Princess Credit Card

hospsafe

If memory serves me correctly, about 5 years ago there was much discussion on here about the value of Princess credit card. I didnt pay much attention to it because it was still relatively easy to use airline miles. Well, now that the airlines have made their miles practically useless, can we revisit the subject?

For those that have a Princess cc, what are your thoughts about it? Is the value there or do you think the Sea Miles cc is a better deal?

I have one, but stopped using it when they sent me a notice that any business related charges would not earn points. The Capital One Venture card is a better deal as you get a 2% cash back on all charges.

If memory serves me correctly, about 5 years ago there was much discussion on here about the value of Princess credit card. I didnt pay much attention to it because it was still relatively easy to use airline miles. Well, now that the airlines have made their miles practically useless, can we revisit the subject?

For those that have a Princess cc, what are your thoughts about it? Is the value there or do you think the Sea Miles cc is a better deal?

We have a Princess Visa card and it's been good value to us because we cruise often with Princess accumulating double points for each $ spent with Princess Cruiseline. We just had $500 taken off a monthly statement in exchange for 40,000 points. We've been using our card more instead of airline cc's because we are finding it quite difficult to book reward flights using our FF miles.

I like the idea of the cruise cc but being Canadian I don't think we can apply for one. Maybe I am wrong?

I believe it's available to US residents only. Seems a little ironic that Brits, Canadians, and other Commonwealth residents can't get it, since it's issued by Barclays, an old English bank. Guess the catch is that it's a product of their American subsidiary.

. Well, now that the airlines have made their miles practically useless, can we revisit the subject?

What exactly has changed to make airline miles useless? I don't keep up on all the CC offers so maybe I am just out of the loop. I have to fly to ports and with rising airline costs and Airline miles usually being worth more than cash back CC offers, it has been a good way to help with cruise costs. My southwest card hasn't been too bad.

We have one which I use for Princess charges. I just read on another thread that they only give OBC for increments of 10,000 points. I will be sure to have an increment of that amount before our next cruise, but not more as this may be our last Princess cruise after 5 with them. I don't like the way they are canceling cruises and changing ports after final payment. We are trying Celebrity in a few weeks. In the meantime, there are better cards for travel that give more points and have better redemption.

Square, between my wife and I, we have about 260,000 Delta Sky Miles. Delta has drastically limited the number of Sky Mile seats and at the same time increased amount of miles required to redeem. For instance, last Sunday I was trying to redeem miles for our cruise from Austin to Southhampton in July. Within twin hours of me talking to Delta and looking on line, the miles required went from 90,000 to 150,000 per person for a round trip coach ticket. The number of flights were cut almost in half. Did I mention it would cost me almost $800 just to redeem the miles? All of the legacy carriers are playing this game. I too have a Southwest card (fly them almost every week.) and for domestic free flights there is no better airline or card IMO. But for years I was Gold or Platinum on Delta and now I can't use what I have earned. Time to pay down the Delta Amex and move the balance to Princess or Carnival.

Thanks for the heads up. I've never had the Delta card. Are the princess Visa perks any better than just the .01 for every $1 you get on a regular cash back card? I thought Southwest's points tended to be something like .0125 for every $1 when used for flights but other than that I haven't seen much better than the standard.

Ok, I checked out the Princess Visa site and I guess I don't see it as being any better than a standard cash back card. Basically you get 1 point for every dollar you spend and the only time you get double that is when you pay for a Princess Cruise or use it onboard a Princess cruise ship. If you sail a lot than the double points might add up, but there are others that pay 3% more for gas, or 2% on groceries that would probably add up faster for me personally. If you cruised multiple times a year the double points might kick it up, but at this point I'll just use my statement credits from other cards as my "OBC".

ETA: I see the point conversions get higher as you get more and more points. So if you really burn through the points it might be a decent deal. I'll have to look it over a bit more.

First time redeeming points on my Princess Card. I redeemed $150.00 in OBC. How does this show up on my Princess account. I did not see it on the account. Thanks

Just print out your receipt and take it with you. Either it will already be credited to your account or you will get a voucher in your cabin to redeem at the purser's desk. It will not show on your personalizer.

Looks like you only really get a bonus once you have 40k in points. At that point you get a 25% boost in value. 40K in points = $500 towards a cruise while 10K in points = $100 towards a cruise. That being said, the initial "give away" points for signing up for the card is only 5K ($50) while you can typically find a cash back card deal that has $100 to $250+ for signing up. To me it's a pretty average deal. If you put A LOT on your card (while paying it off every month of course) and you travel on Princess often enough to where the double points for them really add up it might be a superior deal to some others. Personally I don't cruise that often and it would take me quite awhile to spend 40K on a card.

Just print out your receipt and take it with you. Either it will already be credited to your account or you will get a voucher in your cabin to redeem at the purser's desk. It will not show on your personalizer.

Actually - it will show up on your personalizer:

1) Log into cruise personalizer using the account. Make sure you use an account with the same name provided when you redeemed the points.

2) On the right hand side, click "view booking summary"

3) On the next screen look along the right side and click on "View Travel Summary, Boarding Pass & Luggage Tag"

4) On the next screen, look along the right side for "Special Services".

You should then see your OBC.

Archived