IOS 8 Day Eastern review with Pics

Hello All,

So we were on the 8 day eastern March 2-10 to St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and Labadee, I thought I'd give everyone my take on the cruise followed by a few pics. We were 3 (DW, DS and myself) and this was the first "large" RCI ship we've been on since 2008. We've sailed the Majesty twice since 2008 and the Explorer and Radiance class a few times previous to 2008. We were really looking forward to the Independence. We had sailed Carnival 3 times but determined that RCI was really the home for us and we'll be sticking with RCI for a while.

Sailaway and weather

It was probably the coldest sailaway I've ever had in Florida. Windy and about 62 degrees or so, I bet there wasn't 200 people on deck to wave good bye. The first 2 days were sea days. First day was sunny at times and warm, second day was cloudy all day. When we arrived in Saint Maarten it was sunny in the morning and hot then cloudy in the afternoon. The Captain correctly predicted the weather would be hot and sunny for the remainder of our cruise and it was!

Ship Condition

The ship was in excellent condition as usual for RCI. Very clean and well maintained. We had an aft corner balcony on deck 8 and while we enjoyed having an aft I'm not sure I'd do it again. You really could hear the engines at night and soot on the balcony was a common occurrence. Again, we enjoyed it, certainly didn't cause any major issues but I think next time we'll settle for our usual side balcony. Room attendant did a great job and was always seen around; I'm not sure she ever slept!

We absolutely missed the Royal Promenade on our previous Carnival and NCL cruises. Love walking down there, grabbing a coffee, cookie, people watching. Considering the last Promenade we saw was on the Navigator it was interesting to compare the two. The Promenade on the Independence is noticeably larger.

DS and I used the wave runner several times. Really was fun to do especially on the sea days. Also, no trouble on deck getting deck chairs. Yeah the hogs were out but you could find one if you wanted.

Food

This is always subjective of course but I thought the new menus were quite nice. I don't recall a dinner or lunch in the MDR where I thought there was nothing I liked. The deserts were great as well especially the Jaffa Cake. I had two of those suckers they were so good. Really like the melting chocolate cake and a chocolate desert crisp I had on a sea day in the MDR. We did My Time dining and had experience with this on the Majesty last fall. While we quite enjoyed it on the Majesty it seemed at times to be slow in the MDR on the Indy. Now that didn't bother me any after all, what's the big rush? If it takes an extra 20 mins for dinner, I'm ok with that. Windjammer was its normal good selection up there and good service. I usually hit the Egg Station instead of the scrambled eggs. Lunch was good although I didn't see as much Asian selection in Jade as I would have liked, maybe it was just me. Chops was great - Mud Pie was a great topper. We also did Portofinos - not bad. Not sure I would do it again but it was acceptable. All in all, quite happy with the food. If I can come back from a cruise and say I liked the food, then everything else is cream for me.

Entertainment

This is where RCI and NCL has it all over Carnival and Princess. They did a good job on the production shows and the headliner was surprisingly good. He was apparently the guy who sang "Happy Days". He was an older guy but still had the pipes to sing. Also, the last night they brought all the bands and orchestra together and that closing show I felt was fantastic. We skipped the love and marriage show (been there done that too many times) but we did go to the Stars vs Stripes show. Quite funny. Quest was good but no where near as funny as they used to do it. They've really stepped up the safety aspect of things and its removed some of the funny stuff you used to see. Still, worth taking the time to go.

Staff

I mentioned above that our room attendant did a great job and our waiters in the MDR were very busy but did a commendable job. The last night in the MDR was nuts and I think the next time I do My Time I'll stay away from an early dining time and do a later one when the crowds seem to be much lighter. The CD staff was great, no complaints.

Stops

We love St Maarten and we did our normal thing there. Grabbed a water taxi to the beach over by the main town and hung around the beach and walked in and around town all day. Of course we hit the Belgian Chocolate Box for the obligatory box or 2 of chocolates.

St Kitts was new to us and we went to Shipwreck Beach. It was neat seeing the black volcanic like sand on the beach and watching the monkeys. The weather was phenomenal that day. We also ate lunch at the bar for a very reasonable price and just had a great day on the beach.

San Juan is another of our favourite stops. We always do a self guided walking tour taking lots of pictures and absorbing the atmosphere. Sadly, our favourite Mallorca place (La Bombanera) was closed.

Lababdee was a first for us. We rented a Cabana and had a great time there. Food was good on the beach and we go the special food prepared for us - steak and ribs! Weather and beach were great.

All in all we had a great cruise. Good food, beautiful ship, nice beach days - just what we were looking for.

Now to post some pictures of our stops and the ship. .....

Edited by nbsjcruiser

We were on this cruise as well and had a fantastic time...the color in your pics is awesome..what kind of camera did you use? I am in the market for a new one.

Thanks. I'm using a Nikon D3100 DSLR. What really helps with the outdoor pictures is to use a Hoya Polarizing filter ($50 or so). It removes reflections and deepens the blue's and greens. That's why the colors really stand out. You'll see the difference when you look at my San Juan shots - I left my filter on the ship by mistake. Still kicking myself on that.

Thanks. I'm using a Nikon D3100 DSLR. What really helps with the outdoor pictures is to use a Hoya Polarizing filter ($50 or so). It removes reflections and deepens the blue's and greens. That's why the colors really stand out. You'll see the difference when you look at my San Juan shots - I left my filter on the ship by mistake. Still kicking myself on that.

Aah... I've just got a Hoya polarising filter for my camera in time for our trip to the fjords... I hope I get half as good an effect on my pictures as you have on yours, they're gorgeous!

Sounds like you had a fabulous time! :)

Aah... I've just got a Hoya polarising filter for my camera in time for our trip to the fjords... I hope I get half as good an effect on my pictures as you have on yours, they're gorgeous!

Sounds like you had a fabulous time! :)

Tks - you'll be glad you got the filter. My suggestion would be to make sure you try it out at home first so you understand its full effect. For instance, if you have a full blue sky the filter can give you darker corners in the sky if you are at full wide angle lens(vignetting I think they call it) so you have to make sure you don't go full wide angle. If there are clouds you don't notice it.

enjoy

Edited by nbsjcruiser

We are going on Indy with the same itinerary for Thanksgiving this year, and those are some really good pics. :D

What camera did you use if you don't mind me asking? :)

Keep the pics coming as this will tie me over til November. LOL

We are going on Indy with the same itinerary for Thanksgiving this year, and those are some really good pics. :D

What camera did you use if you don't mind me asking? :)

Keep the pics coming as this will tie me over til November. LOL

You'll enjoy the Indy.

I'm using a Nikon D3100 DSLR.

More pics to come . . .

Loving your fantastic photos and your review. Leaving in 12 days for this itinerary:) You are making me rethink not taking my Nikon DSL on this trip....I was thinking just my point and shoot since we have so many beach days...

Wow Great Photos!!

This is why I am a member of cruise critic!!

My girlfriend and I as well as 4 other couples will be doing this itinerary in December

Can't Wait !!

Its photos like these that get me through the days until December :D

I cant wait to see more!

Edited by VancouverKory
spelling

Next stop was St Kitts. We planned for a quick walk around in town to see what the place looks like and then a day at Shipwreck beach. Not too much to see around town but the people were friendly and it was nice to see something of the place.

DSC_3135.jpg

DSC_3148.jpg

DSC_3159.jpg

DSC_3163.jpg

Thanks for the review and the awesome pictures.

No problem.

So here's a few pics out at Shipwreck Beach. I'm glad we went there. The taxi driver tried talking us out of it and going somewhere else but we had our hearts set on this place after doing our research. There's a bar that serves good food and of course there's lots to drink. The black sand was something unique to see and you'll see a few shots of it in some of the pics. Also, the monkeys were fun to watch.

DSC_3178.jpg

DSC_3179.jpg

DSC_3180.jpg

DSC_3184.jpg

DSC_3196.jpg

DSC_3198.jpg

Great Photos. We just booked the Indy for April 2014 after sailing the Liberty and Freedom the previous 2 years. The future sales agent on board was pushing the Oasis and Allure on me very hard over the Indy. Don't want to hijack the thread about the Indy, so I'll start a new one....