Ship meds for motion sickness

markser

On another thread, someone said the ship will provide free meds for motion sickness. Does anyone know what the ship provides?

We were about to ask our doctor for a prescription for the Patch.

Last time we were on, they were giving out DIPHENHYDRAMINE (Benadryl); Mom found it useful for the long stretches which were a bit rocky..... my husband uses the patch. I think it depends on the person.

Benadryl for seasickness is a new one to me. I mainly think of it for allergies and some cold symptoms, like nasal congestion, or as a sleep aid.

I guess it's the safest, least expensive thing for PG to distribute.

I believe this is what the ship hands out. Worked well, just make sure you drink a bunch of water when taking it.

From Drugs.com

Dimenhydrinate is used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and vertigo associated with motion sickness."

Read more at http://www.drugs.com/mtm/dimenhydrinate.html#sC7YVQw3yfwL52gM.99

DIPHENHYDRAMINE (Benadryl) is usually used for an allergic reaction. Taken in a dose of 25mg or 50mg many will get very, very tired. I would not use Benadryl for seasickenss. I have used Bonine which is an over the counter product with great success.

I never got seasick on our two trips including the last one from Australia to Tahiti when we hit 25+ foot seas and two cyclones but the dining room was quite empty for a few days. Unless you are really, really sensitive to motion sickness you should be OK except potentially for sea days.

Like any other medical advice you should contact your doctor for expert advice.

side bar: I had a doctor friend tell me that if he was stranded on a desert island and could have only one drug available he would choose Benadryl. Apparently it has many different uses.

I agree with the Bonine recommendation. Dramamine totally puts me to sleep. Bonine less so. It doesn't make my husband sleepy at all.

En route to the Marquesas, I was feeling a bit queasy and took ginger pills. I had never taken ginger pills before and was quite surprised how effective they were. They were very inexpensive and I was glad that I had them.

This sounds like it's defintely worth a try.

I havent taken ginger pills on the PG but the PG has a bowl of crystallized ginger outside L'etoile and we usually eat a few pieces. I did take ginger pills in the Tasmanian sea as it was rough there.

I like ginger, and find it effective for indigestion, but for motion sickness, Bonine works like a charm for me. I just take one tablet every morning on a cruise, whatever the water conditions, because I'm prone to seasickness, and I'm afraid if I start to feel queasy it'll be too late to stop it. It doesn't make me sleepy at all during the day, but I find I sleep better at night when cruising, so perhaps the Bonine is having an effect - or maybe it's just the food and wine! My daughter, who has a worse problem than I do, and was having a hard time with car sickness on the twisty roads of The Big Island, started calling Bonine "the magic pill".

En route to the Marquesas, I was feeling a bit queasy and took ginger pills. I had never taken ginger pills before and was quite surprised how effective they were. They were very inexpensive and I was glad that I had them.

I was going to say the same thing! I swear by the ginger capsules.

We did bring Bonine also, made me a bit dizzy, just sort of off balance. The Dramamine put me to sleep. I'm not good with meds though, so the ginger was a wonderful solution and worked pretty darn well.

I found the 1st night at sea to be a rough one for me. Bonine and wrist bands do the trick for me. I have also taken ginger pills and ate some the ginger candy with good results. Always go prepared, take a pill to start upon boarding and see how it goes,maybe you will do well. Why risk feeling ill for your cruise!

Archived