London Hotel

The Grange Tower is an excellent hotel about 75 yards from Tower Hill Underground and about 200 yards from the Tower of London.

At the weekends there are very good deals available, during the week its relatively expensive.

Its very awkward if you are flying into Heathrow.

Its not the most central if you want theatre and nightlife, but if your idea of a great evening is having a meal on a restaurant at St Katherine's Dock or Butlars Wharf al fresco with views over the Thames and Tower Bridge rounded off by the Ceremony of the Keys inside the Tower of London or a Jack The Ripper Walk it would be ideal.

I have been to several conferences there, but never stayed as I have a flat about a mile away :) Business orientated hotel (and area), much as DorneyBoy describes (although I'd say it's a little further than 75m from Tower Hill tube, you have to go past Tower Gateway DLR). Very good weekend deals. The street isn't very inspiring, but a safe enough area. I can understand why other tourists would say stay in the West End, though.

Hotels in that area cater mainly for business types in the City during the week. At weekends they are keen to attract tourists and offer very good deals. Try to get breakfast included as that can be quite a rip off.

Very handy for the Tower etc. St Katharines Dock is one of our favourite areas of London and is gorgeous! There is a very pleasant river walk along the Thames Path and also some lovely pubs that you can call in on the edge of the river through Wapping. eg the Town of Ramsgate and the Prospect of Whitby. Nice over the south side of the river Shad Thames etc and a bit further walk towards London Bridge and Borough Market. It's an area that sometimes gets over looked in favour of Buck Pal etcetera.

We stayed at the Doubletree across the street from the Grange and I would give it rave reviews for location. The Tower Bridge tube station is literally STEPS from the hotel entrance and we found it very easy to make connections all over the city from this station. In fact, it's a very calm and easy-to-navigate station in comparison to some of the bigger ones.

The Tower, the river, the bridge are all within sight of the hotel, just 5 minutes away max. There are restaurants nearby as mentioned at St. Katharine's Dock and little pubs and cafes tucked in and around the office buildings. We took some nice walks from here, finding off-the-beaten-path treasures that aren't in guidebooks.

As mentioned, the pricing in this area can't be beat. And being a business area, it's oh, so quiet at night!

Archived