Impressions of Falmouth

artypharty

I keep meaning to tell of our experience in Falmouth. We were there in mid October. Almost everything we read, said not to go outside the gates...ohhhh, scarey! The locals would hound you to death.

In our travels, we very much like to experience everything local. We took a little horse drawn carriage ride to familiarize us a little with Falmouth and what to expect "outside the gates". We had a great guide and enjoyed learning a little about Falmouth. We'd heard about Club Nazz and that is also where our guide recommended we go for lunch to experience local food.

Falmouth is not commercialized. Falmouth is not modern. Falmouth is not squeeky clean. Falmouth is interesting, different, warm and friendly. When we left the gates, sure there were people trying to get your attention to sell things. A smile and a "no thank you" were usually enough. Once past these few vendors (seen MUCH worse in other countries) we wandered the streets looking for Club Nazz. Everyone we spoke to was nice and helpful. We found our way to Club Nazz and it was..not air conditioned, lights were dim, crowded with locals and the food was simple and excellent. (I kind of felt like I was in a Bogart movie :)) Service was fast, efficient and friendly. We saw several of our servers from the ship also eating there. If you are looking for something totally authentic and local...this is it. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Seeing Falmouth like a local certainly puts this port into perspective. We liked seeing what it was really like, not the "face" that RCI puts on it at their portion of the port.

I just can't imagine why people are SO put off with going into this port city. You just might enjoy seeing the real Falmouth, we did.

Its mostly cos it lack "decent" activities I imagine. Most arnt into touring around cities looking and appreciating the local way of living and appreciating all the smaller things. Most just wanna go beach/have fun/drink/do something "exciting"

To each their own, but I'd imagine for the people looking to have fun, falmouth doesnt offer much in that variety of entertainment.

Excellent post! We like to see the authentic side of things too. We don't mind Falmouth, except that there isn't a lot to do as a family there (I have younger kids). We will keep in mind your restaurant stop the next time we are there. Thanks for posting!

You just might enjoy seeing the real Falmouth, we did.

Thank you for sharing this info. I am going to Falmouth for the first time in Feb and enjoy learning about the local life too. I booked the RCCL city walking tour since I am a single traveller.

Thanks again !

Shirley

can you tell us more about Club Nazz?

What kind of food do they serve?

Drinks? Cocktails or just beer?

Anything else you can think of?:)

They had all the local type foods, ie. akee berry and salted sword fish (traditional Jamaican - so say the Jamaicans:)), jerked chicken along with more traditional type foods. Don't really remember everything but it seemed there were lots of choices.

We just had local beer, but it looked as though they had a full service bar.

They had inside seating (they will bring a big fan over for you if there isn't one on already - it helped alot considering there was no A/C). They also have a veranda/porch on the front with additional seating. It certainly isn't anything near fancy, but we enjoyed the local flavor and the food is good, fresh and homemade!

I found this on line:

IMG_2874-150x150.jpg

Club Nazz & Restaurant

NAZZ & RESTAURANT ~ (876) 617-5175

Located in the heart of Falmouth on the corner of Market St. and Duke St. This 3 floor restaurant/night club offers both Jamaican and American food and has drink specials on “ship days”. Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner FREE WIFI

And, here is a link to some additional information and pictures:

http://www.falmouthscooter.com/club-nazz-restaurant-and-night-club-in-the-heart-of-falmouth/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad to see someone else actually enjoyed Falmouth. We didn't go to Club Nazz, we went to Peppers instead. A tourism guy walked us there and told us some history along the way. I LOVE hearing the history of the islands. Peppers is in an old slave quarters courtyard and he told us about the buildings around the courtyard. There were paintings of their national heroes on the wall. Very interesting!

Oh, the BEST jerk pork ever!! I had a Red Stripe and my son had a Pepsi. Good reggae music playing, friendly smiling locals in a historic setting. It was definitely a memory we enjoyed making and will do again!

I agree about taking in the local culture. I can't wait until the embargo is lifted on Cuba! I will be one of the first to go!

Nicely put, Artypharty. Good advice on dealing with merchants. The worst thing to do is to walk past them like they don't exist.

However. People who prefer a port that looks just like their corner of the USA should not go into Falmouth. I live in a very poor region - so Falmouth doesn't bother me.

Here's what I liked. The local market where mine was the whitest face in there. Tour of the ruins of the fort. Walked down the beach going to the school; talked to some guys who didn't exactly look like the chamber of commerce. Had a Ting in a local market. Great time; real people.

You can still go. You just have to do it from my country, Canada. Thousands of your country men/women do it every year.

But it doesn't make it right. It is not legal to do this as you described.

In our travels, we very much like to experience everything local. We took a little horse drawn carriage ride to familiarize us a little with Falmouth and what to expect "outside the gates". We had a great guide and enjoyed learning a little about Falmouth. We'd heard about Club Nazz and that is also where our guide recommended we go for lunch to experience local food.

(quote]

Where did you get the carriage ride, how long was it and what did it cost? Thanks for your review of your experience in Falmouth.

• 3 weeks later...
In terms of Club Nazz, how easy was it to find? Do you happen to have a pic of the menu? Lastly, you mentioned local beer..... does that include my beloved red stripe?? :D

I can only speak for the beer part.. but you'll be able to find red stripe pretty much any bar you go here lol.

Archived