Sanitation problems on Triumph

msmagula

Here is an unanswered letter to Mr. Bob Dickinson (CEO Carnival) regarding my family's experience on Triumph to Canada:

Dear Mr. Dickinson

After 4 years of annual cruises on Royal Caribbean, we decided to give Carnival a try, based on your promise of “quality cruise vacations at affordable prices”. On July 2, 2005, my family and I invested $3120 (plus $1200 on board) for a 5 day cruise to Canada aboard Carnival Triumph.

Given your lower price point relative to Royal Caribbean, we were not terribly surprised to see:

• The food portions were incredibly small (The duck appetizer was 3 pieces 1/8” X ½” X 1”).

• The “Smoked Turkey Tenderloin over Farfalle” for dinner was actually diced cold cut turkey over Farfalle.

• The filet mignon and the prime rib could not be cut, even with the formidable steak knives provided.

However, we did not anticipate the unacceptable sanitation problems on the ship:

• At around midnite on sailing day, at the Coney Island Grill, my wife went to exchange her cold hot dog for a warm one. She noted that a crew member cleaned the sanitary tile floor with a food spatula. He placed the contaminated spatula back on the grill. The grill was in use for cooking burgers!

• The following morning, she grabbed a towel after her shower, and began to dry herself. The towel was soiled with an approximately 12” X 12”stain that appeared to be fecal matter. (Were the towels and bedding even changed in cabin 8332 between cruises?)

• Later that day, she experienced severe stomach cramping and diarrhea. (Reported on CDC Gastrointestinal Illness Surveillance Questionnaire)

Mr. Dickinson, does this situation meet your standards? After our ordeal, we are not satisfied with the “Please accept our sincere apologies” form letter sent by the Purser, Alyona Synenko.

I am aware of your attempts to reposition the Carnival brand to a higher quality cruise line. From our experience, you have a long way to go!

Wow! Did you actually measure the food portions with a ruler :confused: If you wanted more why didn't you ask for a second appetizer?

It's been said before and I'll say it again. Your first post to this board and it's a complaint.....whatever!

Asking for another appetizer is WORK??? Unbelievable!!!!!

Dirty towels are gross - I agree with you here.

Did your wife tell the cook who cleaned the floor with the spatula to get a clean one??? I would hope so.

You also don't know what goes on in the kitchens and cabins on RCCL,HAL or even Cunard lines, it was the cook or steward NOT the cruise line. I'm hoping you don't believe these things are standard practice on Carnival- I can assure you, they are not.

Wow! Did you actually measure the food portions with a ruler :confused: If you wanted more why didn't you ask for a second appetizer?

It's been said before and I'll say it again. Your first post to this board and it's a complaint.....whatever!

He/she isn't complaining, just posting a letter that was sent to Carnival. Why is it people cannot have an opinion about the service they receive if Carnival is involved.

These situations happen in the industry, and they will not get corrected unless brought to the attention of those that can change it.

hey Palmtre!!!

are you taking the Liberty at Easter next year? We were kicking around the same thought up until 2 days ago. Father-in law had a stroke so we might not be going anywhere for a while :(

We just got back from a southbound alaskan cruise on the Spirit, that was awesome!! Hope you are having a good summer.

Say hey to hubby and daughter.

Sue

Guess I wasn't the only one - I too would agree that the portions were very small, the beef couldn't be cut with a chain saw and the waiter acted as if we wanted an act of Congress when we asked for more or any other required dining service. The ship in general was filthy. Bed sheets had holes in them, bath towels were all raggedy.

You guys answering with the smart *** answers just don't get it and probably never will.

Sounds like the Triumph is in need of some attention.

However, the food portions have gotten smaller over the years, on all the C ships. I never walk away hungry, even when the portions were larger. Should I have to order extra entrees? No, but I get to satisfy my palette when there are so many choices to choose from. I always get the daily pasta dish as an appetizer as well.

In any case, to the OP, please let us know if you hear from Uncle Bob.

Sorry the food wasn't to your liking, tough steak is hard to get around (or cut apparently - a chainsaw rotfl2.gif thanx for the laugh MP).

But seriously, if you feel asking for an additional appetizer is too much "work" on vacation, then either you're the laziest person on the planet or you're just complaining. I would understand if you were having to ask for additional beverages or why you were still waiting for your entrees, but because you thought the portions were too small. sarcastic.gif

And I'll ask too, did you wife say something to the cook at the grill?

And was it the spatula that made her sick or the towels in the room?

If you believe it was the towels, then I have to ask, if she was already in the shower, why wouldn't she just shower off again and use a clean towel? I'm in no way condoning that the towels should not have been clean and fresh, but the way you posted those items in sequence reads as if you believe one led to the other.

He/she isn't complaining' date=' just posting a letter that was sent to Carnival. Why is it people cannot have an opinion about the service they receive if Carnival is involved.

[b']These situations happen in the industry, and they will not get corrected unless brought to the attention of those that can change it.[/b]

Since this seems to be the new excuse for allowing people to post complaints without allowing others to post opposing opinions, please explain to me how, exactly, anyone on this board is going to fix any of these problems.

If CCL isn't responding to a written letter then no one there is going to take much notice of a first time posters little rant.

But that's just my 2cents.gif.

Not so much what I'm wanting to read just two months from sailing aboard her. :cool:
As with all reviews/comments on specific cruises/ships, both good and bad, do not take them to heart. No two cruises are the same. And two people on the same cruise can have completely different experiences.

Don't worry and have a wonderful cruise.

You guys answering with the smart *** answers just don't get it and probably never will.

... and hopefully we won't. :)

Seriously, I think the point was that people who jump on the board solely to trash Carnival are not taken as seriously as a member who's contributed more to the boards than only complaints. It seems obvious that the original poster went in to the situation expecting Carnival to suck next to RCI and got exactly what was expected.

If the Triumph is having some problems, then Carnival needs to get it fixed ... no doubt about that. However, posting a letter of disgust about Carnival here on the board is not helpful, only inflammatory.

As I mentioned in the letter, we were not surprised to see small portions. We were surprised that the "sanitation crew" cleaning the floor didn't have a clue!

Thinking of it... the SHIP isn't in need of attention. The CREW needs retraining.

I posted the letter because I don't even know if Mr. Dickinson received it. His corporate gatekeeper could have "redirected" it (into the trash).

If you look at Triumph's overall rating from the CDC it is a 99% This is Outstanding in the Industry!!!!!!! Yes ships do have problems at specific times but in the overall Triumph is Very Good!!! I am sorry the OP had a bad time but with a little use of the voice I think a lot of problems could have been taken care of!!! JMO I order 2 dinner's every night just to try diffrent things so if I don't like something I move on to the next!!! I get 2 or 3 of the diffrent appetizers to try nothing wrong with that.. Next time try a few choices at dinner and get a new towel if one is dirty (this is a giant hotel, something is bound to slip threw) and if some one drops a spatchula ask them to remove it please I might be behind you and did not see it..

Sorry for your problems hope your next cruise is not so much work. :)

Please take a look at the link for overall scores from the CDC.. RCCL is not any better.. Sorry

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cdc.cfm

I posted the letter because I don't even know if Mr. Dickinson received it. His corporate gatekeeper could have "redirected" it (into the trash).

Any thing that goes "to Bob", may come back "from Bob", but they are always answered, at least in my case, and those that I have read.

You got a letter from the purser? Did you complain on board? What did you say and to whom? I am interested in knowing? You throw your letter out there without a lot of background so it's utility is pretty low.

You keep avoiding the "did your wife say anything about the spatula?" I assume she did not - shame on her!!!

Being in the medical field, nobody can say for sure, but, highly unlikely a GI problem can turn that quickly from bacteria - but only God knows!

You seem to be going to a lot of effort for someone who won't ask for something to eat if still hungry????

Obviously you took pictures of the towel etc. - can you please post them?

Thanks!

Heading out 8/13 to Canada on the Triumph with my extended family. Bringing my 80 year old father in law. I have told him how great Carnival is ... trying to keep open open mind. Hope things are better for us. :eek:

Had to jump in here. I just want to reassure future Triumph cruisers that one unhappy customer does not make a bad ship. Case in point - I went on the Fascination 2 weeks after a co-worker went in Aug 2003. She said it was horrible - dirty, feces in the pool.....etc. etc. Made it sound like it was a landfill and believe me, I was worried. My DH and I went on the cruise as planned and couldn't believe she was talking about the same ship! The service was excellent, our room clean and the ship in fairly good condition. Yes, there were the proverbial carpet stains here and there in the hallway....but overall, we were happily surprised. I went on the Triumph in 2002 and had a fantastic time. In fact, the food on that cruise rates as our best so far. So unless it's gone drastically downhill, I wouldn't worry.

It is up to the individual to address each problem as it occurs and not keep a laundry list and complain later. If the meat is sub-par, send it back. If towels are dirty, call the room steward. Don't let things add up and fester and ruin your vacation.

Heading out 8/13 to Canada on the Triumph with my extended family. Bringing my 80 year old father in law. I have told him how great Carnival is ... trying to keep open open mind. Hope things are better for us. :eek:

please keep a positve mind, i went on the triumph in june 2005 and had a blast. now i can if i want to find something wrong, but that would mean i will not have a vacation.:)

Archived