocks is a better choice.

The Jolly Swagman is located at Kings Cross/Potts Point - a bit out of the way unless you would be on QM2!, she docks at the Naval facilities . Kings Cross used to be a lively Bohemian style suburb. Not a place to be wandering around in this day and age at night. It's renowned in Sydney for its night life of dubious distinction! The Rocks is a better choice.

Thanks for the hint, we are not really looking for dubious night life, but maybe a place to enjoy a glass of wine and good meal and music, and then off to bed close by.

There are a couple of pub hotels with shared bath and bed and breakfast type accommodations for around the same price in holder historic buildings. Do you think one of these places or the YHA would be a better choice.

The Rocks YHA would be a better place, especially if you can afford a room with the view on the harbour/Circular Quay.

When I looked into this option in 2010 I found that the room was above my budget and I settled on the Novotel near Paddy's market and near Darling Harbour. A small room, but had view on little square with trees, a large bathroom and yummy room service food.

It was also just across from China town, where we had a nice budget dinner one night.

There is also a Novotel at Darling Harbour which is a bit dearer.

You probably have already researched these hotels, because I have written to you about these a while back. So if you can afford the Rocks YHA I would go for that, because the view from the roof top is amazing.

Try hotels.com, they have several hotels under $100 like this one.

Challis Lodge

2 stars

21-23 Challis Avenue, Potts Point, 1011 Australia 866-539-0036

I did my share of backpacking and hostelling in my younger days too but nowadays it is pretty easy to find discounted hotel rooms online. Wotif.com and Priceline are good options too or use credit card points or get a hotel chain credit card. Priority Club Visa is a good one.

Archived