Advice on buying excursions dockside

Annie in Oakland

I hear that excursions are much cheaper dockside, if you're willing to have flexibility about what you do. It sounds like it's much cheaper even than the excursions bought ahead directly with a company, rather than through the cruise ship. But, there's not many posts that discuss what's likely to be available and how common it is to simply wait until arriving at port. There are several ports where we'd be open to a variety of kayaking, boating options. Similarly, there are so many whale watching options -- what are the chances that we'd find something if we just got off the boat and asked around? Are there vendors selling empty seats at every port? We're novices and appreciate any advice from more experienced travelers. thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Some places around the world (like Mexico and the Caribbean) getting a tour at the pier is relatively a good idea. Alaska is a little more challenging, because generally all the ports are relatively small, and tour guides are a limited resource. Most ports will have several ships in at the same time, so those limited tour resources are usually stretched. So, if you do find someone at the dock...you got to be wondering just what their quality is...why are they not employed by the tour companies, or booked privately already?

If you read around the board, you will find many recommendations for private vendors. I think that is the better way to go if you want to do independently.

thanks, Bruce! this makes sense and now I can stop wondering about it. really appreciate it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Some places around the world (like Mexico and the Caribbean) getting a tour at the pier is relatively a good idea. Alaska is a little more challenging, because generally all the ports are relatively small, and tour guides are a limited resource. Most ports will have several ships in at the same time, so those limited tour resources are usually stretched. So, if you do find someone at the dock...you got to be wondering just what their quality is...why are they not employed by the tour companies, or booked privately already?

If you read around the board, you will find many recommendations for private vendors. I think that is the better way to go if you want to do independently.

I do a combination of cruise and non-cruise excursions..... the main thing you are saving is insurance if there are weather and mechanical delays. The risk increases the further your activities are away from the dock.

http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2014/07/dsc03234-e1406663172625.jpg

The Mt. Roberts tram is one I strongly suggest getting at the dock instead of buying on the cruise ship. If there is fog/low clouds.... you will likely want to skip it or wait 15 minutes. There is low risk you'll get stuck, but it happens.

http://juneauempire.com/stories/072001/Loc_TramStuck.shtml

Getting a bargain at the dock often depends on how many in your party, since they often only have a couple of spots to fill. If you are by yourself you can usually get a good deal, as they may have one place open and are willing to give a good discount. For a couple, it's doable but a bit harder for a discount. If more than two people, likely no discount and maybe no room on a busy day...

It also depends upon when you are sailing. If it's peak season, pickings may be slim, but during shoulder season there will likely be more excursions available. We went whale watching in Juneau last year in September with 12 other people for $99/pp. Normally I prebook but we've been there a number of times and figured we'd take a chance and it worked out. It all depends on how flexible you are and how lucky you feel.

It is very easy to book same day docksde in Ketchikan. Tour companies are set up in a visitor center. Talk to multiple vendors and be flexible. Ask about last minute discounts, We got on a two and a half hour trip to Herring Cove cheaply by agreeing to leave in ten minutes. Tour the creek street area on your own afterward.

Visit the kiosks along the dock in Juneau. Take one of the bus trips to Mendenhall Glacier, some are called the Glacier Express. Prices this year were higher than in past years, $22 to $35 round trip. Some included admission to the visitor center. Still a good deal as you drive through the city to get there. You can also walk into the seaplane offices and book flightseeing. It will be expensive but you will know the weather and then decide.

I would have advance plans for Skagway, I don't remember seeing much dockside.

Alaska is best if planned out. It wasn't until after multiple trips that I decided to keep my options open. If you want to whale watch -- you can probably book at the pier. But if you want some of the most popular excursions that sell out -- book in advance. Very different than the Caribbean.