When they run out of hurricane names

cactuslady

They only have 4 names left for Atlantic hurricanes this year. Apparently, they then go to the Greek alphabet, but that seems too dull to me. Should they go with ship names?

DH says they'll have to go to double letters, starting with Aaron. Here'e my list:

Aaron

B.B. King

C.C. Rider

Dee-Dee

e.e. cummings

Fifi

Gigi

Ho-Ho

Ay-yi-yi-yi

Jar-jar

Kuckoo

Llama

mm-mm bad

No-No Nanette

Oh-oh

Pee-pee

Quirky

R.R. Crossing

S.S. Syzygy

Ta-ta

Uh-Uh

Va-va-voom

http://www.woeisme

XX (pronounced "Dos Equis, por favor")

Yo-yo

Zsa-Zsa

Because i am a resident of the state of Florida I am sorry but do not find this humorus at all. I pray they do not run out of names. We have never gotten this many hurricanes in the 51 years i have lived in this state and it is not fun at all to experience them. I notice all of you do not live here or near where storms strike.

Sorry, but feeling a little sensative right now.

Because i am a resident of the state of Florida I am sorry but do not find this humorus at all. I pray they do not run out of names. We have never gotten this many hurricanes in the 51 years i have lived in this state and it is not fun at all to experience them. I notice all of you do not live here or near where storms strike.

Sorry, but feeling a little sensative right now.

Please know that the thoughts and prayers of millions of people, including

CC's, are with everyone located in our hurting states. May we never run out of names.

Peace

I live in Boston and we've had some very severe hurricanes here. Seems almost all parts of the country have 'mother nature' risks. Sunny California certainly has their share of earthquakes and fires....we in the northeast get lucky as we can have both terrible blizzards and ice storms as well as hurricanes. Can't forget tornados in the heartland......... I'm not sure where there is no risk of natural events.

I don't think anyone means any harm in a little good natured jesting. I can understand why it might be upsetting to you but please do not think anyone finds humor in other people's suffering. I'm quite sure no one here is so insensitive.

We all join you in hoping there will be no more horrible weather events....including no more hurricanes. But, that doesn' seem likely.

Love your list! much more interesting than the Greek alphabet! I especially like X..Dos Equis.........of which I`ll be partaking on Tuesday in Mexico!........jean :cool:

I would hate to think we would have to go through the alphabet almost twice to get to Dox Equis - there might be nothing left of FL, AL, MS, LA and TX.

I suggest the 2nd time around be backwards - that way XX would come up faster.

I live in Boston and we've had some very severe hurricanes here.

Oh please. Name one. Name the last one. I can't remember the last one that hit the Boston area, but I'll call my mother or sisters or brother and ask them ... they've lived there all their lives. I lived there for more than 30 years. I know there was ONE severe hurricane in the early 50s ...

Tell me how many people in the Boston area have hurricane shutters? I am willing to bet you don't know anyone.

Don't trivialize what has happened to the people down here and in Louisiana by claiming Boston has had severe hurricanes.

I don't think anyone means any harm in a little good natured jesting. I can understand why it might be upsetting to you but please do not think anyone finds humor in other people's suffering. I'm quite sure no one here is so insensitive.

How about some good-natured jesting about serial killers? AIDS? Cancer?

The point is, it's not funny.

NOT FUNNY.

You don't have to be overly sensitive to feel insulted when someone makes light of a serious situation.

Anyone who isn't living in a cave or under a rock has seen the devastation in Louisiana and Mississippi.

I've seen it first-hand in Florida.

I don't find the light-hearted approach to be very compassionate.

I hope none of you ever have to walk away from your home to seek shelter from a hurricane, and as you turn the key look back and wonder if you'll have a house to come home to.

I hope you never have to make the decision of what to take and what to leave behind ... your scrapbooks, your kids' high school diplomas, the family Bible ... because you can't take a lifetime of memories and pack them into your car.

I've done that -- and it is a life-altering experience, let me tell you.

Yes, there are other things to joke about, and we joke about them too, to keep our spirits up. Please don't think we're callous and uncaring when we take a moment to fool around a bit.

Although we're so far away, my town had 500 cots set up in the convention center for Katrina evacuees. Only 79 came, and they were moved to better housing within a few days. My DH and I both went through CERT (Citizens Emergency Response Training) and are spending part of the weekend volunteering for the Save a Life Saturday the local Red Cross is putting on. We have been watching the news especially closely regarding the evacuation efforts at the two Shriners Hospitals for Children in Galveston and Houston, which we spend many hours and dollars supporting, along with the 20 other Shriners Hospitals. My DH, who is lucky to be retired, spends every day helping to get children with serious burns or orthopedic problems transported to the hospitals (all of which are far away from here) and getting telemedicine technology started up so kids can be treated locally. Because he is a board member of the LA hospital (traveling to LA once a month at our own expense), we have gotten frequent email updates on what is going on around the country this month. The stories of distress, relief and offers of help coming from all corners of this nation are just amazing.

But I'd still rather laugh than cry. :)

Comedian/Actor D.L. Hughley of "THE HUGHLEYS" related this story on CNN:

"You know, as unpopular as this is -- my father told me you had to laugh to keep from crying. I think that absolutely every subject has an element of irony in it, that can be extracted for humor. I was on a panel with Joan Rivers and Robert Kline. And Robert Kline was going on about how this flood that happened in India that killed 10,000 people wasn't funny, but Joan Rivers turned around, and said, "Well, I just want to know who got all that jewelry." You know, that to me struck an ironic tone that was just hilarious. So I think you have to take care with what you say, but ultimately, anything can be funny if you try to extract the irony from it.

Personally, I still have friends who lived in that area whom I've not heard from yet.

We also met a fellow on the Alaska cruise who had lost everything in New Orleans - but had his paid reservation for this cruise to Alaska, so he packed up his few remaining belongings and came. He met so many people in Seattle and on the cruise that he decided to stay in Seattle after the cruise and start a new life there.

"Laugh till you Cry, Live till you Die."

Believe me, I'd rather laugh than cry too. I am sure most people would.

But laughing at the expense of others' misfortune ... is that what you want to do?

People can make jokes about almost any topic, and there will be those who laugh ... and those who find the jokes in bad taste and insensitive.

If there were a horrible blizzard up north, with electicity out for days, and people freezing to death in their homes, and roofs caving in ... I wouldn't call my family with a joke about blizzards.

Btw, a little research turns up some really severe hurricanes in the Boston area in 1749, 1815, 1938, 1954 ...

I guess Hurricane Carol in 1954 is the one I remember.

I didn't see any since then that have been considered severe.

Joan Rivers has said a number of things I wouldn't consider humorous, including that joke. This is the woman who made a joke about widows who'd lost their husbands in the World Trade Center attack! Is that a subject we can laugh about?

Have you ever heard this: "Comedy is tragedy plus time."

We haven't had the "time" yet as far as hurricanes.

I don't recall seeing any tsunami jokes here. Wasn't anyone able to find a laugh in that?

As far as the philosophy "You have to laugh to keep from crying" -- I agree, and I think one of the best examples was that movie a few years ago -- A Beautiful Life? I'm forgetting the name. The one in which the father and his little boy were in a concentration camp.

The father was able to entertain the boy and use humor so the child would not see the horrors around him.

That, to me, is laughing so you won't cry.

As someone who has experienced the devastation of hurricanes, I can tell you that people picking up the pieces of their lives did not sit in a pile of rubble that was once their homes and start laughing.

Btw, a little research turns up some really severe hurricanes in the Boston area in 1749, 1815, 1938, 1954 ...

I guess Hurricane Carol in 1954 is the one I remember.

I didn't see any since then that have been considered severe.

OW--

Boston may not get many hurricanes, but they get Nor'Easters every year. They can occur pretty much any time of year, last for days on end, have 50mph winds and cause just about as much misery. In the winter, they generally call these storms Blizzards.

Every year, folks who can't afford heating oil freeze to death in their beds, folks have heart attacks and die shoveling snow, or starve because they can't get out for food and have no one to look after them.

The news doesn't tell these stories ad-nauseum, the president doesn't send federal aid, the governors don't send the National Guard to help these folks - but their misery is the same.

The point is, everyone in every part of the world have their crosses to bear -

Nobody gets out of this world alive.

I agree with you 100 percent, Brian.

There is sadness everywhere, and whether we live in the north, south, east, west or the heartland, we all have dangers in our lives.

As I said, I lived in Boston for more than 30 years, and I've lived through my share of Nor'easters.

They don't compare to a Cat 2or 3 hurricane -- both of which I lived through last year.

You just can't compare a hurricane to a blizzard or nor'easter.

The loss of life, the loss of property -- not even close.

The quote you highlighted -- I was responding to a poster who claimed Boston gets severe hurricanes. Not so.

Not with any frequency.

The poster was incorrect.

Oh please. Name one. Name the last one. I can't remember the last one that hit the Boston area, but I'll call my mother or sisters or brother and ask them ... they've lived there all their lives. I lived there for more than 30 years. I know there was ONE severe hurricane in the early 50s ...

Tell me how many people in the Boston area have hurricane shutters? I am willing to bet you don't know anyone.

Don't trivialize what has happened to the people down here and in Louisiana by claiming Boston has had severe hurricanes.

Some you may have forgotten about are named:

Carol

Brenda

Donna

Esther

Belle

Gloria

Bob

Bertha

Floyd

I don't know how many died in those storms but, to my mind, one is one too many.

I'm purposely keeping my response simply 'informational'.

Joan Rivers has said a number of things I wouldn't consider humorous, including that joke. This is the woman who made a joke about widows who'd lost their husbands in the World Trade Center attack! Is that a subject we can laugh about?

Have you ever heard this: "Comedy is tragedy plus time."

We haven't had the "time" yet as far as hurricanes.

I don't recall seeing any tsunami jokes here. Wasn't anyone able to find a laugh in that?

As far as the philosophy "You have to laugh to keep from crying" -- I agree, and I think one of the best examples was that movie a few years ago -- A Beautiful Life? I'm forgetting the name. The one in which the father and his little boy were in a concentration camp.

The father was able to entertain the boy and use humor so the child would not see the horrors around him.

That, to me, is laughing so you won't cry.

As someone who has experienced the devastation of hurricanes, I can tell you that people picking up the pieces of their lives did not sit in a pile of rubble that was once their homes and start laughing.

Honestly I think humour is EXACTLY what is needed at a time like this.. Life doesn't stop because of tradgedies... Never has, never will...

As people stated hurricanes are not the ONLY natural disaster that people deal with.... Every area has their own disasters and problems that come along... Its not right to say one is worse than the other... I have family in Mississippi, actually that is where I am from, so don't think I don't understand... but honestly if joking and enjoying things is not proper, than shouldn't you be doing something other than posting on a CRUISE message board...

I'm sorry... This is just my opinion....

Oh yes.....

You asked for one name........Mrs. Priscilla ------- I don't think it necessary I post her complete name. You can reliably take my word for it.

But, you know what.......

I don't think this is a contest about what part of the country has the worst storms/weather.

I also don't think you meant to imply I trivialize about the suffering many are going through and will continue to for a very long time. You really have no basis for implying that as it is quite untrue.

You mentioned how long you and your family have lived in Boston. I have lived in Boston all my life except for several years when I traveled with my husband when he was on active duty with the military. I won't say how many years it is I've lived her but will suffice to say Many.

But this thread is not about me nor is it about you.

[/b]

Some you may have forgotten about are named:

Carol

Brenda

Donna

Esther

Belle

Gloria

Bob

Bertha

Floyd

I don't know how many died in those storms but, to my mind, one is one too many.

I'm purposely keeping my response simply 'informational'.

Of course one death is one too many!

You are absolutely right! :)

In that case, we'd need to calculate all the thunderstorms that hit everywhere, which often cause death. Right now we are getting some pretty hard rain and wind, probably from Rita's outer bands, and I guess I'll read in the paper tomorrow about people who died in traffic accidents due to the slick roads.

However, I was posting in response to the comment about "severe" hurricanes.

Most of the hurricanes you mentioned were not severe, at least not by the time they reached New England.

There hasn't been a severe hurricane up there in many years.

While all lives lost are important, certainly you're not going to compare a storm that causes one death to one that causes hundreds?

That would be like saying the tragedy at the WTC was just as bad as the fire in the next town that killed one person.

Both are sad, both resulted in loss of life, but one was much more serious than the other.

I agree with you 100 percent, Brian.

There is sadness everywhere, and whether we live in the north, south, east, west or the heartland, we all have dangers in our lives.

That is a lot like what I wrote in my post which seems to have upset you.

I pointed out that all parts of the country have adverse weather conditions.

No one here is joking about peoples' misery and misfortune. The National Weather Service prepares a list of names each year for the season's possible tropical storms. Not all turn into hurricanes, and not all become devistating to life and property. The OP was simply coming up with some tongue-in-cheek names for these tropical depressions/storms. No one is trivializing anyone's grief or hurt. While I know only a handful of people who post here, I can't imagine any one of the posters having so little character as to do that.

Archived