How do you store your pics?

jormot

I have always stored my digital pics on my hard drive but want to make a change since I am running out of room. How do you all store your digital pictures? Thanks!

I store all mine on a hard drive. I keep backup copies on an external hard drive. If you are running out of room, you should consider one or more external hard drives--hard drive memory space is cheap (2 terrabytes will hold about 500,000 pictures for just over $100 on Amazon).

When I'm cruising, I always take a portable hard drive. I used to take my laptop for transfering files to my portable hard drive as well as email, but I now find that I can do everything I need to to on my Acer Tablet. It's a lot lighter than my current laptop, and means that I don't have to be tempted to buy an ultrabook. It handles email, music, games, reader apps (there are free apps for Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Nobel Nook and Sony Ereaders) and a USB port that I can use for file transfer.

Running out of room, buy another and bigger hard drive. These days one can get a terabyte for ~100 bucks, one should never run out of space.

You'll find any other method is usually more costly and cumbersome; online, DVD, CD etc.

If you are paranoid you'll spend 2x and have two drives and backup and sync them monthly or how ever often you dump pictures from your card to the HDD. If you are really paranoid you'll insure you keep the second HDD in a seperate place incase the house burns down or someone brings a supermagnet next to your HDD :D

I personally also store pictures that aren't personally important at Smugmug. Other places like shuttefly offer unlimited free storage but you pay to get them back.

I have always stored my digital pics on my hard drive but want to make a change since I am running out of room. How do you all store your digital pictures? Thanks!

I store my photos on a Synoptics NAS (Network Attached Storage) device, with 4 backups via USB drives.

My main computer is a Windows PC, but I have an iMac exclusively for photo processing. The NAS looks like a server to both systems, so I can share the photos between systems. And the NAS understands DLNA, so I can also view the files on my flat-screen TV directly from the NAS.

Similarly I keep my RAW/JPEG files on external drives. JPEGs locally and on Flickr. I have started to worry about the RAW files so I will probably get a network storage array like a Drobo that can tolerate drive failures.

Ron

I store mine on external hard drives and pay $25 a year to keep a copy of each one on my flickr account.

I have a 1-T external drive that I save my pix to. Then those I wish to share gets uploaded to my SmugMug account. As far as memory on my camera is concerned, I have 2 2-gig micro drives. I've found that one drive is "generally" adequate if I'm merely wandering about the city where I live. If I'm on vacation, I'll take both drives with me, and that evening I'll download the day's pix to my external drive on my computer.

Archived