Azamara vs Seabourn

Tuscany4

Hi Everyone.

Just booked our first Azamara cruise for next month.

Last minute I Know, but we had to cancel a booked Seabourn cruise due to a family issue. We have sailed with Seabourn many times , and Azamara looks very similar but without the free champagne!

Anything we need to know before we sail?

Kind Regards,

Neil and Lisa.

Well I actually have a lot to write and forgive me if I go on. We enjoyed 68 nights on Seabourn Sojourn, 2 segments of a World Cruise. And we've enjoyed about 62 nights on AZ on 4 crossings of the Atlantic. All very nice, but the 2 lines are quite different. Seabourn is of the luxury class, you pay a lot more, but you get more, better service, better beverages, better enrichment program, more intimate experience, and the wonderful institution of Seabourn Sq. The ships are all "R" class and same size, but Seabourn has 450 PAX vs. 600 on AZ, so Seabourn has lots of wonderful public spaces. Sadly we found the Seabourn food quality and variety to be lacking, and the smoking policy unsupportable. We think that AZ, on the whole, is a better buy, especially if you book a suite. AZ does not really have an enrichment program so you make your own fun and entertainment. AZ PAX are exceptionally friendly and there is a lot of socializing (altho I must admit that we met lovely people of Seabourn). AZ service is quite good. AZ beverages not as inclusive. AZ fitness center superior. And AZ has a walking/running track, unlike Seabourn, where the outdoor area above the pool is loaded with deck chairs. Smoking on AZ is restricted to one are outside on deck, whereas Seabourn can be quite polluted with smoke in the Observation bar, on cabin verandahs and behind Seabourn Sq. Food on AZ is quite good, depending, probably about the same as Seabourn, but at a much lower price. We will definitely return to AZ for a crossing, but have yet to find anything on Seabourn that attracts us. Never say never. We did have a great time on both lines, in spite of my too-picky criticisms. Have fun; I always think it's nice to sample other cruise lines.

I agree with all the above poster has said. I really like both Seabourn and Azamara. I see Seabourn as 5* and Azamara as 4* but excellent value for money. What I would add is that the cabins on Seabourn are much nicer - and that's probably what you're paying most of the premium for. For example, all cabins come with both a tub and a shower plus a double sink. Compare that with Azamara's dreaded shower curtain and you'll appreciate the difference :)

I hate Seabourn's smoking policy that still allows smoking on balconies and fear the moment I have smoking neighbors.

Seabourn's ships are more spacious with nicer public venues. Seabourn Square is amazing.

Another difference to be aware of: Seabourn has formal nights; Azamara does not.

Azamara has Azamazing Evenings, Seabourn has its enrichment program.

And last but not least, Seabourn has its expedition gear such as 12 seat Zodiacs that allow you to land in Antarctica or get very close to glaciers and wildlife in Alaska. I enjoyed their Zodiacs and kayaks in Iceland, Greenland and Norway and it was amazing. I'll be going back next year for Antarctica.

...We have sailed with Seabourn many times , and Azamara looks very similar but without the free champagne!

Anything we need to know before we sail?...

Full disclosure. Seabourn is our favorite cruise line but we also enjoy others including Azamara. We try not to get obsessed with comparisons, but there are some noticeable differences as well as a few similarities.

A few things we love on SB and miss on AZ:

* caviar on demand (available for surcharge)

* top shelf spirits (available for surcharge)

* luxurious toiletries

* excellent enrichment lecturers

* various SB signature events

* Seabourn Square - nothing like it on any cruise line

A few things we love on AZ and miss on SB:

* AzAmazing Evenings

* White Night Party

Some similarities in AZ and SB:

* friendly and engaged officers, staff and crew

* elegant yet relaxed on-board vibe

* well traveled and interesting fellow passengers

* small ships that never feel crowded

Seabourn is true luxury while Azamara is luxury lite. We enjoy both!

Floris (my Dad's name as well!!)

I have to ask. What are your top 3 cruiselines? You seem to cruise a lot and I value your opinion. Just curious. Vriendelijk bedankt.

Jan (John)

Edited by Jb-lhr

We've recently been on both Azamara and Seabourn and love them both. For Azamara, get a Club Continent suite (nice bathroom with no dreaded shower curtain-- and for us we MUST have a bathtub and some of the CC suites now have only a large walk-in shower-- so check to make sure you get what you want when you book) PLUS CC suites have free access to the specialty restaurants and a special outdoor lounge chair area by the spa. Totally worth it. BUT, check prices!!! We wanted to go on an AZ cruise last May or June that went to a lots of Croatian ports--- it was super expensive-- we found a significantly cheaper, similar cruise on Seabourn. While the Seabourn cruise didn't go to as many Croatian ports as did the AZ cruise (there were more Greek ports), the itinerary was also good, and we enjoyed Seabourn a lot. We did miss AZ's longer port stays and overnights, though. We'll be back on AZ Journey this December for the holiday Singapore/Indonesia/ Bali cruise. Can't wait! AZ and Seabourn are definitely our lines of choice.

Floris (my Dad's name as well!!)

I have to ask. What are your top 3 cruiselines? You seem to cruise a lot and I value your opinion. Just curious. Vriendelijk bedankt.

Jan (John)

:) Nice to "meet" you!

For now, just Azamara and Seabourn. I'm trying Crystal for the first time next year as they offer a unique NorthWest passage itinerary.

I've also cruised HAL, Princess and Celebrity, of which Celebrity was/is my clear favorite, but I've moved away from the big ships; too many people. Occasionally (based on itinerary) I go back to Celebrity's M class.

Floris

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated - it's great to hear what everyone thinks and the comparisons with Seaborne . My wife is especially dreading the shower curtain, as we booked a Guaranteed Veranda - the Club Continent suites were very overpriced when we booked, which was very last minute unfortunately this year due to a bit of a pet illness crisis. I'm sure it will still be a great cruise, as the itinery is stunning.