Jewel of the Seas Review - 11/19 Sailing (8 nights)

julesbeara

This was a great cruise, so I thought I'd share the details.

We arrived on Friday, 11/18 and stayed at the Harbor Marriott, which was heavily damaged by Wilma. Only the ground level rooms are available. We had a room with a pool view which had been totally remodeled. We had dinner at the hotel bar & grill, which was very good. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes from the pier. They do have a complimentary shuttle to the cruise piers which runs every 1/2 hour.

We arrived @ the pier around noon and waited about 15 minutes to board the ship via the Platinum & Diamond Member boarding area. The room wasn't ready until 1:00 p.m., so went to the spa to make appointments, ordered our wine package and explored the ship. The Jewel is the most beautiful cruise ship I have ever been on (14+ cruises). We had cabin 9068 (D1), which was very close to the elevators. The room was a little smaller than on Voyager class ships, but plenty big for 2 people. Our room steward was Franky and he was excellent. He was invisible and efficient.

The ship is very well laid out. It seemed easier to get around than on the Voyager class ships. The Safari Club is beautifully decorated and has a great view from back of the ship. It was a little rough because of Tropical Storm Gamma and the fact that we encountered a few weather bands from the storm, but it wasn't bad enough to cause seasickness.

The 1st port was San Juan, which we'd been to a few times so we got off the ship long enough to purchase cigars for my husband and Diet Pepsi for myself. 2nd port was St. Maarten which was a shopping day (Belgian Chocolate & an Alexandrite Ring). 3rd port was Antigua where we took a catamaran excursion booked thru RCCL. Captain Mango took us along the south shore on the island. We stopped for snorkeling (1 1/2 hours), had a gourmet lunch, and stopped at Deep Bay for an hour before returning to the ship. We plan on taking this excursion again when we visit Antigua next June. 4th port was St. Thomas which was a shopping day for diamond earrings, liquor and rum cake (for Christmas). Final port was Nassau and beach day at the Breezes Resort on Cable Beach. We visited the Straw Market which has every type of imitation purse you can imagine, but didn't seem to be a bargain. We had 2 days at sea which seemed and go past very quickly after visits to the spa, lunch in the main dining room and exploring the ship.

Late seating in the dining room worked out well with the ports we visited. Our waiter was Inyoman, Assistant Waiter was Julian and both did a great job. The food was very good and we made several special requests that they accomplished very easily. We had dinner at Portofino twice. One night was as part of the Murder Mystery, which was very unique and a lot of fun. The Seaview Cafe is the Jewel version on Johnny Rockets. The food is excellent and freshly made to order.

The Concierge Club was located next to the main elevators on Deck 10. The free drinks and appetizers (chocolate covered strawberries) were great for a quick snack.

Disembarkation was quick and easy. We got the the airport 1 1/2 before our flight without incident.

This was by far the best Royal Caribbean cruise I've ever been on. We will sail on the Jewel or another Radiance class ship when possible.

Glad you enjoyed your time on Jewel of the Seas. She is definitely one of our favorites and we will be on her for a fourth time next October as she repositions from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale.

Hope you had a chance to sample the crepes in the Solarium.:)

Jules, I have to agree, the Jewel is a beautiful ship, and I am glad you had a great cruise. We were on her this past Sept and we are also booked for the 10/31/06 repositioning AND we are in cabin 9068. By the time we booked this cruise this past July all the hump cabins were gone so we took 9068 because as we do like the location.

jules-What was the name of the Antigua excursion, please? Or the duration and price. I'm trying to determine which one you took because we might want to do that the second time next year that we are in Antigua. We have done Eli's Eco tour there and have scheduled with Lawrence an island highlights tour for next Feb.

Julie, glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves. We are on the Jewel n ext March for the eight day also.

The Mystery Dinner sounds interesting, do you recall which night it took place? Was it the first fomral night or some other evening?

Thanks,

bobj

Enjoyed reading your review. We were on the Brilliance last January (11 nights) and loved it. This January we are going on the Jewel for 8 nights - first aft cabin - 9256. Question: how many formal and how many smart casual evenings were there on your cruise?

Thanks

Kathy

jules-What was the name of the Antigua excursion, please? Or the duration and price. I'm trying to determine which one you took because we might want to do that the second time next year that we are in Antigua. We have done Eli's Eco tour there and have scheduled with Lawrence an island highlights tour for next Feb.

I was on this same cruise. I can tell you what excursion NOT to do in Antigua. The Stingray excursion. If you have ever been to Grand Cayman you will be disappointed. While the area is beautiful the place where the Stingray are "kept" is a fenced (yes really) in area. You get into this fenced in area and there are a few dozen Stingrays. We did the 2nd excursion that day, and they were not hungry and I had a hard time trying to get one to take the squid I was holding.

The Murder Mystery was on Wednesday night. We also visited Portofino's on Monday night since it is Caribbean night and had the least interesting menu. Just and fyi...... Italian night is on Thursday.

Formal nights were on Sunday (prime rib dinner) & Friday (lobster night). They had 3 smart casual & 3 casual nights.

Our Head Waiter asked us on Friday night before we left the dining room if we had any special requests for Saturday night. I requested chocolate souffle and filet mignon and got both. He earned his tip.

The overall service was excellent all over the ship.

Julie, glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves. We are on the Jewel n ext March for the eight day also.

The Mystery Dinner sounds interesting, do you recall which night it took place? Was it the first fomral night or some other evening?

Thanks,

bobj

As soon as you board the ship call Portofino's and make your reservations. It will sell out fast. The cost is $49 per person. It starts in one of the ship lounges (Safari Club on the Jewel) and moves to Portofino's. The price includes champagne & appetizers in the lounge and dinner (all the red & white wine you can drink, more appetizers, filet mignon, and tirimisu). The food was and always is amazing at Portofino's. It starts at 7:00 p.m. and lasted until a little after 10:00 p.m. Attending this will be one of my fondest cruise memories. I could tell more...... but I don't want to spoil anything.

How do you sign up for the murder mystery dinner? Just make reservations? We are leaving for our Jewel cruise on Saturday Yay! We are very interested in the murder mystery dinner. Sounds fun! What did you think of it?

As soon as you board the ship call Portofino's and make your reservations. It will sell out fast. The cost is $49 per person. It starts in one of the ship lounges (Safari Club on the Jewel) and moves to Portofino's. The price includes champagne & appetizers in the lounge and dinner (all the red & white wine you can drink, more appetizers, filet mignon, and tirimisu). The food was and always is amazing at Portofino's. It starts at 7:00 p.m. and lasted until a little after 10:00 p.m. Attending this will be one of my fondest cruise memories. I could tell more...... but I don't want to spoil anything.

How do you sign up for the murder mystery dinner? Just make reservations? We are leaving for our Jewel cruise on Saturday Yay! We are very interested in the murder mystery dinner. Sounds fun! What did you think of it?

Thats sounds so cool... quick q on the menu - do they have any alternatives to filet mignon?

Also, beach day on Bahamas - did you arrange yourself or through ship? Cost please?

tHANKS!

By any chance was Leaveyou (spelled wrong but pronounced correctly) you headwaiter? i snookered him into escargot three nights ... and did you meet Cameron at the Murder Mystery???????????? what a terrific actor i just loved his voice... i was in cabin 9038 (3 people) and had Patrick as a cabin steward.. no problems with noise, room or anything.. can't wait to sail her again! anyone sailing the JOTS ask for waiter Pramode and asst waiter Vin.... what a great combo.. tell them Mr Paul from Boston sent you.

Weary Traveler

By any chance was Leaveyou (spelled wrong but pronounced correctly) you headwaiter? i snookered him into escargot three nights ... and did you meet Cameron at the Murder Mystery???????????? what a terrific actor i just loved his voice... i was in cabin 9038 (3 people) and had Patrick as a cabin steward.. no problems with noise, room or anything.. can't wait to sail her again! anyone sailing the JOTS ask for waiter Pramode and asst waiter Vin.... what a great combo.. tell them Mr Paul from Boston sent you.

Weary Traveler

Yes.......we had him! And the asst was a gal........forgot her name

The menu is set, unless you have food allergies or vegetarian. We arrived the Breezes excursion thru the ship.

Thats sounds so cool... quick q on the menu - do they have any alternatives to filet mignon?

Also, beach day on Bahamas - did you arrange yourself or through ship? Cost please?

tHANKS!

Archived