Grandeur and sailing out of Baltimore...please tell me about the good, the bad, and the ugly

Need a little help here. Anyone out there that has something negative to say about the Grandeur of the Seas, please tell me. From reviews, it seems that the biggest complaints are sewage smells and that the food wasn't that great. Has anyone been on this ship recently? Does is stink? What area of the ship should I avoid when choosing a room ? I was thinking about booking an OV guarantee, but if I do that, I might be put in a stinky room. How bad / bland was the food? Also, how are the gym facilities. I am the type that has to have a gym, and I will actually use it quite a bit on the cruise. On my last cruise, I did not gain any weight ( and I ATE and I DRANK!) because I worked everything off. I would like to hear the good the bad and the ugly about this ship, and about sailing out of Baltimore. Please fill me in so I can make a good choice.

??????????? November 2004

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

I just got off this ship on Sunday & noted no "stinky" smells anywhere on board. Our cabin was on Deck 2, but we were all over the ship during our trip. We found the food to be quite satisfactory, but each person has his/her own expectations. Ours were met and/or exceeded in all areas. The gym is a little small & you need to get there EARLY AM to avoid crowds, but the equipment is adequate. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

How was Deck 2? Were you in an inside cabin or outside? We are sailing on Grandeur 9/24. We have an inside cabin on 3 and I was wondering what it was like. Our last cruise we were on the Norway, main level, with a porthole. We found we were rarely in the room so we decided to try an inside cabin this time and use the extra money for more excursions. I think I will miss being so far away from the main level though.

We sailed the Grandeur out of Baltimore in May. Never noticed any sewage smell at all. The ship is quite beautiful and well maintained. The food was not bad at all, sometimes a bit uninspired for lack of a better word but certainly not bad. Several dishes were outstanding, usually our waiter had good recommendations.

Sailing out of Baltimore had no problems. Hope this helps!

Rob

If someone will be dropping you off at the Port of Baltimore, they now can drive you right up to the terminal now...instead of having to use the shuttle.

Port update....In Port Canaveral, Grandeur will be berthed at Pier 5 (Carnival Pier) since Sovereign will be at the RCI pier (Pier 9/10)

In Key West, Grandeur will be berthed at the Hilton Pier (easy access to downtown)

Radio

;) ;)

Grandeur in San Juan

35530597-cb7d-02000153-.jpg

We just off the Grandeur last Sunday and had a fabulous time! She seemed to be in as good shape now as when we were on her about 2 years ago. I have to admit, though, that we did notice a sewage smell one afternoon in the front of the ship on the lower decks. Luckily, it didn't last long. We were in an inside cabin on deck 2, which for us was fine. We also don't spend a lot of time in our cabin and rather save the money so we can do another cruise sooner. In my opinion, the food was very good and you could always find something to eat. We certainly didn't starve. Service was exceptional and finally the coffee was great - even in the machines at the Windjammer!!

We had adjoining outside cabins on deck 2. We were around the corner from the forward elevator & it was a great location. We heard no noise from the elevator. I was expecting a connecting door similar to a hotel where there is an actual door in each room which can be closed or opened, but there is just one door between the rooms. The steward will unlock it at the beginning of the cruise if you want & it will remain unlocked the entire cruise. It can be opened or closed, but not locked. The privacy element is a bit limited, but it was nice to leave the door cracked when I went to bed so I would be sure my son next door made his curfew. He would then shut the door when he came in.

Thanks for the input. I was reading some of the comments under the reviews, and there seemed to be a lot of negatives, so I was a little worried. But then again, you never know where some of these reviews are coming from. Maybe there are just some people who are bored and amuse themselves by writing negative things, and then there might be people who have sailed on Cundard, and Crystal and of course, they would probably hate RCCL no matter what, so you never know what to make of these comments. I am not super picky about food, I can enjoy a meal at Red Lobster almost as much as a meal at Ruth Chris steak house, as long as it is tasty and doesn't make me sick, I am ok.

I was a little worried about the stink factor, but if you all say that you didn't notice it, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if you have connecting balcony cabins on Grandeur, where the connecting door is located? Do both cabins lose their sofa to accomodate the door? Or do you get a loveseat instead of a sofa? Just curious. I'm not sure if it's better to book the connecting cabins or just get two cabins side by side. We will be sailing with the Grandparents along in the next cabin and the connecting cabins would be convenient, but not if we lose our seating area to accomodate it! Maybe I will post this as a separate thread too. Thanks for any insight!

I haven't heard too many bad things about this ship - except for advice to stay away from the "ranch steak" and 4th deck on up due to some people being seasick.

We are departing from Baltimore this coming Sunday on Grandeur. We will be on deck 2, inside cabin. This will be our first cruise ever (well, for me, I've cruised with the US Navy several times).

We're looking forward to this trip. Although we live only 3.5 hrs south of Baltimore, we're spending the night in Baltimore at a Best Western that offers a "park and cruise" deal for only $109 a night. parking is free for the duration of the cruise. This beats parking the car at the pier and rushing to the ship at the last minute from the highway. We will be able to relax the night before and hit the pool and just chill out.

This is just an idea I'd pass along for those who may want to consider. The hotel number is 1-800-633-9511; the hotel is called Best Western on 5625 O'Donnell St in Baltimore and it is only $10 for the cab ride to the Dundalk facility where the ship will be (shed 3a).

HI john-Jennifer....

The hotel where you'll be staying is only about 1 mile from the ship....You should be able to see Grandeur from the Hotel.....

Radio

;) ;)

Vacruzer,

Can you further explain the connecting door? Does this mean there is one door that provides entry to both rooms, and there is no way to ensure the people in the next room do not have access to enter your room and help themselves to whatever?

There will be a deadbolt on each side of the connecting door, so each cabin would have to open their own door to allow access to the adjoining cabin. From the hallway...each cabin has their own entrance. The connecting cabins are nice for family or freinds that want to be together...but still have their own privacy at night....

Radio

;) ;)

To clarify about the adjoining cabin doors... Each cabin has it's own door from the hallway to enter it. Between the cabins there is only one door. For example, in our cabin, the door opened into our son's cabin next door. Both cabins lost the sofa, but had a chair instead because the door is where the sofa would normally be. You DO NOT have the ability to lock/unlock the door during the cruise. There is NO deadbolt like in a hotel. It can be unlocked or locked by a key which the steward has. You will be asked at the beginning whether you want it locked or unlocked & it will remain that way unless you request otherwise during the voyage. I would presume the steward would not want to be comming by to lock/unlock frequently, but if you start with it locked & decide after a couple days that you want it unlocked, I am sure they would do that for you.

I am specifically relating info about the cabin I was in on the Grandeur. Radio, please do not take issue or think I am being argumentative to your post, but what you posted is not an accurate reflection of the Grandeur cabin. There could be other arrangements on other ships or maybe even in other Grandeur cabins, but I was told in advance by RCCL that there would be only one door which could be opened and closed, but not locked/unlocked & that is exactly what we got.

Bonnie, with kids, I would recommending the connecting cabins. With grandparents (unless they might need nightime assistance, etc.), I would probably just go with side by side cabins without the connecting door.

Hope this helps someone.

Debbie

Hi Debbie....

Thanks for the clarification...I must have been thinking about one of the other ships.... I know we had a connecting cabin...but didn't like it because it seemed to let in more noise than if we didn't have one.

Radio

;) ;)

Thank you for the info Debbie! Do you know if the balcony cabins are laid out the same as the outside cabins on Grandeur? In most balcony cabins the sofa is usually right next to the sliding doors heading out to the balcony while most outside cabins have the beds under the windows. I wouldn't think that the connecting door in the balcony cabin would be in the area that the sofa is in. So I am hoping that maybe the connecting balcony cabins don't lose their sofa to a chair :confused: Anyone out there been in a connecting BALCONY cabin on Grandeur? I'd really prefer the connecting cabins as it gives us double the space and my Son can ramble back and forth between our cabin and the Grandparents'. Okay, here's another question...if we had side by side balcony cabins (not connecting) do the balcony dividers open up between the two balconies? That would solve everything! :D

Bonnie, Sorry I don't know anything about the balcony cabins on Grandeur. I didn't even have a chance to peek inside one. May I suggest that you call RCCL customer service & ask about the connecting door placement and/or whether the balcony dividers are moveable? Hope you are able to get your questions answered.

Debbie

:) Hello every one , we are sailing on thr Grandeur 7/18/04 out of Baltiomre.

Was wondering about parking at the terminal, is it much trouble leaving your vehichle & getting to the ship? We only live about 1 hour away & thought driving & parking would be easiest for us!

Pam & David

Driving & parking is pretty easy - we did it on June 11. When you enter the gate area you will be directed toward container-type bins where you will be assisted with unloading your luggage. You will then pull around to a little booth where you will pay in cash for the parking. 7 nite cruise = $70. You will then be directed where to park. Once parked, you'll board a shuttle bus which will take you to the terminal (about less than 5 min ride). When you get off the ship & come thru the terminal, you'll claim you bags then go outside where you'll be directed to a bus where you luggage will load underneath. You board bus & it then drives back to parking lot & unloads you & luggage. It's not exactly ideal since you have to handle your luggage 2x on the back end, but it runs smoothly & efficiently & is better than paying airfare & waiting around an airport. Enjoy your cruise!

Debbie

If someone will be dropping you off at the Port of Baltimore, they now can drive you right up to the terminal now...instead of having to use the shuttle.

Radio

Radio,

I will be sailing the Grandeur on th 9/24 with a departure date of 5pm, could you tell me what is the earliest drop off time that I can get on the ship?

Thanx

You can call on the day of sailing to the Port of Baltimore Cruise Desk @ 1-877-334-2441.

Use Option 2 For Parking Info.

Use Option 4 for arrival and departure inf.

It will depend on the scheduled arrival time of the Grandeur. They wil have the latest information.

I spoke to one of the clerks at the cruise desk and was told that cars should expect to arrive no earlier than 12PM.

For example today....The ship was scheduled to arrive at 9 AM, debarking at 11:15AM.

New passenger should start embarking at 1:30PM

Radio

;) ;)

Radio,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I hadn't gotten a chance to get on the boards. I believe that they did switch to Seattle's Best. Although I wasn't told directly, I did see many cups with Seattle's Best on them. Even if it's not Seattle's Best, it's a heck of a lot better than what used to be served.

Archived