Crown - not for us

Dena

I was looking forward to the Crown, but after reading these boards and looking at some pictures, I think the Crown has serious problems (the Sanctuary situation is indicative of this). DH and I have enjoyed 2 things on the Diamond, Sapphire, and Dawn that the Crown doesn't seem to offer.

First, we like to recline on the steamer chairs on the promenade deck and look at the ocean and/or read. This is the ideal spot for us because it provides shade and a view of the ocean. But according to the pictures I've seen, the Crown doesn't have steamer chairs, it only has upright chairs, these will not be comfortable for an extended period as they do not allow one to put his feet up. Is there another shady spot with recliners and an ocean view? I don't know. Someone mentioned the terrace pool. Maybe this could be an option, but for how many?

Second, we always enjoyed visiting the adults-only swim against the current pool, even if only for a quick swim - there were always plenty of lounge chairs even on the Sapphire and Diamond. On the Crown, this area has been upgraded a bit and called "The Sanctuary" and it is so popular that although it was advertised as free, no it's 15 dollars per person for a half day. No more quick swim without paying 30 dollars. However, the real question in this: why is it so popular - this has not been been the case on the Diamond and Sapphire ?? The extra amenities don't really explain this IMHO. What it it about the Crown that causes adults to need a sanctuary so badly? Ideally, the whole ship would be a sanctuary.

My understanding is that the noise of MUTS drives may people away from the main pool. The promenade deck is no longer inviting for lounging and reading. The other pool has the band and the pool games. So those looking for a peaceful, quiet, sanctuary are now relegated to their balcony (if they have one) or they have become desperate enough to pay 30 dollars per couple for a half day's "sanctuary." No thank you. If this is the case, Crown represents everything cruising should not be.

I agree, the Crown does not seem to generate mush interest for us....no desire to sail from New York or San Juan.......fortunately, other Princess ships with great itineraries are available.

We've never sailed Princess before, so we are very excited to sail on Crown Princess in September. I like sailing new ships on any cruiseline, but feel particularly interested in this ship because of the alternative dining options. We loved sailing out of NY 18 months ago on NCL Dawn. I really liked freestyle dining on NCL. We both enjoy trying new cruiselines and new ships whenever possible. Sometimes we book for the ship and other times it is for the itinerary.

Our favorite departure ports are Miami, Boston, LA and NY. Boston has an absolutely gorgeous harbor with lots of little islands, but I really enjoyed sailing from NY going past the Statue of Liberty and looking back at the skyline of NYC. Best of all, we awoke to tropical air in the gulfstream waters the next morning. It may have been December on the calendar, but the gulf stream was delightful. I remember the air and water temperatures both being 73 degrees on December 18 east of Maryland until late afternoon. Nothing to complain about on that cruise.

Our least favorite cruise was in March last year when we sailed from Hawaii to Ensenada for 4 days. The seas were rough and the air was cold for 3 days. Forget about reading on the promenade. You could barely walk outside. Next time we will fly roundtrip to Hawaii and sail NCL.

Hope I enjoy sailing on Princess. We are really looking forward to a new ship again.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Some of these posts make me laugh. NY was not used as a year around port(except for rare Cunard Sailings) until NCL brought in the Dawn year around. Even summer cruises to the Carribe and NE were at best rare. At least three cruise lines now have year around cruising. NCL has three here for a extended period(two year around). Carnival, RCI, Princess, Cunard, MSC(which may or may not be on hold)....and it required the building of two new cruise terminals....I think Yogi said it best- no one goes there any more its too crowded....

No more quick swim without paying 30 dollars. However, the real question in this: why is it so popular - this has not been been the case on the Diamond and Sapphire ?? The extra amenities don't really explain this IMHO. What it it about the Crown that causes adults to need a sanctuary so badly?

From the reviews it seems the spa pool is NOT part of The Sanctuary (it is one deck below, although can be seen from The Sanctuary if you look down) and can be used for free. So, you can still use the swim-against-the-current pool at no charge.

As for The Sanctuary, you can't compare it to Diamond/Sapphire. They have a sports court where The Sanctuary is (on Crown the sports court was moved between the funnel and Skywalkers). Looking at The Sanctuary photos I can see why it is so popular - it is retreat from the masses (and kids) and looks gorgeous. Crown appears to have so much nice, new and unique stuff to offer. If you don't want to pay for The Sanctuary simply don't go there.

You obviously like Diamond/Sapphire and those ships have no Sanctuary. Even if you choose not to use Crown's Sanctuary, it looks like a much nicer ship than Diamond/Sapphire so I would think you'll love it.

While I wholeheartedly agree, the fee is out of line, it is common psycologically for people to want something that only a few can partake of. Like very expensive restaurants people will still go because (a) it is great food, (b) to see and be seen or © because it is expensive. We are driving to Brooklyn and sailing on the Crown. We, too, love to sail new ships and the Crown is no exception. We have never sailed from N.Y. and a few nickle and diming items won't stop us from enjoying this beautiful ship.

I asked on another thread, and you can still swim in the Swim-against-the-current-pool without having to pay. The pool is just outside the area where they are charging people to go (and I believe the pool is still adults only).

I think part of the allure of the Sanctuary is the very plush/comfortable towels and lounge chairs that they offer in the area, in addition to being adults only. There are also other amenities that you can't get elsewhere - stewards to bring you food, ice-cold face towels to cool you off, bowls of fruit sitting around on the tables, some of the lounge chairs are made for two people, the ability to pay for and enjoy a massage outdoors under tents, etc. Very much an upscale, romantic, quiet place to relax according to all that I've been reading...

Good thoughts Dena. We cruised the Carribean Princess last year. We feel Princess offers a fine product for the money. We enjoy the fresh water pools and the anythime dinning. The shows were excellent. However, we also thought the ship was "to big" for us. Too many people, people fussing over chairs by the pool and Muts was always way to loud. To me "The Sanctuary" is another way to make $$. We have no problem sailing out of NY past Lady Liberty (our favorite) but prefer a smaller ship. :)

I asked on another thread, and you can still swim in the Swim-against-the-current-pool without having to pay. The pool is just outside the area where they are charging people to go (and I believe the pool is still adults only).

That's good news about the pool. I'd still miss the reclining chairs that are on the promenade of the other ships. Having a balcony doesn't really solve the problem, because, unlike the promenade with its deep overhang, the balcony is often in the sun.

I apologize for leaving out HAL. I did some checking the following majors stop in NY, Costa, Crystal, Residence, Hauppage LLoyd, P and O, NYK and some others like Saga and Japanese lines make occassional stops...yessiree no one goes there any more.

I was looking forward to the Crown, but after reading these boards and looking at some pictures, I think the Crown has serious problems (the Sanctuary situation is indicative of this). DH and I have enjoyed 2 things on the Diamond, Sapphire, and Dawn that the Crown doesn't seem to offer.

First, we like to recline on the steamer chairs on the promenade deck and look at the ocean and/or read. This is the ideal spot for us because it provides shade and a view of the ocean. But according to the pictures I've seen, the Crown doesn't have steamer chairs, it only has upright chairs, these will not be comfortable for an extended period as they do not allow one to put his feet up. Is there another shady spot with recliners and an ocean view? I don't know. Someone mentioned the terrace pool. Maybe this could be an option, but for how many?

Second, we always enjoyed visiting the adults-only swim against the current pool, even if only for a quick swim - there were always plenty of lounge chairs even on the Sapphire and Diamond. On the Crown, this area has been upgraded a bit and called "The Sanctuary" and it is so popular that although it was advertised as free, no it's 15 dollars per person for a half day. No more quick swim without paying 30 dollars. However, the real question in this: why is it so popular - this has not been been the case on the Diamond and Sapphire ?? The extra amenities don't really explain this IMHO. What it it about the Crown that causes adults to need a sanctuary so badly? Ideally, the whole ship would be a sanctuary.

My understanding is that the noise of MUTS drives may people away from the main pool. The promenade deck is no longer inviting for lounging and reading. The other pool has the band and the pool games. So those looking for a peaceful, quiet, sanctuary are now relegated to their balcony (if they have one) or they have become desperate enough to pay 30 dollars per couple for a half day's "sanctuary." No thank you. If this is the case, Crown represents everything cruising should not be.

Everyone has different needs on a ship, but we loved the Crown Princess and this was one of the best cruises we have had in many many, and we cruise about every six weeks, the sailing out of Red Hook was very nice, our fellow passengers were great, the food was excellent and we eat all our meals in either the Horizon court or the Cafe Caribe, the musicans were outstanding, the other shows and entertainers were great, the weather was wonderful.........we only had 2 complaints, the first was that the piped music into the buffets and onto the decks was terrible loud jungle music, we did get that stopped when we found the right man to tell and the second was that we found that 9 nites is now too long for us, we played to hard and were worn out. It was a fantasic 9 days...........

oh, u will find many shaded quiet spots for lounging and sea watching.

I agree with the OP. I had a cruise booked on Crown but am going to cancel this week. Nothing I have read indicates it would be a good choice for my personal taste so I am looking eslewhere.

The reason they need the Sanctuary is that these large ships attract more families, hence more kids. These days on so many mainstream ships, there is simply no way to escape them.:mad: I for one, do not care to have noise and kids on vacation so my Sanctuary bill at the end of the cruise would be pretty high. Add that to all the other up charges (specialty restaurants, fitness classes, etc) and I have spent as much as I would on a luxury line who does not nickel and dime.

JMHO and I am sure the Crown is beautiful and will do well for Princess. But, I am going to stick with the smaller ships and the lines that do not go after the family market.

I've cruised on the CB and spent an evening on the Crown. Although the kids areas are great on the Crown, overall, it still appears to be a more adult oriented ship. Itineraries over 7 days generally attract fewer children. I think prejudging the Sanctuary is ridiculous at this point....time will tell what works and what doesn't.

Everyone has different needs on a ship, but we loved the Crown Princess and this was one of the best cruises we have had in many many, and we cruise about every six weeks, the sailing out of Red Hook was very nice, our fellow passengers were great, the food was excellent and we eat all our meals in either the Horizon court or the Cafe Caribe, the musicans were outstanding, the other shows and entertainers were great, the weather was wonderful.........we only had 2 complaints, the first was that the piped music into the buffets and onto the decks was terrible loud jungle music, we did get that stopped when we found the right man to tell and the second was that we found that 9 nites is now too long for us, we played to hard and were worn out. It was a fantasic 9 days...........

Glad you had a great time on your cruise. We will be sailing her in October 2006. Can you share with us the shaded quiet spots for lounging and sea watching on the ship?

Thank you:)

I'd like to try the Crown, she looks just beautiful and sparkling.

Nothing I have seen has put me off, I know how crowded cruise ships can get and I think it is a bonus to be able to pay a premium for a secluded/uncrowded area.

Also I think MUTS is cool, wish the Golden had it.

Glad you had a great time on your cruise. We will be sailing her in October 2006. Can you share with us the shaded quiet spots for lounging and sea watching on the ship?

Thank you:)

I can't tell u exactly as it depends on the time of day and the direction u are sailing, but we just grabbed our towels and starting walking until we found our spot..........sometimes on the fantail , decks 15-16, the promenade is also nice, one side or the other, altho we didn't sit out there, we like to people watch so we need to be where there is some action. There are many areas to explore.......i am sure u will find just the right ones.............enjoy, she is a beauty.............

I just got back from the maiden voyage on the Crown and I have to say that people are making the sanctuary out to be a lot more thatn what it really is, in my opinion. It is a small partially covered area with soft cusion chairs and food and beverage service. There is also two cabanas to get massages. No pool. Pool is one deck below but you can see from the sanctuary. I was very disappointed when I went to visit the sanctuary. At first I thought I wasn't even in the right spot. I don't know what I was expecting, but everyone had made such hype about it.

I have pictures if anyone is interested.

As far as the pools, the pool below the sanctuary has deck chairs and is adults only as well as the one on the very back of the ship. I think the one across from the MUTS on deck 15 is also adult only but I am not sure b/c we never used that one. We always used the MUTS one.

So, the Crown is not for you.

But, it is for others. There are a lot of ships out there to chose from.

Thank goodness!

Certain people will always find something negative to say. How funny, the whiners and chronic complainers, already have their view on the Crown and it's only on it's second voyage.

Very Sad...

I am sure that in the next several sailings there will be more positive statements. I for one!

Sorry to have to correct you but the Spa Pool is still open to ALL adults and has nothing to do with The Sanctuary. No charge for the pool. Where do you get your information??? Yes there are chairs on the Promenade Deck. Sorry again. You can also use the aft pool. No children there and no charge.

I agree that MUTS is very loud but there are so many other places to go who cares. If enough people complain about the volume of the sound I am sure Princess will turn it down a notch. If you don't like the Crown, don't sail on it. More room for me.

I've cruised on the CB and spent an evening on the Crown. Although the kids areas are great on the Crown, overall, it still appears to be a more adult oriented ship. Itineraries over 7 days generally attract fewer children. I think prejudging the Sanctuary is ridiculous at this point....time will tell what works and what doesn't.

I totally agree.......I think the sanctuary is a good idea. I do plan to go and take a look at it when I get aboard...but I probably won't use it for $15.00. When I want some peace and quiet and don't want to be around other folks........I'll be on the balcony of my mini-suite.....with a few drinks and a book.....if I want something to eat....I'll call room service:D A vacation is what you make of it.....I plan to make mine a lot of fun:cool:

Aaaaaahhhh....Amen, Richard!!! ;)

Sorry to have to correct you but the Spa Pool is still open to ALL adults and has nothing to do with The Sanctuary. No charge for the pool. Where do you get your information??? Yes there are chairs on the Promenade Deck. Sorry again. You can also use the aft pool. No children there and no charge.

I agree that MUTS is very loud but there are so many other places to go who cares. If enough people complain about the volume of the sound I am sure Princess will turn it down a notch. If you don't like the Crown, don't sail on it. More room for me.

Yes there are chairs on the Promenade Deck. Sorry again. You can also use the aft pool. .

I know there are chairs on the promenade deck; I've seen the photos. The problem is they are not "steamer chairs." In other words, you can not recline and put your feet up. So basically, these chairs are only good for short term use, not for, say, lounging and reading a book. So where do I go to get out of sun, recline, and still view the ocean? I hope I really am wrong about this; I would be happy to see a photo taken on the promenade deck of either the Crown or Caribbean that shows chaise style steamer chairs.

And I've seen photos of the aft pool; it looks like finding shade will be difficult (there appear to be only a handful of chairs that provide shade).

we only had 2 complaints, the first was that the piped music into the buffets and onto the decks was terrible loud jungle music, we did get that stopped when we found the right man to tell and the second was that we found that 9 nites is now too long for us, we played to hard and were worn out. It was a fantasic 9 days...........

This information about the loud music concerns me and reinforces my negative impressions about this ship (and the Caribbean Princess for that matter).

If I still lived in NJ, I'd probably try the Crown anyway because I'd need to balance its negatives with the cost and inconvenience of flying - and flying really is a hassle. But now I have to fly anyway, so I'd just as soon sail on a nice Sun class ship or even on the Diamond/Sapphire.....or maybe the Tahitian:D .

(P.S. We actually found a 10 night cruise too short .)

Archived