Just back from May 27th Summit cruise to Bermuda

avid

We just returned this morning from what was the best of the 20 cruises I have been on! I loved Aqua Class on deck 11 with its proximity to the wonderful Sunset (aft) Bar. It really seemed like an extension of our stateroom (1128 starboard just steps from the external stairway ) and Patrick , a terrific Barman, made it all the more so, by having my standard orders magically appear when ever I did (Bloody *Marys in the am, Grey Goose Cintron on the rocks in the afternoon and Remy Martin for night caps). I tipped him well and he earned it!:rolleyes:

Blu was outstanding, top quality food and service in an intimate setting worthy of Specialty Restaurant dining) though we dined there only on 4 nights and 2 mornings since we did QSine on the first and last evenings of the cruise and spent our first formal evening dinner at the MDR for pre planned special occasion dinner with our son and his girl friend ( though the service at MDR Select Dining room was sub par, the special occasion arrangements forgotten and the *food unimpressive and unmemorable :eek:)!

QSine was an eclectic and fun dining space with a delicious variety of "small plate" dishes that were served in a manner consistent with the intent of the venue. Our first dining experience there was in a table for 10 *consisting of our own party of 4 and 3 other couples from our Roll Call who had expressed interest in participating in such an event for which I was pleased to make arrangements in advance. Even with such a large group we had difficulty completing the entire set of courses we had ordered and with the wait staff ("culinary advisors") assistance, cut our remaining order and segued to desert. It was definitely a good move to make a return visit at the end of our cruise to try some of the dishes we hadn't been able to experience during our first visit and also try some of the more memorable items a second time ( those *repeat items would be the Sushi Lollipops, painted steak and lamb chops...but my own personal favorite was the Tres Seviches :D ).If I have anything negative to say about QSine..it would be the ineffective and inexplicable use of the iPad as a menu and ordering mechanism. Like much of Celebrity's technology*challenged offerings( a poorly designed and badly managed web site, inoperable interactive TV, ship wide for much of the cruise) the iPad was not at all integrated into the ordering process and was therefore completely superfluous, as the waiter would copy your order by hand onto a paper pad while looking over your shoulder at your iPad screen.:rolleyes:

Our Roll Call group was fun and active prior to the cruise and generated the opportunity to plan and host several well attended *on board Roll Call activities ( see http://www.sjajg.com/travel/cruise2012B/Roll_Call_Activities.pdf ) in addition to the Connections Party which was hosted by the Cruise Director and attended be several officers. This all attend to the fun and relaxed atmosphere on this cruise.

Speaking of the Cruise Director, Sue Denning-a Brit with a long history in show business, *I thought she did a terrific job with activities and entertainment. We enjoyed a terrific NYC comedian, Michelle Ballin, as well as a terrific Jazz violinist, Doug Cameron, who both performed on two different evenings...along with a great orchestra and credible production shows with talented singers and dancers. * Also, there was a memorable Iron Chef competition with 2 guests each assisted by a Summit chef and hosted by the very engaging Summit Head Chef, Pascal and Celebrity's traveling Chef who happened to be on board as part of Celebrity's "Excite your Senses" activities.*On the negative side one of the "Excite your Senses" events, several of which are additional fee based, there was an advertised complimentary talk on Prohibition and demonstration of Bathtub Gin, that was poorly scheduled and ultimately created some confusion that led to imposing a fee for the event which was clearly meant to be at no charge. Since the 4 of us wanted to attend..the cost appeared to be prohibitive and we were forced to miss an event we had planned to attend. I assume that others were similarly affected. Another negative had to do with excursions that each couple in our party booked separately for our first day in Bermuda. One was a Catamaran sail and snorkel and the other was a tour with a stop a the Harbor Nights street festival in Hamilton on Wed . Both excursions were suddenly cancelled on tues evening due to a shortfall of minimum participants, according to excursion desk ( I suspect that the inoperability of the Interactive TV significantly contributed to this low level of participation and other tour*cancellations according to excursion staff) leaving us to spend our first day in Bermuda on board..Nevertheless we had a great time in the virtually empty pools on what turned out to be a lovely day. We topped this off with a self guided walking tour of the Dockyards.

We spent the second day at Horseshoe Beach, one of our favorites, though we did want to try the facilities at Elbow Beach resort, but alas, the fairly useless Concierge, who made a point to greet us with a personalized letter in our cabin, failed to follow up and respond to a simple request (to inquire about making such arrangements for us, at a fee)!

Our third and final day in Bermuda was spent at the Dockyard in Snorkel Beach, Glass Beach and topped off with a nice lunch at the Frog and Onion .

We were very fortunate to have great weather on Tuesday through Friday and enjoyed the sun and water activities. We did have rain on Monday and Saturday sea days but there were plenty of indoor activities to keep us busy..and we were of course able to make excellent of our Premium alcohol package!:D

I'll be happy to address specific questions...but as I I said all in all our third cruise to Bermuda was one of our best overall cruise experiences *and I would not hesitate to do it again!

So glad you had an excellent cruise Avid. I have found your posts on the deck 11 AQ cabins to be very helpful.

Did you notice any drifting smoke from the Sunset Bar and was the bar indeed open to smokers (on both sides).

So glad you had an excellent cruise Avid. I have found your posts on the deck 11 AQ cabins to be very helpful.

Did you notice any drifting smoke from the Sunset Bar and was the bar indeed open to smokers (on both sides).

As one of the primary culprits smoking my little cigars back there on the port side..I can't definitively say that none wafted up occasionally..but I frequently used the port stairs after finishing my smoke and do not recall smelling or seeing any smoke from the deck 11 platform of the stairs...I think though that we need an opinion of a non smoker on this issue..

All in all I thought that the non smokers frequently on aft deck tolerated the smokers well..and I did not notice any clear line of demarcation between the groups...and many were frequently eating their breakfast or lunch ..while others were smoking..

How was the nightlife? Any music with dancing in the lounges?

As I mentioned..the entertainment was great..in addition to production shows every nite..with special guests on two of the nights (comic and jaz violinist) the cruise director also performed PLUS there was a dance band at Revalations on deck 11 followed by a late nite DJ..there was all a dance band at the Rendevouz lounge several night..in addition two different guitarists/singers, a pianist and an Acapella group performed at various venues on the ship..

Another negative had to do with excursions that each couple in our party booked separately for our first day in Bermuda. One was a Catamaran sail and snorkel and the other was a tour with a stop a the Harbor Nights street festival in Hamilton on Wed . Both excursions were suddenly cancelled on tues evening due to a shortfall of minimum participants, according to excursion desk ( I suspect that the inoperability of the Interactive TV significantly contributed to this low level of participation and other tour*cancellations according to excursion staff) leaving us to spend our first day in Bermuda on board..Nevertheless we had a great time in the virtually empty pools on what turned out to be a lovely day. We topped this off with a self guided walking tour of the Dockyards.

We spent the second day at Horseshoe Beach, one of our favorites, though we did want to try the facilities at Elbow Beach resort, but alas, the fairly useless Concierge, who made a point to greet us with a personalized letter in our cabin, failed to follow up and respond to a simple request (to inquire about making such arrangements for us, at a fee)!

Hardly anyone books ship excursions in Bermuda because you can do everything on your own. Not surprising they could not fill excursions that cost three times what passengers can do indepenently. You should not have stayed on the ship the first day. You could also have done the Harbor Nights on your own like most who attend do.

As far as Elbow Beach resort. They don't let cruise passengers use their facilities.

As one of the primary culprits smoking my little cigars back there on the port side..I can't definitively say that none wafted up occasionally..but I frequently used the port stairs after finishing my smoke and do not recall smelling or seeing any smoke from the deck 11 platform of the stairs...I think though that we need an opinion of a non smoker on this issue..

All in all I thought that the non smokers frequently on aft deck tolerated the smokers well..and I did not notice any clear line of demarcation between the groups...and many were frequently eating their breakfast or lunch ..while others were smoking..

Oh boy, that does not sound good. I sure don't want to eat while others are smoking. Might br spending less time at the Sunset Bat than usual.

Do you need a swipe card for the cabin safe or just the number code?

We were in one of the newer cabins on Summit down on Deck 3 mid-ship, and our safe had a 4-digit pin. As I recall on the M-Class, the safes are 6-digit pin safes in all the other regular staterooms. Definitely not your seapass card.

Oh boy, that does not sound good. I sure don't want to eat while others are smoking. Might br spending less time at the Sunset Bat than usual.

Yes, smoking was a problem back at the Sunset Bar. A lot of inconsiderate people who did not smoke only on the Port side. The bar is pretty much centered back aft, and I was sitting on a stool closer to the Starboard side and smoke was drifting toward me.

I'm sure if you were sitting and eating over on the Starboard side away from the bar, you should be OK.

We were in one of the newer cabins on Summit down on Deck 3 mid-ship, and our safe had a 4-digit pin. As I recall on the M-Class, the safes are 6-digit pin safes in all the other regular staterooms. Definitely not your seapass card.

Agree with you Wine-O..ditto for Aqua 11 stateroom

Thank you for the review. Do they have espresso at the sunset bar? We are in one of the aft cabins and I am wondering how far I will have to go for a cappacino.

No coffees at aft except for the swill they serve at buffet.. :eek:

every morning..after I finished my Bloody Mary ..I would take the aft or mid ship elevator to deck 5 Cafe el Bacio ..to get a Cafe Americano for DW and bring it back to the room along with a pastrey or two..took 5 min at most..the servers at the cafe were great..especially Olga..who was alo our cocktail server at Blu..

Btw. The coffes at Blu were great ..breakfast and dinners!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived