Restaurant recommendations on a Sunday

Karysa

Hi we will be in Aruba until 8 on a Sunday and were thinking of going out for dinner near the port. Any suggestions?

Not sure what your preference might be but one of our favorite restaurants in town is Que Pasa which is located a block or so behind the Renaissance Mall and an easy walk from the ship. It is a unique local restaurant, great food, unique decor and usually busy but not necessarily "touristy". If you are looking for a tourist type place, Iguana Joes is pretty good and fun for people watching. Both places are close to the ship and last time we were there I do believe they were open on Sunday. If you're looking for something higher end L.G. Smiths is a great place in the Renaissance Mall complex. It is known for its steaks but we had a great dinner there and the seafood selection was also very good.

Whatever you choose, you may want to check ahead to confirm if they are open on Sunday. I believe all the ones I mentioned should be but a lot of places in Aruba shutdown on Sundays even when ships are in port, or if they are open, they close early. Have a great trip!

Other great restaurants near port are Pincho's, Barefoot, El Gaucho's, Cilo. I believe all of these are open on Sunday. Pincho's and Barefoot are a little too far to walk to, but can be reached by taxi in just a few minutes. They are two of my favorites.

Thanks to all of you for the excellent replies. Do any of you know which restaurants would be best for a vegetarian or one that we should stay away from because of lack of choices for her. Thanks again.:)

I would stay away from Pincho's unless the vegetarian just wants a salad. They specialize in grilled meat and seafood. El Gaucho is known for Argentinian steaks. They might not have a great selection for vegetarians.

Que Pasa looks like a good fit for our family. If I make reservations for 5 will we be out by 7 and would this gives us enough time to walk to the ship to board before 7:30?

Also, I am getting conflicting info re:maximum number of passengers per taxi. There are 5 members of our family, will we need to get 2 taxis? We want to take a taxi to one of the west side beaches, perhaps Manchebo. We may walk back past Druif and on to the restaurant if you think that is doable. I have heard that there is some construction between Druif Beach and town, do you know if that would be an issue? Thanks again for the assistance. :)

Que Pasa looks like a good fit for our family. If I make reservations for 5 will we be out by 7 and would this gives us enough time to walk to the ship to board before 7:30?

Also, I am getting conflicting info re:maximum number of passengers per taxi. There are 5 members of our family, will we need to get 2 taxis? We want to take a taxi to one of the west side beaches, perhaps Manchebo. We may walk back past Druif and on to the restaurant if you think that is doable. I have heard that there is some construction between Druif Beach and town, do you know if that would be an issue? Thanks again for the assistance. :)

There are many cabs that are "vans". Choose one of those or you'll need two. I really think you should reconsider the walking idea. You will understand when you get there. It's hot, windy and traffic can be bad. Take a cab or the bus.

There are many cabs that are "vans". Choose one of those or you'll need two. I really think you should reconsider the walking idea. You will understand when you get there. It's hot, windy and traffic can be bad. Take a cab or the bus.

By law, taxis can only carry 5 passengers. You could easily take the bus back from there. Taxis usually hang out around the hotels there, so it shouldn't take to long to get one. I agree, you really don't want to walk back from there.

Many (if not most) of the taxis that I've ever seen in Aruba are SUV vehicles or vans. If you can't find one and you are around Manchebo, you can walk up to the reception desk and ask them to call one that will hold 5 people. I've stayed at Manchebo many times, and to say that the staff there is helpful would be an understatement. You can even get the people at the grocery stores across from Druif to call you a taxi. They do it all of the time. All of the restaurants will call a taxi for you. The economy of Aruba thrives on tourism, and they want to do whatever they can so that you have a pleasant experience. Don't forget that catching the bus towards town in that area is very easy, and it's a quick trip back to town from there because that's one of the last stops before town.

Many (if not most) of the taxis that I've ever seen in Aruba are SUV vehicles or vans. If you can't find one and you are around Manchebo, you can walk up to the reception desk and ask them to call one that will hold 5 people. I've stayed at Manchebo many times, and to say that the staff there is helpful would be an understatement. You can even get the people at the grocery stores across from Druif to call you a taxi. They do it all of the time. All of the restaurants will call a taxi for you. The economy of Aruba thrives on tourism, and they want to do whatever they can so that you have a pleasant experience. Don't forget that catching the bus towards town in that area is very easy, and it's a quick trip back to town from there because that's one of the last stops before town.

Great information. Thanks. Manchebo beach is my big sis's "happy place" so I would like to end up there before going to the restaurant.

Can you provide me with walking directions from Que Pasa to the cruise pier and about how long it will take. Thanks again for the help.

Great information. Thanks. Manchebo beach is my big sis's "happy place" so I would like to end up there before going to the restaurant.

Can you provide me with walking directions from Que Pasa to the cruise pier and about how long it will take. Thanks again for the help.

It's probably a 15 minute walk without rushing. The restaurant is located on WilheminaStraat which is about a block or two off of LG Smith Blvd; the main street through town. When you leave the restaurant, turn left and follow the street basically back to the Renaissance Mall and then keep in the same direction and you'll end up back at the ship.

By the way, Manchebo Beach is our "happy place" in Aruba too. We've stayed at the Manchebo Beach Resort a couple of times. The beach is amazing there. Dave

It's probably a 15 minute walk without rushing. The restaurant is located on WilheminaStraat which is about a block or two off of LG Smith Blvd; the main street through town. When you leave the restaurant, turn left and follow the street basically back to the Renaissance Mall and then keep in the same direction and you'll end up back at the ship.

By the way, Manchebo Beach is our "happy place" in Aruba too. We've stayed at the Manchebo Beach Resort a couple of times. The beach is amazing there. Dave

Thanks so much for the directions. Sounds like a great beach.:)

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to come back and thank all of you for your help on this thread and let you know how we ended up spending our day in Aruba.

We arrived in Aruba on schedule at 1pm and walked to town and visited a few shops. The town was very quiet as it was A Sunday. We then took a taxi over to Manchebo beach. The driver dropped us off at Manchebo Resort we walked to the right on the beach as you face the water, or for those that know the island, we walked in the direction of Eagle Beach. We absolutely loved this beach and since it was our first beach stop after 2 full sea days and a day in Cartegena we wasted little time finding a couple of chairs and getting in the water. The 2 issues we had is that we couldn't find anyone that rented chairs and we had to walk down the beach a little ways before we found a beach bar that took cash and served the public. We were right in front of a nice little resort next to the Manchebo resort and it has stopped serving the public. We had taken the 2 abandoned chairs near a gazebo that was being worked on and figured we would be approached to pay for them or at least order drinks. Anyway this did not happen and the five of us used the chairs to leave our stuff and as a meeting place.

We had visited Palm and Eagle beaches on our first visit to Aruba many years ago. Our eldest daughter, like her mom, loves strolling the beach so drink in hand we walked down to Eagle Beach. Personally I was glad that we had chosen Manchebo beach. I like a beach with lots of Palm Trees and I found Eagle beach to be lacking in this area. The sand is wide and lovely but I found it lacked any personality.

Although we had planned to return to town for dinner we just couldn't get ourselves out of the water and off of the beach in time. Our twins scoped the beach for a nice place to enjoy for just a little bit longer. They ended up at the beach bar at Manchebo beach resort and that is where we had dinner. It was perfect. Most of us had great cheeseburgers with gouda( of course;)) and there was a man playing a pan drum with a back- up beat recording. We were so content and happy nestled in the palms between the pool and the beach that it was difficult to leave. The concierge called us a taxi and we made it back to port with 30 minutes to spare which we used to browse the shops at the port.

We loved our day in Aruba. Thanks once again for your help.:)

It is good to hear that you and your family enjoyed Aruba though your expectations were a bit different from what you experienced :)

The driver dropped us off at Manchebo Resort we walked to the right on the beach as you face the water, or for those that know the island, we walked in the direction of Eagle Beach. ...We were right in front of a nice little resort next to the Manchebo resort and it has stopped serving the public.
It sounds like you were at the Bucuti Resort. They are not open to the public. Drinks and food purchases can only be charged to guests of the resort. They do not even accept credit cards from the public. :(

I like a beach with lots of Palm Trees and I found Eagle beach to be lacking in this area. The sand is wide and lovely but I found it lacked any personality.
If memory serves me correctly, Palm trees are not really native to Aruba. Back prior to 1960 there was a Palm tree plantation in the area of Palm beach, but they did not line the beach and were set aways back towards the inland. Now of course the only Palm trees you see on Eagle and Palm beach were imported and planted by the resorts. At the time of the opening of the Radisson on Palm beach they imported a record number of palm trees for their landscaping.

It is good to hear that you and your family enjoyed Aruba though your expectations were a bit different from what you experienced :)

It sounds like you were at the Bucuti Resort. They are not open to the public. Drinks and food purchases can only be charged to guests of the resort. They do not even accept credit cards from the public. :(

If memory serves me correctly, Palm trees are not really native to Aruba. Back prior to 1960 there was a Palm tree plantation in the area of Palm beach, but they did not line the beach and were set aways back towards the inland. Now of course the only Palm trees you see on Eagle and Palm beach were imported and planted by the resorts. At the time of the opening of the Radisson on Palm beach they imported a record number of palm trees for their landscaping.

I wish that I could plant palm trees on my property. :D

it's just one street back from main drag and they have excellent food at reasonable prices with sandwiches to paella as well as an excdellent wine store in the restaurant. Looks like a Dutch house between 2 stores. It's been there for several years but now has a new name. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality as well as the low prices. I think it's open on Sundays.

I just wanted to come back and thank all of you for your help on this thread and let you know how we ended up spending our day in Aruba.

We arrived in Aruba on schedule at 1pm and walked to town and visited a few shops. The town was very quiet as it was A Sunday. We then took a taxi over to Manchebo beach. The driver dropped us off at Manchebo Resort we walked to the right on the beach as you face the water, or for those that know the island, we walked in the direction of Eagle Beach. We absolutely loved this beach and since it was our first beach stop after 2 full sea days and a day in Cartegena we wasted little time finding a couple of chairs and getting in the water. The 2 issues we had is that we couldn't find anyone that rented chairs and we had to walk down the beach a little ways before we found a beach bar that took cash and served the public. We were right in front of a nice little resort next to the Manchebo resort and it has stopped serving the public. We had taken the 2 abandoned chairs near a gazebo that was being worked on and figured we would be approached to pay for them or at least order drinks. Anyway this did not happen and the five of us used the chairs to leave our stuff and as a meeting place.

We had visited Palm and Eagle beaches on our first visit to Aruba many years ago. Our eldest daughter, like her mom, loves strolling the beach so drink in hand we walked down to Eagle Beach. Personally I was glad that we had chosen Manchebo beach. I like a beach with lots of Palm Trees and I found Eagle beach to be lacking in this area. The sand is wide and lovely but I found it lacked any personality.

Although we had planned to return to town for dinner we just couldn't get ourselves out of the water and off of the beach in time. Our twins scoped the beach for a nice place to enjoy for just a little bit longer. They ended up at the beach bar at Manchebo beach resort and that is where we had dinner. It was perfect. Most of us had great cheeseburgers with gouda( of course;)) and there was a man playing a pan drum with a back- up beat recording. We were so content and happy nestled in the palms between the pool and the beach that it was difficult to leave. The concierge called us a taxi and we made it back to port with 30 minutes to spare which we used to browse the shops at the port.

We loved our day in Aruba. Thanks once again for your help.:)

So glad you enjoyed your day in Aruba. You were very fortunate to find some chairs because none of the resorts in that area rent chairs to cruisers. It does sound like you were probably at Bucuti. They are the resort with the white umbrellas on the beach. I've been told that they took down the palapas and put up umbrellas instead, to discourage people who were not staying at the resort. They can take the umbrellas down when their guests are not using them. They have recently stopped allowing anyone but their guests to use their bar. The bar at Manchebo is our favorite. It is called Pega Pega. We visit it often for happy hour when we are in Aruba. Thanks for letting us know about your day.

So glad you enjoyed your day in Aruba. You were very fortunate to find some chairs because none of the resorts in that area rent chairs to cruisers. It does sound like you were probably at Bucuti. They are the resort with the white umbrellas on the beach. I've been told that they took down the palapas and put up umbrellas instead, to discourage people who were not staying at the resort. They can take the umbrellas down when their guests are not using them. They have recently stopped allowing anyone but their guests to use their bar. The bar at Manchebo is our favorite. It is called Pega Pega. We visit it often for happy hour when we are in Aruba. Thanks for letting us know about your day.

It was our first time at this beautiful beach and since the beach in front of the Manchebo beach resort and to the left looked more crowded we walked to the right. I thought for sure we would be able to rent chairs. There are two beach gazebos in the front of the beach. One was damaged from a large wave and was in the process of being fixed. We used the 2 chairs in front of the broken one.If we return to this beach where can we rent chairs?

It was our first time at this beautiful beach and since the beach in front of the Manchebo beach resort and to the left looked more crowded we walked to the right. I thought for sure we would be able to rent chairs. There are two beach gazebos in the front of the beach. One was damaged from a large wave and was in the process of being fixed. We used the 2 chairs in front of the broken one.If we return to this beach where can we rent chairs?

Just a little further down the beach is MVC resort. They are now renting chairs. There is another chair rental vendor just past there a little ways down. Amsterdam Manor used to rent chairs, but just changed their policy, although someone posted that they were able to rent chairs there recently.

Archived