Passport and birth certificate

Yari mommy of 2

So here is my dilemma. I have booked my cruise since Feb 2013 and in November 2013 i decided to take my nannys kids with me. They are 20 and 14.

But i told them in advance about the passport since they have never been on vacation they have never had a passport. Their mom is not legal in this country and has no ID to get a State Id but i never knew they would have a problem since she has lived in this country for over 30 years. Not going to get into that so please don't question that. So I called carnival and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Only of there was an emergency outside the US. So they said they could travel without a passport. I'm just worried. Has anyone traveled without passport. I have signed and notorized letter that i can take the 14 year old with us.

My kids 6 months and 4 years old have their passports so do my husband and I

If the nanny's kids are 20 and 14 and she has lived in the U.S. for 30 years, I am going to assume that the kids were born in the U.S. and are, therefore, U.S. citizens. As U.S. citizens, the legal status of their mother is not a factor in this case.

As U.S. citizens, they would each have a U.S. birth certificate. Also, the 20 year old probably has a driver's license, so she's got a government ID. (If she doesn't have a driver's license, she can get a non-driver's ID from the state DMV office.) The 14-year-old does not need a government ID. Also, the nanny's legal status has no effect on her right/ability to get a notarized statement authorizing you to take her minor child on the cruise. (The statement should also authorize you to make medical decisions.)

So, I see no problem with any of the required documentation here. Yes, there will be a problem IF there is an emergency outside of the U.S. and the kids are traveling without passports, but, realistically, the chances of that happening for two young people who will be supervised by you are slim and none.

generally speaking it is fine to cruise with birth certificate and for those over 16 a valid state issued ID. But I would be sure with the cruise line as well as maybe the state department. They are who sets the regulations.

Actually DHS was given primary responsibility to write the regulations in consultation with State and DHS has the responsibility of enforcing the regulations.

If the nanny's kids are 20 and 14 and she has lived in the U.S. for 30 years, I am going to assume that the kids were born in the U.S. and are, therefore, U.S. citizens. As U.S. citizens, the legal status of their mother is not a factor in this case.

As U.S. citizens, they would each have a U.S. birth certificate. Also, the 20 year old probably has a driver's license, so she's got a government ID. (If she doesn't have a driver's license, she can get a non-driver's ID from the state DMV office.) The 14-year-old does not need a government ID. Also, the nanny's legal status has no effect on her right/ability to get a notarized statement authorizing you to take her minor child on the cruise. (The statement should also authorize you to make medical decisions.)

So, I see no problem with any of the required documentation here. Yes, there will be a problem IF there is an emergency outside of the U.S. and the kids are traveling without passports, but, realistically, the chances of that happening for two young people who will be supervised by you are slim and none.

Agreed.

Thanks so much. Yes they were born here. They both have ID'S. So thanks so much

Yes I called carnival and they said its fine. But just wanted to make sure.

Legal or not, I hope you are submitting social security payments for her, otherwise your cruise fund will go to pay the penalties which are quite stiff.

We have friends that are still paying the fines and back social security for an illegal nanny. It is wide spread in Florida