Orient Beach Review

aimathy

We planned to visit Le Galion this day, but had to change our plans when my parents joined us. My Mom is in a wheelchair and we heard it can be difficult for access with a wheelchair at Le Galion. We decided to go to Orient Beach since it's the most popular beach and we thought accessibility would be easier. Wow, did I regret that decision!

We were in a taxi that pulled up behind the row of restaurants. We were ushered into one particular restaurant and told about the $7 per person fee for a chair, drink and bathroom usage. I guess that's reasonable enough, but it felt a bit hostile, like it wouldn't be okay for us to just walk away and go to another place. That intimidation annoyed me. :)

We stayed there (less for my Mom to walk) and overall, the whole experience was unenjoyable. First of all, it's not just crowded with people....and it IS crowded with people. There are beach chairs EVERYWHERE. It's just wall to wall people, chairs, umbrellas and restaurants. I guess maybe it's to-each-his-own, but I just do not get the appeal of this beach at all. There are so many AMAZING beaches in the Caribbean, this is not one of them.

The view from the beach is nice (hey, it IS a Caribbean island, regardless of what's on land). Other than that, what IS to like? The moment we arrived, we were swarmed like fresh meat from the vendors....aloe massages, clothing, toys, you name it. It was just person after person coming up to us and it was annoying as hell. Eventually, after about 15 minutes (a very long time when you're trying to be polite but firm and telling them no) that lessened a bit. But who needs that when there are beaches that don't have this problem? The food was overpriced almost everywhere and very average for beach food. The water was fairly rough, with a bit of a drop when you first go in. The bathrooms were pretty gross (expected for beach bathrooms though). It was just too hectic, crowded an the complete opposite of secluded. A group of 4 had a Bose dock for their iPod blasting Latin music that competed with the Reggae music of the restaurant. That was annoying as can be, but alas, we had already paid $49 to sit there with our group.

We have been to beaches on St. Maarten before and this was by far, the worst. If crowds, loud music and an expensive day are what you like, then by all means this is your beach.

If tranquil Caribbean waters, a cold drink and some peace are what you're after....then avoid Orient at all costs!!!

I've been to Orient Beach several times and it seems the farther right you walk, the less crowded it becomes. I totally understand that you didn't want to walk far because of your mom but you may have had less traffic if you had walked a bit further out from the area where your taxi driver dropped you off.

I've been to Orient Beach several times and it seems the farther right you walk, the less crowded it becomes. I totally understand that you didn't want to walk far because of your mom but you may have had less traffic if you had walked a bit further out from the area where your taxi driver dropped you off.

Actually, we think you have it backwards. If you walk far to the right (towards the Nudist resort) the chair prices actually become a bit cheaper but the chairs are closer together. Now, we are using Bikini Beach as the mid-point (where many taxis drop their fares) and at that center area the price is usually $20 for 2 chairs plus one umbrella. At that part of the beach most of the chairs are in great shape and have plush cushions. As you move towards your right (looking out at the sea) the price drops to about $7 and some places will include a welcome drink. There are even some places that will give you the chairs free as long as you buy lunch. But, if you move to the far left of the beach (towards Palm Beach) the crowds tend to thin-out. We think that Orient is a gorgeous setting, but has been somewhat compromised by all the commercialization and the popularity with cruise ship passengers. There are over 30 beaches on the island but a majority of cruise ship passengers (and we are talking about more then 10,000 people on some week days) will go to either Orient or Maho (not a very large beach). When we stay on the island we generally avoid both of these beaches and choose other places less frequented by the cruise ship hoards.

Hank

Orient, Maho, and Great Bay are by far the most popular beaches for cruisers. We had at least 6 ships in that I saw on Wednesday January 2nd so along with a lot of vacationers on the island there were well over 20,000 people off of cruiseships as well. The folks that we spoke to on that day didn't enjoy going to Orient either.

The beach that I would have recommended would have been Anse Marcel beach. This beach has a couple of resorts on it and the paths are paved so you would have been easily able to push a wheelchair to the beach.

Sorry that you did not enjoy your day on the island.

Thanks Karysa. We really enjoyed our day on the island...just not Orient! Then again, I'm sure it really just comes down to personal preference. Some people probably live the vibe of orient and restaurants etc. I just prefer something more low key. I wish I knew about that beach earlier. Our Mom was not originally coming with us, so having her was a last minute change if plans. We still had a nice day and can't wait to visit again. Soon. I hope!

Thanks Karysa. We really enjoyed our day on the island...just not Orient! Then again, I'm sure it really just comes down to personal preference. Some people probably live the vibe of orient and restaurants etc. I just prefer something more low key. I wish I knew about that beach earlier. Our Mom was not originally coming with us, so having her was a last minute change if plans. We still had a nice day and can't wait to visit again. Soon. I hope!

Glad to hear that your day was not a total bust.:)

Thanks for the insight, we were there a few years ago, and I remember some venders, but not being swarmed by them..Your review has me already stressing about that possibility as I hate that type scene...We are going to be a gorup of 10 people (adults and kids) and have planned on walking further to the left (facing ocean) or have Joyce Prince drop us off near there to ORANGE FEVER area...which hopefully will out us away enough?

http://www.orangefeverorientbeach.com/

Just how far did you actually go up the beach?

Anyone-Is Orange Beach plagued by vender swarming also?

Should we consider another beach ??

DAvid:D

Sorry for your unpleasant experience.

I'm certain you know that Orient Beach is approximately 1.3 miles long. You may NOT know that portions of this beach are virtually deserted, particularly that portion north of Esmerlada/Coco. (FAR left facing the water).

Other portions are quite crowded. These are usually the places within a few feet of where you are dropped off if you are on a cruise. I imagine that, with your mother's mobility issues, this is the type of area that you picked.

I actually understand how that could be frustrating, and how YOU might have ended up at a restaurant that was overpriced and with mediocre food. However, there are probably 30 restaurants on or within a few feet of the water's edge at Orient Beach. To categorize ALL of these in this negative way is a bit of a stretch.

We go to Orient Beach often on cruises and also stay on Orient Beach for several days each year. I will assure those that choose to visit Orient Beach and walk along the beach for a distance -- or the whole length -- will likely find a place with an activity level that suits their needs and a restaurant that is as good or better that they would find in many of their home towns.

As for the prices, they can be very high but many are not. A search of restaurants on this board will give info on prices. That search will also include recommendations to look at the menu boards outside the restaurant and note whether there is a 1:1 exchange rate. Also, pay in cash (USD). Credit cards combined with Euro pricing WILL be very painful.

Fair warnings: If the wind is blowing hard, the water will be rough where the wind is blowing on shore and smooth on the other side of the island or at one of the protected beaches. If you can't walk fast enough to get there, then you will have to PAY for a cab. It occasionally rains or there are sometimes hurricanes. If there are several cruise ships in port, the drop off points and some of the restaurants will be crowded. Some times the beach is eroded from a storm and there will be a ledge of sand causing difficult access. If there has been a storm within the last couple of days, there will be seaweed in the water or on the beach. If the sight of a 'nekkid' person or topless woman will make you faint or offend you, then you might want to consider another activity. Lastly, if you eat in France (this is a part of France) and pay in Euros it will be more expensive than McDonalds. Most of the conditions stated are true for most any beach. Most are temporary and it is a bit of a 'hasty generalization' to condemn one of the most popular beaches in the Caribbean based on a single day's visit.

Tinybabynurse: I have to respectfully disagree on this one. I realize that everyone has different expectations. I also know that orient beach is a long stretch of beach, however, for the most part, most visitors to the beach will recognize the main cluster of restaurants and beach amenities to be "Orient Beach". I have been to St. Maarten a number of times and have been to fabulous beaches there. My personal opinion is that Orient is not one if them. I would be happier with one shack that sells fish tacos and beer than a slew of options, inexpensive or otherwise. I don't like vendors harassing me. I wants and around me, not a million beach chairs. I like to hear the ocean, not blasting music. Those are my preferences. This was my experience at Orient. To each his own.

The biggest thing I disagree with however, is you said it's not fair to judge a place on a one day visit to Orient. Well, this is cruise critic. People that read these boards will be in a cruise. They will have ONE day to visit a location. They will judge a place on that one day. This board is specifically here so that they can plan that one day the best they can. If this information makes someone choose or not choose Orient and have a great day ashore, then I'll be glad I wrote it. If I have a chance to go back to St. Maarten, I will not go back to Orient since its not my style. But perhaps your info will make them search down a part they'll enjoy. Information is power. :)

Tinybabynurse: I have to respectfully disagree on this one. I realize that everyone has different expectations. I also know that orient beach is a long stretch of beach, however, for the most part, most visitors to the beach will recognize the main cluster of restaurants and beach amenities to be "Orient Beach". I have been to St. Maarten a number of times and have been to fabulous beaches there. My personal opinion is that Orient is not one if them. I would be happier with one shack that sells fish tacos and beer than a slew of options, inexpensive or otherwise. I don't like vendors harassing me. I wants and around me, not a million beach chairs. I like to hear the ocean, not blasting music. Those are my preferences. This was my experience at Orient. To each his own.

The biggest thing I disagree with however, is you said it's not fair to judge a place on a one day visit to Orient. Well, this is cruise critic. People that read these boards will be in a cruise. They will have ONE day to visit a location. They will judge a place on that one day. This board is specifically here so that they can plan that one day the best they can. If this information makes someone choose or not choose Orient and have a great day ashore, then I'll be glad I wrote it. If I have a chance to go back to St. Maarten, I will not go back to Orient since its not my style. But perhaps your info will make them search down a part they'll enjoy. Information is power. :)

Just to let you know if you read one persons experience getting from Maho to the pier in 30 minutes at 3:30 don't think that this is the norm or you may miss the ship. One day does not mean every day. ;). If you visited Orient on a Sunday with 1 ship in port your experience would be very different. On weekends LeGalion and Mullet are very busy as the islanders visit these beaches then.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the reasons for the crowding may be the beach erosion. We were there in early January and could not believe the amount of beach that had been "lost". As the beach returns, there will be more room for chairs and you won't feel as cramped.

Archived