IOS 8 Day Eastern review with Pics

Nikon D3100 - I use a polarizing filter for outdoor shots to deepen the blues and remove reflection. That is what really helps with the colors.

I just bought a Sony nex-5 and need to buy some filters. Thanks for advice

Nikon D3100 - I use a polarizing filter for outdoor shots to deepen the blues and remove reflection. That is what really helps with the colors.

What lens (or lenses) are you using? Surely that isn't the 18-55 "kit" lens that it comes with, is it? Are you doing any post processing besides the resize?

Regardless, great pictures, and thanks for posting them and the review. We'll be on the Independence early next year and I am enjoying "seeing" the ship.

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P

What lens (or lenses) are you using? Surely that isn't the 18-55 "kit" lens that it comes with, is it? Are you doing any post processing besides the resize?

Regardless, great pictures, and thanks for posting them and the review. We'll be on the Independence early next year and I am enjoying "seeing" the ship.

Dan.

Thanks for the comment. Yeah that's the stock 18-55 lens. The post processing I do is a little sharpening and some minor levels adjustment and if needed some colour enhancement - all in Gimp.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Great review and pics! Thanks for sharing!

My wife is currently on IOS doing an 8-nighter with her mom, it looks like an awesome ship. We'll be going on it together next year for our anniversary, threads like this get me really excited for it!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Part of the trip for me is picture taking, and the food of course :)

How about a few more shots of the Indy!

DSC_2819.JPG

DSC_2843.jpg

DSC_2844.jpg

DSC_2846.jpg

DSC_2859.jpg

Next up, a few night shots, which are always a challenge.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Yet another review.

Yet another cruiser who puts my picture taking to shame.

Really outstanding photography, thank you for sharing. I could buy a book of these.

How do you get such great night time shots that pick up the colors so vividly? Do you use a tripod? I didn't see any evidence of a flash. Anyway, it is like we are there, really, really excellent work.

OWD

Yet another review.

Yet another cruiser who puts my picture taking to shame.

Really outstanding photography, thank you for sharing. I could buy a book of these.

How do you get such great night time shots that pick up the colors so vividly? Do you use a tripod? I didn't see any evidence of a flash. Anyway, it is like we are there, really, really excellent work.

OWD

Thanks for the comment.

The trick to night-time photography is to use something steady like a tripod, railing, garbage can whatever you can safely rest your camera on and have it be level at the same time. Then, turn off the flash because with a flash you will illuminate the immediate area which is not what you want. You want to see the entire view in your shot. So you turn off the flash and then increase the amount of time the shutter is open. It might be as much as 2 seconds or more that the shutter is open. Looking at the pictures I took at night on this ship it looks like the shutter was open for around 1.5 seconds because there was a fair amount of light on deck. But as long as the camera is steady you won't get any blur. I have a small gorilla pod that I use but in honesty, I didn't use it once on this ship. I rested my camera on a railing or some other flat object, set my exposure time and then used the timer so that the picture would be automatically taken in 10 seconds so that me pressing the shutter wouldn't cause any vibration. If you don't like the shot, delete it and try again. Its really pretty simple if your camera has the ability to shoot in manual or semi-manual mode.

If you're taking pictures in a dark area like a church or like the couple Promenade shots I have below when its dark and its impossible to set up a tripod to take the picture, then you have to increase the ISO setting which will allow you to take pictures in dark areas when you don't want a flash.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Tks - you'll be glad you got the filter. My suggestion would be to make sure you try it out at home first so you understand its full effect. For instance, if you have a full blue sky the filter can give you darker corners in the sky if you are at full wide angle lens(vignetting I think they call it) so you have to make sure you don't go full wide angle. If there are clouds you don't notice it.

enjoy

Thanks for that. I do want to try it before we go, but the problem we're having in the UK at the moment is that there's been no blue sky to be seen!! :(

I might end up just having to take multiple shots of the same thing at different settings and hoping one turns out ok! :D

Next up was a self-guided walking tour of San Juan. This is one of our favourite ports and I wish the cruise lines would spend more time there than just 5 or 6 hours. We usually walk to one fort and then take the walk to the other one. On our way we can see La Perla (poorer section of San Juan) and we typically take a walk through the graveyard. There's a lot of very interesting tombs down there to see. It really is worth spending a few minutes walking around.

DSC_3342.jpg

DSC_3343.jpg

DSC_3351.jpg

DSC_3355.jpg

DSC_3356.jpg

Edited by nbsjcruiser