How to get to St Martins

islandwoman

DH and I will be in St John on the Brilliance of the Sea September 30, 2015. We want to go to St Martin to walk on the floor of the Ocean and explore the caves. Low tide is at 8:04AM. The ship docks at 7 AM and google maps tells me the drive will take 51 minutes, but we can't find a car rental that opens earlier than 8 AM. How can we get to St Martin in time to see the Sea Caves without being caught by the incoming tide?

The ship's excursion doesn't leave until 9 AM.

You have up to 2 hours after low tide, or until approximately 10:00, to explore the caves before the incoming tide moves you off the beach. If you at first in line at your Saint John car rental location when it opens in the morning, you'll have a good hour or so to see them. Most major car rentals have a quick checkout system that you can sign for which will minimize time spent on paperwork.

Be sure of your route too, so you won't lose any time getting there.

A related blog entry: http://halifaxbloggers.ca/thelocaltraveler/2015/04/the-sea-caves-st-martin-nb/

When we did it, it was a really straight forward drive. I can't provide details since it was 2009, but I think you will enjoy yourself, it is beautiful! We were able to do that as well as the reversing falls later in the day before returning the car.

One additional note: Saint John is one hour off ship time. Your arrival time is SHIP TIME not the local time. keep this in mind when checking out the tidal times and shop openings.

This there actually a small village or town of St Martins to visit, nearby the tidal beach, or is the drive suggested only to view the the beach at low tide and then return to St John ?

Srpilo

One additional note: Saint John is one hour off ship time. Your arrival time is SHIP TIME not the local time. keep this in mind when checking out the tidal times and shop openings.

The vast majority of ships will switch to local time before calling on Saint John.