New to P&O, any tips?

cremma14

Hi Everyone,

Booked a Fjords cruise with P&O this week as a last minute thing due to being caught in the Tunisia issues, I have only ever cruised twice and both times with NCL - also have never cruised with kids before. (aged 9, 13 and 15)

Any tips on the differences I can expect between the two companies?

Also we are not fussed on the formal nights, can we give these a miss? I assume we can go to the buffet on these nights so we are out of the way.

Very much looking forward to the cruise and any hints and tips would be most grateful.

Travelling on Azura with a balcony and an inside room between the 5 of us.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and P&O. I guess the main difference with P&O are the formal nights and more restrained activities / décor!

You can of course eat in the buffet on formal nights but it might be a shame to miss out on the gala menus.

The fjords are so beautiful - it's worth getting up early and out on deck to watch the sail-in.

Enjoy.

NCL and P&O are pretty different in style. Food on the latter is much more British, with a focus on meats and sauces, though also good curries. Entertainment is similar. NCL shows are very American, while on P&O you'll see British acts, often people who are familiar to you through TV.

P&O is more formal than NCL's freestyle offering. You can have fixed dinner seating if you want, which isn't available with NCL, where you eat at a set time on the same table and with the same table mates and wait staff every night. You can also have more flexible dining, though, where you choose for yourself when you eat and with whom.

With both lines you don't have to go to the dining room at all. There are alternatives, some of which, the mast grill and the buffet are included in the fare, while others, like East and Epicurean, have an additional charge.

Ultimately, though, both lines take you to some lovely destinations, both have outside decks, bars and shows, so it could be said that they are more similar than they are different! A big plus for many on P&O is that the drinks prices are a bit lower than the American lines.

Hi Everyone,

Booked a Fjords cruise with P&O this week as a last minute thing due to being caught in the Tunisia issues, I have only ever cruised twice and both times with NCL - also have never cruised with kids before. (aged 9, 13 and 15)

Any tips on the differences I can expect between the two companies?

Also we are not fussed on the formal nights, can we give these a miss? I assume we can go to the buffet on these nights so we are out of the way.

Very much looking forward to the cruise and any hints and tips would be most grateful.

Travelling on Azura with a balcony and an inside room between the 5 of us.

Sorry to hear about your cancelled trip to Tunisia. Very sad for all involved.

But I am sure you will have a great time on Azura, and I understand the Fjords are beautiful - I certainly hope so as we will be on our way back from there when you set sail!

As Host Sharon says you can miss the formal nights but I wouldnt dismiss them out of hand - on the forum recently is a review post from BigStevie you might find interesting. He had the same idea but decided to go along with it and was so pleased he did. Try and find his review "entitled "First timer review - Ventura N515" . You should find the whole review very useful. Azura is almost identical to Ventura - just some of the venue names are different and it does not have a covered pool, but has a seascreen.

The particular extract from his review follows about Black tie nights follows.....

Black Tie Evenings

When booking our cruise I had no intention of participating in the black tie nights, simply because I didn't own a suit. But a few days before we sailed I bought a cheap £130 tuxedo from Debenhams, along with a bow tie and formal shirts. We also purchased the same for our 8yr old son.

Im glad I did, because the black tie nights were very nice. Most people seemed to adhere to this dress code, with men wearing either a dark suit or dinner suit, but you weren't forced to. Some didn’t.

It was nice to eat in the restaurants with everyone else dressed up, and drink in the bars afterwards. Lots of ladies and gents approached our 8yr old son commenting on how smart he looked in his tuxedo, which was nice to hear and pleased him no end. I would have been disappointed to have missed out on these nights, being dressed in jeans wouldn't have been the same.

The only other tip I can give you is to enjoy yourselves! I am sure you will.

Oh, and avoid the moaners!

Childrens Club will divide the children with 9 year old requiring signing in/out by adult. 13/15 year olds will enter and leave as they wish. The clubs provide a focus for meeting other children of similar age and also have planned activities. Older ones use it more of a meeting venue.

The entertainment at theatre/show lounges tends to be duplicated each evening for benefit of first and second sittings in the MDR's 6.30pm and 8.30pm. It also helps as you cannot go anywhere early to bag the best seats for the entire evening just that show then the action will likely be elsewhere so people then have to move. It makes it fairer all round. If you are on the Freedom Dining and want to do shows etc. in my opinion you are best to dine at 7pm to 7.30pm and be early at the shows in comparison to the second sitting people. Top names and performances do fill the venue quickly!

If you arrive at the theatre and there is a crowd blocking the entrance off somewhat on deck 7, simply go down the stairs to deck 6 and enter by the fire exit routes down the slopes and end up coming out near the front seating area nearer the stage. There are seats available there usually because the crowd at the back prevents free passage to get to them easily. I have found seats here even after curtain up.

There is a forward observation deck to be found on Lido Deck, deck 15 right at front end of passageway. Go through one of the white doors, only one is marked forward observation deck but they both lead to that area, then you are walking about on the roof of the bridge.

Most people think the Promenade deck does not go all the way round but technically it does. The elevated part around the bow can be accessed from E Deck, deck 8. Go as far as you can forward turn round the corner and step up and through the white door.

Regards John

If you choose not to dress up on formal night there will be some bars you will not be allowed into and it has been mentioned you wont be allowed in the theatre but I don't know if this applies on all P&O ships.

M&S due tuxedo's at very good prices. It would be a shame not to give it a go. The children look so smart all dressed up and the parents don't look to bad either. :p

An afternoon tea in the MDR is a must at least once. Breakfast and lunch are nice there too.

Costa coffee paid for but the cakes are free. :D

Azura is a lovely ship and the Fjords are one of my favourite destinations. Have a great cruise. :)

Hi

You have definitely chosen the right place to go, Norwegian Fjords are one of the most scenic cruises we have been on to date ( Crown Princess.... September 2015) and the one we rate most highly!!!.......Geiranger and Bergen were fantastic!!!

Hope you really enjoy!!!

Steve n Wendy

Edited by c*r*u*I*s*e

Thank you all so so much for the tips! :-)

Booking at last minute really threw me as I would've been on here for weeks before booking a cruise, checking the rooms, entertainment, food etc.

So doing it the wrong way round (booking and then researching) has knocked me and really panicked that I had not done the right thing.

Afternoon tea sounds lovely (and delicious) and thanks for the tips for the theatre seats.

Formal night still makes me suck my teeth like a builder... lol

Not long to go now and I think the part I am finding so exciting is sailing from Southampton, I've heard it is a lovely place to sail out of. :)

Sophie

Thank you all so so much for the tips! :-)

Booking at last minute really threw me as I would've been on here for weeks before booking a cruise, checking the rooms, entertainment, food etc.

So doing it the wrong way round (booking and then researching) has knocked me and really panicked that I had not done the right thing.

Afternoon tea sounds lovely (and delicious) and thanks for the tips for the theatre seats.

Formal night still makes me suck my teeth like a builder... lol

Not long to go now and I think the part I am finding so exciting is sailing from Southampton, I've heard it is a lovely place to sail out of. :)

Sophie

Have a great time - do come back on here when you get back and let us know how you got on!

Not long to go now and I think the part I am finding so exciting is sailing from Southampton, I've heard it is a lovely place to sail out of.

I agree. There is something magical and reminiscent of a bygone era about arriving at the dock by car, handing over your luggage and simply walking onto the ship.

Even better if you leave before dark and sail close by the other ships docked, often with a lively exchange of horns and lots of waving! Shame they don't do the brass band and ticker tape any more:(

Edited by starryuk

Make sure you go to the MDR at least once for afternoon tea[emoji106]

That's the one 'must do' that we didn't enjoy. We love have afternoon teas in nice hotels when we can, but found the stuffiness overbearing on our cruise. My wife has fairly specific dietary needs and preferences when it comes to sandwiches so when she asked for certain types with certain filling, well, you should have seen and heard the mutterings of the fellow 'guests'.

It put us right off and we decided there and then not to go again.

I will add though that the waiting staff were impeccable and responded brilliantly with her request.

That's the one 'must do' that we didn't enjoy. We love have afternoon teas in nice hotels when we can, but found the stuffiness overbearing on our cruise. My wife has fairly specific dietary needs and preferences when it comes to sandwiches so when she asked for certain types with certain filling, well, you should have seen and heard the mutterings of the fellow 'guests'.

Luckily there is plenty of choice in the buffet. Each to their own..... Can't say I noticed any stuffiness...... Looking forward to afternoon teas on our next cruise[emoji3]

It put us right off and we decided there and then not to go again.

I will add though that the waiting staff were impeccable and responded brilliantly with her request.

As well as the MDR afternoon tea which has posher sandwiches and cakes, theres also afternoon tea in the buffet every day. This has a broader choice plus some hot items, so its useful if you want something more substantial or just a coffee and a sticky bun. We always grab a snack after coming back from an excursion or doing the afternoon quiz.

But my favourite meal on P&O is lunch in the MDR, as I think it has the best menus :)

If the foods anything like it was on Aurora when we cruised in May you'll be missing out if you don't use the MDR.

Cruising out of Southampton will make you dread the next time you have to use an airport:)

We went 2 years ago around this time and the weather was amazing, it looks as though you could be lucky too.

http://cruiseoutlook.com

Try this, find your cruise then check out the weather at your ports of call.... Enjoy!

Thanks for posting this link - what a really useful website! Saved to my favourites too!

Two tips.

Do consider the formal nights. I was very uncertain before my first P&O cruise, but I am glad I jumped in with it, as I was surprised to see that 95%+ do dress up. I had considered just taking a dark suit and tie, but was glad I bought a DJ as there were only 1 or 2% in ordinary suits and they seemed to stand out more than those who had taken the decision not to take part at all.

For men there are plenty of places where you can pick up a cheap DJ and formal shirt (I found Matalan and M&S Outlet were good).

Second tip is be prepared for the "This is the 50th cruise I have done, and things are not like they used to be" brigade. When you get a group of them together it is like the Monty Python Yorkshireman sketch.

Sorry but formal nights are not for me. I eat in the buffet on these nights. And don't worry about being excluded from some of the restaurants as there are alternatives. And you will not be excluded from the theatre as others have mentioned and you get full access to the nightclubs.

It is true that around 90-95% participate in formal nights but you often find in the nightclubs that men are always taking off their jackets and those that don't find when they get up their clothes look horribly creased. As there are only 4 formal nights on a 14 night cruise it is no hardship to leave a suit at home and you benefit from travelling light.

Once again, Thank you all for the tips :-)

The main dining room wont be out for us totally just on the nights required to wear DJ's/dresses.

For us as a family personally, we go on holiday to relax and we dont feel that having a dress up night really adds to our experience, on these nights we will happily dine in the buffet and then enjoy some family time, maybe watching the Fjords go by from the balcony or playing some games.

With 3 kids, this is just one less thing I dont have to remember to pack too lol

We picked up our tickets yesterday and are all ready for our holiday to now begin. :)