Feb 9 Ft. Lauderdale 5 pm (depart)

Feb 10 Key West 9 am - 7 pm

Feb 11 At Sea

Feb 12 New Orleans 10 am (arrive)

Feb 13 New Orleans 2 am (depart)

Feb 14 At Sea

Feb 15 Half Moon Cay 9 am - 4 pm

Feb 17 Ft. Lauderdale 7 am (arrive)

Well, it looks like 2013 will be the natural breaking point for us to try other vacation avenues (Atlantis? Pied Piper? Stay tuned!). Absolutely nothing against the itenerary- I'm sure lots of people will be (justifiably) super-excited! But for us- a flight to FLL, only to cruise home, then back to FLL to fly BACK home is just not an easy sell. Now, if the port of New Orleans had any decent ships and the trip EMBARKED from NOLA? Oh, I'd be totally up for that! :D

Soooooo.... unless we're out of town for another trip, we shall meet the Eurodam at the dock and offer up navigational advice to any New Orleans newbies!

First bit of advice for the people who are going: Watch the weather! The weather for Mardi Gras can be anywhere from pleasant and sunny 60's to 70's all the way to miserable and raining 30's to 40's with everything in between. Like a Boy Scout- be prepared for all possibilities! :cool:

Ooooo I love fog! What happened?

We arrived New Orleans late morning Fat Tuesday, it was a grey dreary day with some rain. Over the day, the fog rolled in.

Scheduled to depart at midnight, by that time, Coast Guard shuts down the port. Passengers are told to be back on board at 0800.

0800, Port still closed. All must remain on board as we could depart at any time, Charlie Rounds is pacing nervously.

Noon, We are eating lunch in the MDR. The Zuiderdam departs, Still foggy. HAL announces Progresso has been canceled and we are bound for Nassau.

It was about an eight hour stop in Nassau, not exactly the most gay friendly destination, but it was the only alternative.

The only advantage to the day time departure were the sights along the Mississippi. There are some gorgeous Plantation homes along the shore. The fog was less intense as we moved down river.

The late afternoon tea dance was fog shrouded, as the ships fog horn was sounding. Somewhat eerie.

We arrived New Orleans late morning Fat Tuesday, it was a grey dreary day with some rain. Over the day, the fog rolled in.

Scheduled to depart at midnight, by that time, Coast Guard shuts down the port. Passengers are told to be back on board at 0800.

0800, Port still closed. All must remain on board as we could depart at any time, Charlie Rounds is pacing nervously.

Noon, We are eating lunch in the MDR. The Zuiderdam departs, Still foggy. HAL announces Progresso has been canceled and we are bound for Nassau.

It was about an eight hour stop in Nassau, not exactly the most gay friendly destination, but it was the only alternative.

The only advantage to the day time departure were the sights along the Mississippi. There are some gorgeous Plantation homes along the shore. The fog was less intense as we moved down river.

The late afternoon tea dance was fog shrouded, as the ships fog horn was sounding. Somewhat eerie.

We remember that cruise. We were on it too. The fog gave a mystical appearance to the city and the Mississippi River. It was neat.

Well, it looks like 2013 will be the natural breaking point for us to try other vacation avenues (Atlantis? Pied Piper? Stay tuned!). Absolutely nothing against the itenerary- I'm sure lots of people will be (justifiably) super-excited! But for us- a flight to FLL, only to cruise home, then back to FLL to fly BACK home is just not an easy sell. Now, if the port of New Orleans had any decent ships and the trip EMBARKED from NOLA? Oh, I'd be totally up for that! :D

Soooooo.... unless we're out of town for another trip, we shall meet the Eurodam at the dock and offer up navigational advice to any New Orleans newbies!

First bit of advice for the people who are going: Watch the weather! The weather for Mardi Gras can be anywhere from pleasant and sunny 60's to 70's all the way to miserable and raining 30's to 40's with everything in between. Like a Boy Scout- be prepared for all possibilities! :cool:

I'm sad to say that myself and a few of my friends will not be on the RSVP 2013 cruise. We will be looking at Atlantis and Pied Piper also for our Spring vacation.

Living in Ohio where it's usually cold and snowy [not the case this year since we haven't had any snow this season], taking a RSVP cruise to the Caribbean warm weather has always been something for us to look forward to during the Winter months. If 2013 was a year when Mardi Gras was later [ 2014 Fat Tuesday is 04MAR], I might had thought twice about it, but early February in the Gulf of Mexico and in New Orleans could be iffy with warm weather. It's not so much about the ports, I would be happy with just staying on the ship and enjoying the time hanging out by the pools with friends if the weather allowed it. I will miss the day at Half Moon Cay

Mardi Gras in my younger partying years was a blast, but the thought of dealing with the crowds and lines to get a drink or food just doesn't sound like a good vacation.

And we did it on board so we could get our "Dam" Suite...no discounts on those, very unsure about the weather.

I found you can get reserved grandstand fix for parades, seems good as you have bathroom access and might now have to fight the mob so much. I mentioned it to Jeff and he seemed to think it was worth looking into for a shore excursion. Leo and I are definitely not crowd people.

We will be keeping an eye, we want to go to Alaska this year and RSVP might be considering that for 2013, if they do we will switch and spend August 2012 in the South of France, then Alaska with RSVP, if not we book Alaska this year. I only want 1 Gay trip a year. (Hey I live in Gay Central in NYC.. a vacation is getting away from that!)

I'm sad to say that myself and a few of my friends will not be on the RSVP 2013 cruise. We will be looking at Atlantis and Pied Piper also for our Spring vacation.

Living in Ohio where it's usually cold and snowy [not the case this year since we haven't had any snow this season], taking a RSVP cruise to the Caribbean warm weather has always been something for us to look forward to during the Winter months. If 2013 was a year when Mardi Gras was later [ 2014 Fat Tuesday is 04MAR], I might had thought twice about it, but early February in the Gulf of Mexico and in New Orleans could be iffy with warm weather. It's not so much about the ports, I would be happy with just staying on the ship and enjoying the time hanging out by the pools with friends if the weather allowed it. I will miss the day at Half Moon Cay

Mardi Gras in my younger partying years was a blast, but the thought of dealing with the crowds and lines to get a drink or food just doesn't sound like a good vacation.

While I enjoyed myself on the 2010 & 2011 RSVP February cruises, I'm with you Ross on the 2013 cruise. Coming from Michigan, I too, would like a much more tropical spin to my vacation. It looks like Pied Piper has a promising Caribbean cruise set up for February 2013. It hit's some spots I've yet to see, so that's probably what I'll end up booking.

We will be keeping an eye, we want to go to Alaska this year and RSVP might be considering that for 2013, if they do we will switch and spend August 2012 in the South of France, then Alaska with RSVP, if not we book Alaska this year. I only want 1 Gay trip a year. (Hey I live in Gay Central in NYC.. a vacation is getting away from that!)

It seems that Rich is considering Alaska again for RSVP. I would not be surprised if in the summer 2013 there will be Alaska trip again. Considering the hints he dropped on the ask RSVP session the last cruise, and the low sells of this summer trip, it might just happen.

After being to Alaska with RSVP in 2009, I don't think I would do it again.

I so wish RSVP will branch into the more "exotic" destinations.

I so wish RSVP will branch into the more "exotic" destinations.

I havn't booked for 2013 either! *humph*. Typically the tropical destination gets my vote. I've been to Key West and spent time in Nola for Mardi Gras, therefore the only pull would be to spend a week with my BFF Squirrl Friends and enjoy Big Gay Al's reunion.

Mardi Gras can be a hoot, and with 2,000 gay men, I am sure it will be. There is other stuff to do in Nola than Bourbon, but I am sure that is a main draw.

Exotic locations for RSVP would be the bomb. Travel to said exotic locations is the kicker. At least for me.

Feburary for this frozen tundra inhabitant always seems to fit with work and life scheduels. Great way to get a taste of summer and enjoy the tropics, not to mention work on my tan!

Maybe see you on board! 8-)

Hippie!

I have been waiting for this itinerary for a while and have never been to New Orleans. Carnival in Curacaou with RSVP a few years ago was incredible.

BTW guys: I was on an airplane flying over the RSVP cruise as it was leaving Ft Lauderdale in Feb and I had no trouble picking out the RSVP ship.

I have been waiting for this itinerary for a while and have never been to New Orleans. Carnival in Curacaou with RSVP a few years ago was incredible.

It will be good to see you again, Jon. And you are right, the Carnival in Curacao was great, so Mardi Gras in NOLA should be amazing.:p

Archived