Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old December 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 3 to a cabin?

We would like to book a river cruise but need to bring along our son. Is there a river cruise line that can accommodate three to a cabin. I have looked at all their sites but do not see any mention...so it appears just two to a cabin on all? Any ideas, anyone? I guess the answer is get another cabin.

An original member of the FREEDOM'S ~ PINK BOA Society

Coming up.. ALWAYS LOOKING!
4/12/14~ NCL~ Jade~Rome, Livorno, Monte Carlo, Toulon, Barcelona, Valencia, Cagliari, Tunisia, Palermo, Naples, Rome

Past Cruises:
4/22/12~RCCL ~ Splendor ~ Barcelona, Marseille, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Split, Venice
04/22/11 ~ RCCL~ Splendor ~ 4 days of Easter in Venice ~ 10Day Med -Venice, Split, Corfu, Athens, Mykonsos, Santorini, Venice
10/09/10 ~ RCCL~ Oasis ~ Eastern
05/22/09 ~ RCCL ~ Monarch ~ Birthday/Memorial Day Blast
06/04/06 ~ RCCL ~ Freedom Inaugural - Pink Boa Society is Born
060/5/04 ~ Carnival ~ Triumph
06/01/03 ~ RCCL ~ Voyager
04/03 ~ Carnival ~ Fascination

Old December 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Most river cruise cabins are fairly small. On Avalon's non-suite ships, the cabin was 172 sq ft and there is no way that you could put a 3rd person in them. You may want to look into Avalon's newer suite ships and Viking's newer long ships. They may have larger suites in which you could put a 3rd person. You will have to check with the companies directly to see if they even allow it. Another thing to consider is, how old is your son? Some lines have age restrictions on passengers (no one < 12 yrs, example). You should also know that there is no programming for children and no separate space for them. If you decide to do this, you will need to make sure that the itinerary and locations are enough to keep your son entertained.

Old December 12th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Lightbulb

Seems to me that Viking does "Family Friendly" series of cruises??? Or am I crazy certain I saw this in some brochure lately?

Old December 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

We recently did a river cruise on the AMACello and there were there adults in the cabin next to ours. I questioned how this could be done as the rooms are not that large. We had a French balcony room, very nice but limited storage/drawer space. DH looked under our bed and found a bed that slides out from under. Seems it's used for an extra guest at night, then stored back under the bed during the day. You may want to contact the river cruise line directly to find out their policy on 3rd pax.

Darcy

Old December 12th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Tauck have a travel programme for families called Tauck Bridges. They have two river cruises on that programme - 10 days in France and 8 days on the Danube. You can find out more from their website.

Rod

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Uniworld also has some "Family Friendly" itineraries listed on their website.

Fran

Old December 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

There are many threads on this forum about children on river cruises. Some lines have age restrictions--Viking for one. Uniworld and Croisie Europe also have family oriented trips mainly in the summer. Don't know when Tauck's sail. Good luck finding something that fits your family needs.
Pat

Old December 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Onevacationlover, I have no idea what your budget is, but the Tauck suites at 300 sq. ft. easily handle three people and the bathrooms are luxurious. I also put Tauck at the top of the list in the river cruise universe followed by Uniworld (which also has some suites).
Hope it works out!

Old December 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

You might check out Vantage as they have suites. Worth a phone call. Willard

Old December 13th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by npphotog View Post
You might check out Vantage as they have suites. Worth a phone call. Willard
I've stayed in Vantage suites and they're very comfortable but I'm not certain if the sofa pulls out to a bed, since I've never used it. Newer ships may be better equipped for 3 in a cabin. Depending on the age of your son, consider that the average age on a river cruise is 55+ and there are NO activities that would entertain a young boy!
I think I would definitely look into Tauck since lately they seem to be appealing to family travel. They can be pricey, but my Mom used them a couple of times and said it was wonderfully good food and service and I have no doubt their river cruises are just as high end.

Last edited by Hydrokitty; December 13th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Old December 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the quick response!

Sounds like I need to get on the phone with all the companies. We really do favor Uniworld's marketing concept but know that Tauck's reviews are good too.

Yes, The entertainment will not be geared to children but honestly I don't believe that a river cruise is known to be as entertaining for adults either.
We are looking for a cruise that will allow us to be more relaxed and less rushed to participate in so many on-board activities. Usually after a day in port, we are pretty exhausted anyway..I think we will be happy with a great dinner and a quick nightcap, then sleep

We have taken day cruises down the Rhine. So, it seems to us that a river cruise for a week or so will allow us to emerse ourselves in the culture...

4/12/14~ NCL~ Jade~Rome, Livorno, Monte Carlo, Toulon, Barcelona, Valencia, Cagliari, Tunisia, Palermo, Naples, Rome

Past Cruises:
4/22/12~RCCL ~ Splendor ~ Barcelona, Marseille, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Split, Venice
04/22/11 ~ RCCL~ Splendor ~ 4 days of Easter in Venice ~ 10Day Med -Venice, Split, Corfu, Athens, Mykonsos, Santorini, Venice

Old December 13th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We did the Tauck"s Bridges Danube Family River trip and they do cater to the kids. We just sailed last June and there was three of us in a room. We had a Queen sized bed as well as a pull out type couch (which was quite comfortable). We as a family had a wonderful time and the food was very good. The staff even provided the kids with popcorn and snacks at night as well as a DVD player to play movies. I suggest you look at the "Bridges" tours through Tauck. One thing is that only a certain number of rooms have space for three so I suggest booking early.

Old December 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Concur 1000% with grandislejoe

Old December 17th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand isle joe View Post
We did the Tauck"s Bridges Danube Family River trip and they do cater to the kids. We just sailed last June and there was three of us in a room. We had a Queen sized bed as well as a pull out type couch (which was quite comfortable). We as a family had a wonderful time and the food was very good. The staff even provided the kids with popcorn and snacks at night as well as a DVD player to play movies. I suggest you look at the "Bridges" tours through Tauck. One thing is that only a certain number of rooms have space for three so I suggest booking early.
Thank you for the information...glad to hear you had a great time!!

Past Cruises: