QM2 Westbound Crossing (Nov. 12-19): Mini Review

seacruise9

Hi,

I recently returned from the Queen Mary 2’s transatlantic crossing from Southampton to New York (November 12-19, 2014). Previously, I have done three crossings on the QE2 (1984, 2001 and 2003). I have cruised aboard the QM2 three times in the past (2004, 2006 and 2009), but this was my first crossing on the QM2. Overall, the crossing was excellent.

Throughout the crossing, I was very pleased with the food and service. The ship is clean and maintained very well considering its demanding schedule. Also, the crew members were very friendly and efficient. I dined second seating in the Britannia Restaurant at a table (321) on Deck 3 that was near the railing and provided wonderful views of the stunning room. In addition, I enjoyed lunch at Todd English one day. I dined in the King’s Court for breakfast three times and lunch twice. The food was fine, but the layout and traffic flows of this area are awkward. Afternoon tea in the Queens Room was a highlight of each afternoon.

The weather during the crossing was fairly rough, cold and windy (which is to be expected for a crossing during this time of year). We traveled at an average speed of 20 knots. However, the weather did not adversely affect my enjoyment of the crossing. I was in a sheltered balcony stateroom (6242) with a good location near the aft elevators. Due to the weather, the fact that my balcony was sheltered made it more useable.

During the day, I enjoyed attending many of the lectures that were offered. My favorite lectures were by Roger McGuinn (founder, lead singer and lead guitarist of the 1960’s rock group The Byrds). Also, a film historian provided four excellent lectures on topics such as Gershwin musicals, Doris Day, Alfred Hitchcock and Audrey Hepburn. These lectures were very well attended. I also enjoyed meeting noted maritime artist, Robert Lloyd, who worked on a beautiful painting of the QM2 in the Grand Lobby. The painting was auctioned at the end of the crossing to raise money for the Prince’s Trust (a charity). However, I was able to order a print of the painting that will be produced in England. The evening entertainment was alright, but I think that Cunard particularly excels at the daytime activities.

I was able to take the Behind the Scenes Tour. This costs $120 and is limited to approximately 16 people each sailing. The tour lasted for three hours and 15 minutes and included many areas of the ship, such as the bridge, mooring deck, medical center, engine control room, galley, freezers, waste disposal area, and backstage of the Royal Court Theatre. As a passenger ship enthusiast, I greatly enjoyed this tour. Note that there was a fairly long line at the Tour Office during the first morning of the crossing. I arrived at the Tour Office approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes before its opening to ensure that I was the first person in line. Of course, I am an extreme ship enthusiast and was very interested in the tour. I doubt that the line usually begins this early.

I met many interesting people who certainly increased my enjoyment of the crossing. Throughout the sailing, I had many wonderful conversions concerning travel and passengers ships.

In summary, I thoroughly enjoyed my crossing and was very pleased with the QM2. This is a very special ship that exceeded my expectations. As the last true ocean liner, the QM2 is a unique ship that provides a grand style of ocean travel.

Chuck

Enjoying your post Chuck ... Ed here of C.C. meet/greet etc. and wish to add two nice touches I had ... first night in Britannia I asked waiter for a glass of apple juice, didn't notice if he saw me pour it into a stemmed glass. Not a drinker, I like juice in a stemmed glass at dinner. Next night I asked again as I sat, put juice in wine glass. Friday night I arrived to a pre-set tall wine glass filled/w my juice! Saturday I had it in my pocket and got to table just as Joe saw me and set a glass down, I gave him $20 telling him he certainly knew how to do a table. For me, it's the little things Cunard staff does that makes a trip.

Then, before leaving yesterday at open breakfast in Britannia I asked the waiter if he had any figs. Always like them at least once, forgot this trip. He said no but he had a fruit compote. I said no no the fig thing just came to mind, was a whim. The table talked on and about five minutes later an arm reaches around me and a bowl of figs is set down! I said how did you ever and he said oh I went to another kitchen. I told the head waiter, who said we all want to please. I'm on again the 15th December and taking the waiters M&S English crackers for their holidays.

Thanks for the review. I did the tour a few years ago, like you it was something I really wanted to do. I was aboard in September and dined at table 323. Did you find some evenings that the musicians playing near the staircase made conversation at the table difficult?

Hi,

I also have some good examples of fine service. On my first night in the dining room, I ordered a glass of iced tea. On every subsequent night, there was a large glass of iced tea at my place when I arrived at dinner.

On the final day of the crossing, I had lunch at the Kings Court. At the drink station, I tried to get two glasses of iced tea. After filling the first glass, the dispenser ran out of iced tea. As a result, my second glass of "iced tea" was plain water. A waiter noticed this and said that he would refill the dispenser. After saying "thanks," I found a table and began my lunch. A few minutes later, the waiter appeared at my table with the second glass of iced tea. After refilling the dispenser, he took the time to find my table and bring the iced tea (without being asked). I thought this was a nice touch.

Chuck

Thanks for the review. I did the tour a few years ago, like you it was something I really wanted to do. I was aboard in September and dined at table 323. Did you find some evenings that the musicians playing near the staircase made conversation at the table difficult?

Hi,

We could certainly hear the music at table 321, but the music never seemed to interfere with our conversation. I really liked the view of the restaurant from this table.

Chuck

Hi seacruise9

We are on the 15 December westbound crossing and are hoping to do the tour. Do you recall which day of the trip it was on? I know we need to get in line early the first morning to sign up.

Thanks for the great review...getting very excited as we're less than 4 weeks away!

RemPuck

Hi seacruise9

We are on the 15 December westbound crossing and are hoping to do the tour. Do you recall which day of the trip it was on? I know we need to get in line early the first morning to sign up.

Thanks for the great review...getting very excited as we're less than 4 weeks away!

RemPuck

Hi,

The tour began at 2:00 pm on Sunday, November 16 (the fourth sea day). No cameras are allowed, but a ship's photographer took four group photos of us (on the bridge, mooring deck, dining room stairs, and stage of the Royal Court Theatre). A copy of the stage photo was delivered to my stateroom with a nice certificate stating that I had participated in the tour. If you want the other photos, you need to purchase them.

Have a great time on the crossing.

Chuck

we've been on the same TA and agree.

We've seen a many new staff in the restaurant and the difference to the "experienced" staff was feelable - though everyone did his very best.

We've checked KC on several occasions and for a buffet, the food has a true high standard in our opinion.

All in all we have been very happy and could not see many significant cutbacks compared to our first TA crossing.

Our steward told us, that he's still having the same number of staterooms (16) but there are discussions to cut down to 21 with additional help on embarkation days.

Very nice review!

I was on the 16 October New England/Canada 12 day cruise.

I have to agree...the wait staff at the Britannia Restaurant made you feel as if you were in the QG. But IMHO, with a nicer view!;)

Our waiter's quickly learned our preferences, and also met any special requests for items that were not on the day's menu with no problem. Of course, it did help that we ordered the night before each meal, as my mother had to have everything prepared with low sodium content...

I too experience the 'Behind The Scene's Tour'.

I learned about it right on this board. I made it my first priority when boarding, to go straight to the purser's desk to sign up for it. This was about noon. They told me to come back to the shorex desk about 1415 to get a front spot for the 1500 opening to sign up. I came back at 1405, and found the desk already open!

Fortunately, no one ahead of me had requested it. So I was the first to sign up, but the clerk told me that it was no guarantee that I would get it, as selection of participants was via some sort of 'lottery' a few days later. If selected, I would be notified via cabin mail. I requested they notate that I was the first to sign up, in case that had any bearing on the selection.

I few day's later, I was thrilled to tear open the acceptance letter, along with the liability waiver to sign. Our tour was as you described, and on the 26th.

We were a group of 17, and were greeted on the bridge by Captain Oprey.

We received a comp photo taken of our group at the bridge. We also received an apron and chef's toque, and a 'Behind The Scene's' collector's pin.

I asked why they only do it once per voyage, when they could probably easily sell it out each sea day, and they said it takes too much of the time of the manager's conducting each venue's segment...