Actress Mira Sorvino Named Carnival Liberty Godmother

5931_sorvin88562982.jpg

Actress Mira Sorvino Named Carnival Liberty Godmother

spacer.gif06/14/2005 spacer.gifMIAMI

(June 14, 2005) – Oscar-winning actress Mira Sorvino has been chosen as godmother for Carnival Cruise Lines’ newest ship, Carnival Liberty, set to debut in Italy this summer. Sorvino is scheduled to break the traditional bottle of champagne against the ship’s hull during a naming ceremony July 19, 2005, in Civitavecchia, Italy.

Early in her career, the Italian-American actress shot to stardom in her breakthrough role in Woody Allen’s 1995 movie “Mighty Aphrodite,” for which she won an Academy Award, a Golden Globe, a National Society of Film Critics Award, and a Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actress.

She has an extensive resume that includes numerous leads in feature films, including “Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion,” “Mimic,” “Summer of Sam,” “The Replacement Killers,” “The Triumph of Love,” “Barcelona,” and “Quiz Show.”

Sorvino earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for her performance in the HBO movie “Norma Jean and Marilyn” in which she played Marilyn Monroe. The multitalented actress also produced the acclaimed independent feature comedy “Lisa Picard is Famous” which had its debut as an official selection at the Cannes Film Festival. She also associate-produced the documentary “Freedom to Hate” tracing anti-Semitism in the former Soviet Union, and the feature film “Amongst Friends.”

She is also the official ambassador for the Stop Violence Against Women Program with the worldwide human rights organization, Amnesty International. This past April, Sorvino’s work with Amnesty International was recognized at the Artivist Film Festival, which acknowledges socially conscious filmmakers, activist celebrities, and charitable organizations.

She is also a past recipient of the National Italian American Foundation’s Achievement Award and has been nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award and a British Academy Award.

“It is an esteemed maritime tradition that a ship’s godmother is a woman of honor and distinction whose name will be forever linked with that vessel. Mira Sorvino’s wide-ranging achievements as an actress and activist make her the ideal candidate to serve as godmother for our spectacular new ship, Carnival Liberty,” said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

Born in Tenafly, N.J., Sorvino is the daughter of veteran actor Paul Sorvino, whose credits include the films “Goodfellas” and Oliver Stone’s “Nixon” and TV’s “Law and Order.” She was raised in New Jersey and went to Harvard University where she graduated magna cum laude in East Asian studies and received the Hoopes prize for her thesis.

She is married to Christopher Backus and they have a six-month-old daughter.

Currently in the final stages of construction at the Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy, the new Carnival Liberty will depart on an introductory three-day cruise from Monfalcone July 16 and arrive in Civitavecchia July 19, with the naming ceremony taking place later that evening.

The ship is slated to commence a series of 12-day Mediterranean cruises – a first for Carnival Cruise Lines – from Civitavecchia July 20, 2005.

Carnival, a unit of Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK), is the largest and most popular cruise line in the world, with 20 “Fun Ships” operating voyages of three to 16 days in length to The Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, New England and Europe.

The line currently has two 110,000-ton SuperLiners – Carnival Liberty and Carnival Freedom – scheduled to enter service between now and February 2007.

What a joke. Mira Sorvino? She's one of Oscar's most least deserving. To this day, she is a punch line. Notice how of all of those movies they mention, they're all from about 10 years ago?

For a ship of this caliber, to have someone of so little distinction be the godmother makes a mockery out of it. I imagine they wanted someone Italian, because the ship is based in Italy, but still.

It could have been worse, it could have been Marisa Tormei

At least her hits on google are more interesting.:p

Now wait a minute, I thought she was great in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion ... I mean, she DID invent Post-its ya know :p :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't get it either... you would think there has to be someone out there that would be a better fit... To go from Katie Couric to Mira?? :rolleyes:

Other Godmothers have been: Whoopi Goldberg, Joan Lunden, Jane Seymour, Dr. Sally Ride, Audrey Hepburn, Princess Diana, Katarina Witt, Chris Evert, and one that fits in with Romy, Kim Cattrall (loved her on SITC though :D )

What a joke. Mira Sorvino? She's one of Oscar's most least deserving. To this day, she is a punch line. Notice how of all of those movies they mention, they're all from about 10 years ago?

For a ship of this caliber, to have someone of so little distinction be the godmother makes a mockery out of it. I imagine they wanted someone Italian, because the ship is based in Italy, but still.

I guess Britney was unavailable. ;)

B00005UKKE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Even though I live in CA, and, was born and raised in NYC, I'll stick up for the Jersey girl! Anyone ever give it some thought that MAYBE the idea behind the choice was selecting an Italian-American actress since Carnival's home port will be in Italy during it's first cruises. Just a thought...

I could think of a few other Italian American actresses they could have picked... Sofia Loren, Annabella Sciorra, Tea Leoni, Leah Remeni, Lorraine Bracco, etc etc... just seems like a very odd pick to me..

I could think of a few other Italian American actresses they could have picked... Sofia Loren, Annabella Sciorra, Tea Leoni, Leah Remeni, Lorraine Bracco, etc etc... just seems like a very odd pick to me..

Sofia Loren - is already the Godmother of the MSC Cruise Lines.

Tea Leoni- Shes ok.. :)

Leah Remeni- Nah.... ;)

Even though I live in CA, and, was born and raised in NYC, I'll stick up for the Jersey girl! Anyone ever give it some thought that MAYBE the idea behind the choice was selecting an Italian-American actress since Carnival's home port will be in Italy during it's first cruises. Just a thought...
Well yeah, that's what I said in my post up above. It doesn't explain why they picked an Italian-American of such dubious distinction, though. There's actually a whole bunch of more prominent Italian-American actresses/entertainers/celebrities:

Edie Falco

Susan Lucci

Madonna

Lorraine Bracco

Ashley Judd (her father is Italian)

Keep posting things like that, I'm reeeeeeally going to start wondering about you..... ;)

Anyway, for a ship called Legend, you'd think Carnival would have looked for a true legend such as Sophia Loren, who is also Italian.

Archived