Newbie with questions on wine policy/price

mrstlt

On one hand, I hear that you can't bring your own wine onboard and then on the other hand, I've read people bringing their own wine to the table? What is their policy? Or where can I find it?

Please give me a reality check - how much is a glass of wine or other alchoholic beverage?

We are travelling on Constellation in two weeks and I can't wait - no matter the cost of wine - just want to be prepared!

Hi, plenty of people bring their own wine. If you do, there is a 15.00 corkage fee.

I can't tell you an exact amount of a glass~I believe it varies. I am sure other folks can give you more details.

The prices on wine by the glass on Celebrity varies according to the type and quality of the wine. Generally you are going to pay around $5 for a decent glass of wine or a bar liquor mixed drink and around $3.5 to $5 for a beer depending on whether it is a domestic or an import.

Here is a cruise review site that has the bar price lists from a number of cruise lines including Celebrity where you can get additional details.

http://cruiseclues.com/barlists.htm

I have heard of people coming home with bar bills in the $100's of dollars so just be careful when you order a round of drinks for you and your new friends.

Have a great next cruise.

This info is from one of the wine menus

BY THE GLASS

Sparkling $5.50

Champagne $9.00

White from $4.75 to $9.50 (5 offered)

Rose`/Blush $5.25 (2 offered)

Red from $4.75 to $8.50 (5 offered)

PORT Fonseca "Late Bottled Vintage Port" $5.95 (1 offered)

Most bottles are running $28 to $35, plus the 15%, so a bottle around $34 is going to hit you up at around $40. You get 4 glasses to a bottle. I generaly do carry a couple of bottles of Shiraz as I'm not wild about their choices.

A sampling of wine prices by the bottle:

WHITE WINES(51 offered)

American - range from $22 to $85 ( 16 offered)

French - range from $19 to $245 (18 offered)

Italian - range from $24 to $67 (5 offered)

German - range from $20 to $32 (4 offered)

Spanish - range from $22 to $32 (2 offered)

Chilean - range from $21 to $22 (2 offered)

Australian - range from $29 to $31 (2 offered)

New Zealand $28 (1 offered)

Greek $24 (1 offered)

BLUSH WINES (2 offered)

$19 and $21

RED WINES (54 offered)

American - range from $26 to $135 (19 offered)

French - range from $19 to $285 (21 offered)

Italian - range from $24 to $94 (6 offered)

Spanish - range from $22 to $39 (4 offered)

Chilean - $22 (2 offered)

Australian - $33 (1 offered)

Greek $34 (1 offered)

We are travelling on Constellation in two weeks and I can't wait - no matter the cost of wine - just want to be prepared!

I won't post my usual weekly cut-and-paste, but rest assured, you CAN bring it with you.

If the FTP gods are with us, you may have some luck clicking on the link below. Fireguy was good enough to hijack a wine list which I've scanned. This link will take you to a site with a variety of documents, within which you'll find the wine list. I recommend you right click the Main_Dining_Wine_List.pdf entry and when asked, copy it to someplace useful on your computer for reading. Alternately, roll the dice and hit the second link and see if it just comes right up for you.

All links below are to Adobe *.PDF files, and require Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar software. If you do not already have this software loaded on your system, you may obtain it here: Get Acrobat Reader from Adobe

ftp://dinosaurboard.com

Main Dining Room Wine List - 1,042KB

What's the difference between "ftp" and "http" ? I still can't get either one of your links to open. They just sit there about half loaded (no pun intended! :p)

I even turned off my firewall to see if that was the problem.

Thanks!

The "internet" has a whole collection of protocols for various purposes. http (the "hypertext" protocol) was originally designed for the presentation of text and graphic material, but has been extended to do a great many other things over the years. On most browsers, if you don't bother with the "http" bit on the front of a URL, it's just assumed to be there.

FTP is the most common of the means for transferring files (File Transfer Protocol). To "log in" to a system, Telnet is yet another common protocol. Your browser probably knows how to start up sessions for all of these.

I'm not clear why you are getting partial downloads -- I think I know your ISP now just from watching activity near the time you post here after your attempts! I'd like to inquire just a little bit further about this and see if we can solve it since it seems to be bothering quite a number of people who are trying to access the material. As an aside, I've had a bit of trouble with the FTP capabilities of Internet Explorer 6 myself, and thought I'd configured things to get around the problems. I'm running IE6 on both Win2K and WinXP systems from other locations and doing fine, so figuring out why some folks are having this problem is driving me nuts!

First, what operating system are you running, and what version of what browser?

If you go directly to the link where you can see all of the possible files you can download, I understand that you've right clicked on your choice, told IE that you want to "Copy to Folder", told your end where you'd like the file placed, and then gotten stuck part way through the "Copying somethingorother.pdf" process. The little blue rectangles at the bottom of the status area for the download start to build up from left to right, but things just come to a halt before things get completed. Do I have that right?

To nail this bugger down, I need to know if you understand how to get to a command line prompt (I'm assuming you're using Windows of some flavor). If so, let me know, and I'll give you a couple of lines to type that may work for you. I have found that where the IE6 FTP may not always work as it should, the DOS version of FTP is bulletproof.

I'm not clear why you are getting partial downloads -- I think I know your ISP now just from watching activity near the time you post here after your attempts! I'd like to inquire just a little bit further about this and see if we can solve it since it seems to be bothering quite a number of people who are trying to access the material. As an aside, I've had a bit of trouble with the FTP capabilities of Internet Explorer 6 myself, and thought I'd configured things to get around the problems. I'm running IE6 on both Win2K and WinXP systems from other locations and doing fine, so figuring out why some folks are having this problem is driving me nuts!

First, what operating system are you running, and what version of what browser?

If you go directly to the link where you can see all of the possible files you can download, I understand that you've right clicked on your choice, told IE that you want to "Copy to Folder", told your end where you'd like the file placed, and then gotten stuck part way through the "Copying somethingorother.pdf" process. The little blue rectangles at the bottom of the status area for the download start to build up from left to right, but things just come to a halt before things get completed. Do I have that right?

To nail this bugger down, I need to know if you understand how to get to a command line prompt (I'm assuming you're using Windows of some flavor). If so, let me know, and I'll give you a couple of lines to type that may work for you. I have found that where the IE6 FTP may not always work as it should, the DOS version of FTP is bulletproof.

Ok, here is the info you requested. Hope it helps!

Windows XP with security pack 2

AOL

I cannot get either link to open, so I haven't had a choice to right click on!

I click on the first link and the blue bar at the bottom goes about halfway and stops. Times out.

Same thing with the second link.

I also minimized AOL and tried directly through IE6 and it timed out as well.

I know nothing about DOS.

I'll be watching for any updates on access! :)

Have any of the other posters here been able to access your links?

I'm getting timeouts using an FTP client (WS_FTP light). Can you confirm that the host type is WARftpD?
That's right. I use both IE6 on Win2K and XP, and the old Procomm and all produce completed downloads from the office by way of a pile of routing. IE6 on XP works from home, but that's kind of a short trip ;) . I'm baffled. Oddly, FireFTP bombs as well with some kind of illegal port command.

We have one working through AOL w/problems. How are you getting to me?

Recommendation for DaKrewser --

Drop to DOS. FTP directly to dinosaurboard.com by typing (duh) "ftp dinosaurboard.com" and give it "anonymous" for a login name. Then try to grab one of the files by typing something like "get champagne_bar.pdf". So far, to my knowledge, this hasn't failed anywhere yet.

It appears that some of these FTP clients are being a little to cute, sending some commands in response to mouse button clicks that WarFTPD isn't happy about.

I can connect and login with the Windows CL ftp client, but issuing an "ls" sends it off to never-never land...
The "-ls" seems to be what is hanging several clients. And yet, once logged in with DOS FTP as "anonymous", I can issue both "ls" and "ls -l" from a DOS FTP prompt and the file list pops right up just as you would expect. Give that a go from your end and tell me if that works. What the heck is different???

I can connect and login with the Windows CL ftp client, but issuing an "ls" sends it off to never-never land...
One thing I just noticed -- FireFTP (for Mozilla FireFox) issues PASV, LIST and ls -l commands in sequence, and WarFTPD isn't at ALL fond of the PASV to enter passive mode. Looks like the data link gets shut down as a result, and the ls -l can't process.

When I set up FireFTP WITHOUT PASSIVE MODE enabled (no PASV command gets sent), life is good and I get the file listing... no problems downloading the files from that point.

I could get the file via the dos FTP command but other methods failed. Want me to put it temporarily on my Web Site?
Says something about good old DOS and simple command line .exe files (sigh) vs. all of the fancy shmancy GUI driven software these days.

Let me see if I can sort this on this end as it will undoubtedly be an ongoing problem otherwise, but we may have to talk again. Anyway, if you can put that wine list up for the original poster here and provide a link to it, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.granddevelopment.com/cruising/Main_Dining_Wine_List.pdf

Nice to have a crappy little site where I can park files :).

Seems to be working just fine!

I could set up an http, but at the moment, it's occupied with 4 web cameras that claim port 80. That's why I've been focusing so hard on this silly FTP business since it SHOULD work (and evidently does if you have a nice, old, brain dead FTP client!)

Dakrewser -- I've just changed a couple of settings that may effect LIST functions. Please advise if there is any change from your end. As always, it works just fine here (sigh again).

Seems to be working just fine!

I could set up an http, but at the moment, it's occupied with 4 web cameras that claim port 80. That's why I've been focusing so hard on this silly FTP business since it SHOULD work (and evidently does if you have a nice, old, brain dead FTP client!)

Dakrewser -- I've just changed a couple of settings that may effect LIST functions. Please advise if there is any change from your end. As always, it works just fine here (sigh again).

Now it's refusing the user name "anonymous"! See what happens when you try to tweak something? :rolleyes: But, not too worry, I got it from raudacruise's (thanks!) web site....

It is an interesting list. It appears that %agewise, at least, there's less markup at the top end (or medium end, for that matter)then at the lower end.

Now it's refusing the user name "anonymous"! See what happens when you try to tweak something? :rolleyes: But, not too worry, I got it from raudacruise's (thanks!) web site....

It is an interesting list. It appears that %agewise, at least, there's less markup at the top end (or medium end, for that matter)then at the lower end.

Yes, it's almost like they're trying to make a certain minimum on their wines. That's probably why fireguy and I had a disagreement about markups. I had been focusing my attention on things like the Jordan and similar and the markups there were reasonable. On the lower end, they don't cut you so much slack.

BTW, I have now just completely swapped FTP servers, so if you would give it another go (you got bounced while I was configuring the new one!), I'd appreciate it.

Put a lick on these...

Martini Bar Menu - 196KB

After Dinner Coffee & Liquers - 166KB

Sample Bar Menu - 399KB

Champagne Bar Menu - 94KB

Cova Cafe Menu - 406KB

Main Dining Room Wine List - 1,042KB

Concierge Class Cabin Breakfast Menu - 373KB

Archived