Gluten Free on Princess

ldl05

Hi all! I have just booked my 1st Princess cruise on the Caribbean Princess in February. I wanted to get any advice or information you all may have on dining gluten free on the ship. I have cruised once before GF on RCCL, and was treated great! I did read that you can get GF pizza, but you have to pre-order it. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!:)

Hi all! I have just booked my 1st Princess cruise on the Caribbean Princess in February. I wanted to get any advice or information you all may have on dining gluten free on the ship. I have cruised once before GF on RCCL, and was treated great! I did read that you can get GF pizza, but you have to pre-order it. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!:)

I know they will have GF things in the International Cafe.

As with any food allergy, you will need to advise your waiter who will bring the head waiter to your table and he will take note of your food allergy and arrange "special meals" for you for lunch and dinner which are served in the dining room.

On our last cruise, we sat with a lady who also required gluten free and she was so surprise and happy when they brought her spaghetti.

You will be on your own for breakfast and any other meals that you eat in the Horizon Court.

My allergy is onion and I order my meals the night before and then they are ready in the kitchen when I tell the waiter my room #.

This worked fine in the MDR even with anytime dining.

Helen

I sat with a lady that only ate GF. She says she mostly sails with Princess because they are most accomodating and have best options. If I remembered correctly, at the end of each meal, the waiter brings her next night's menu and she orders in advance.

On Golden Princess, the International Cafe had wonderful GF desserts. I chose several of them as they were so good.

I'm so glad you asked about this! I've looked at the old threads, but things change and advance so quickly, it's great to get up-to-date information!

Does anyone know if the Wheelhouse fish n chips are gluten free? I highly doubt it, but it's worth asking! Plus, I want to keep this topic on the front page!

Does anyone know if the Wheelhouse fish n chips are gluten free? I highly doubt it, but it's worth asking! Plus, I want to keep this topic on the front page!

I would imagine they have no GF fish. I've never seen it as an option.

We had a friend on our Med cruise that was GF. In the dining room they showed her the next night's menu in advance for her to pick what she wanted (allowing the kitchen some extra time to prepare items to her liking)

Just got back from the Regal and did the Anytime Dining but went to the same dining room each evening and asked to be seated in the same area. This way we ended up with the same wait staff each night. They quickly became aware of the GF needs and were absolutely wonderful in making sure that everything I ordered was prepared to accommodate my needs. As mentioned, you order dinner a day ahead and most items can be prepared for you gluten free. More than anything, I miss the decadent desserts so asked if the kitchen could prepare something sinfully chocolate for me the next night and they delivered.

The International Cafe on our last two cruises only had one GF dessert each day but their salads are GF. Pizza at both Alfredo's and on the pool deck needs 24 hours notice. I didn't like it though. The crust was thick and dry.

The Horizon Court has an area dedicated to making GF toast and they also have GF muffins kept separately and individually wrapped. You have to ask for them as they are not out front. Also at the buffet, ask to speak to someone who can help you with GF selections. They are very willing to assist. They told me they use rice flour or potato starch as thickeners wherever they can. My only concern was the bacon. Yes, it's GF, but the pan is lined with bread (to soak up the grease) so cross contamination could be an issue if you are very sensitive.

I also had the pub lunch but the chicken curry was the only GF option. It was very good - but GF fish and chips would have been my preference. We had one meal at Crown Grill and they too were able to accommodate the GF needs.

For someone with Celiac Disease, I've found a cruise to be one of the best vacation options