The Captains "Wave Size" announcement

vllygrrl

Looking for other who were on the cruise who caught the captains message on Saturday morning about the size of the wave. I've checked with my in-laws (who were in the cabin next to us on this cruise) and a few others who heard him give an estimate much bigger than the 70 feet being stated by the news media.

If a cruise ship can take a 70 or 80 ft or however big wave it was with the relatively minimal damage it recieved, that is a great testiment to how well built these ships are, and how we should all feel safe cruising no matter what the weather is.

My question is how would a cruise ship have faired with something like the Tsunami that struck Asia? I believe a tsunami is more of a rolling swell rather than a wall of water, but the question still needs to be asked.

The tsunami that hit asia was only a few feet (or even inches) tall until it got to shore. Normally, the distance between the peaks of waves is measured in feet - almost always under 100 feet.

In a tsunami, the water is displaced horizontally, not vertically - until it gets to shore. As the water gets shallower, the water is displaced vertically instead of horizontally, and the "wall of water" forms.

If you are more than a couple of miles off shore, you won't even notice a tsunami passing under you.

If a cruise ship can take a 70 or 80 ft or however big wave it was with the relatively minimal damage it recieved, that is a great testiment to how well built these ships are, and how we should all feel safe cruising no matter what the weather is.

My question is how would a cruise ship have faired with something like the Tsunami that struck Asia? I believe a tsunami is more of a rolling swell rather than a wall of water, but the question still needs to be asked.

The Tsunami would pass right below the cruise ships.

If you were in open water, and there was a Tsunami underneath you, you wouldn't even realize it. The Tsunami doesn't show itself until it reaches shore, where the energy has only one way to go - upwards (and thus the large wave!)

I don't recall him saying 140 feet. I recall 50 feet and me thinking nooo freggin way!!! I was on the 9th floor and saw a few waves hit our level ! The one that did the damage was just more powerful. I had heard from fellow guest that it went right over the captains camera which is located either level 12 or 13.

Wow! How long had you all been experiencing bad weather? What did you take, if anything, to help with the motion sickness and did it work or is that just a ridiculous question?

It must have been so horrible. Glad you're all back to tell the tales!

I don't recall him saying 140 feet. I recall 50 feet and me thinking nooo freggin way!!! I was on the 9th floor and saw a few waves hit our level ! The one that did the damage was just more powerful. I had heard from fellow guest that it went right over the captains camera which is located either level 12 or 13.

During the night, in one of his announcements he mentioned the fifty foot waves, but about 2 to 3 hours after the big wave hit, myself and a few others heard him say a 140 foot wave had hit the front of the boat (obviously in reference to the rogue wave) during his announcement, which included the damage done to the ship and the conference call they were planning with NCL reps for a course of action at the time.

During the night, in one of his announcements he mentioned the fifty foot waves, but about 2 to 3 hours after the big wave hit, myself and a few others heard him say a 140 foot wave had hit the front of the boat (obviously in reference to the rogue wave) during his announcement, which included the damage done to the ship and the conference call they were planning with NCL reps for a course of action at the time.

While it is true that the captain made announcements about wave size prior to the freak wave, I, for one, never heard him mention anything about the size of the wave that hit us in the morning.

I think there were a lot of stories spread throughout the ship and this is just another one of them. We were in a port side balcony (slightly forward) on deck 9 and other than spray, never saw significant water outside our balcony door.

If I was on the 9th floor and I saw a wave hit the window I would be freaking out. But now you have a story to tell, it is a vacation you will never forget. I'm surprised nobody was on there balcony at the time and fell off. Or did they say you couldn't go on the balcony?

If I was on the 9th floor and I saw a wave hit the window I would be freaking out. But now you have a story to tell, it is a vacation you will never forget. I'm surprised nobody was on there balcony at the time and fell off. Or did they say you couldn't go on the balcony?

No official announcement was ever made. Common sense was left to prevail I guess. But if anyone was on their balcony and would have fallen off, they would have made one of those list for the dummest way to die.

They locked all public doors and yes I would have though it would be common sense to stay inside, but my husband went on the balcony(can we all say Duhhhh) he ran right back in because all he heard was people puking over the rail and was afraid to get hit LOL. :eek:

I actually thought it was cool to watch a few waves go by our 9th floor balcony but when I heard we had water in the ship I got scared...the fun was over. I went to the spinaker lounge to watch waves it was cool, but thats where I got light headed. The forward is a rough spot to be when it's choppy seas.

Archived