On the Serenade "things I do not understand!"

I am currently on the Serenade of the Seas. Before I post some quick comments let me just say that I am having a GREAT time. What a neat ship and crew! I will write a more detailed report/review, but for now here are some quick observations:

1. Some folks look at you really oddly when you say you are travelling alone.

This si my first time traveling solo and let me tell you that it is one of the most rewarding things I have done for myself in a long while. When you are a single parent and when you work hard at your own business it is good to just be for a while...I'm loving it! I will admit that there were times I wondered if I would enjoy it or not.

2. I don't understand why parents of really young children (age 3/4 or less) will take them cruising.

I know some would say it is a choice kinda like me traveling solo, but there is a huge difference. I can handle me (well most of the time), but when I see these young parents it is hard for me to grasp how they can really take advantage of the cruising experience. It is not the kids fault. They are doing what kids that age do...But some of the parents have had their hands full!

3. People who have special dietary needs and how they handle them.

Look I am lactose (sp) intolerant. So I know to take the pills or stay away from certain dairy products. Sometimes I will suffer through it because I just have to have that milkshake or whatever, but I saw some folks that literally acted as if the cruise should have revamped the entire menu to satisify their diatary needs! Not only that they had this attitude (especially the husband) that they were going to pout the entire cruise if they did not get what they wanted. I felt sorry for them. Why? Because it must be tough to live in that kind of a headspace... Nothing is that serious...go with the flow...

which leads to the next thing I don't understand

4. Why do folks behave as if the food is going to run out?

I come from a family of six kids and I know what it is like to be late for dinner, but sometimes when I walk into the Windjammer I see folks rushing from one place to another like the ship is going to run out of food! It is funny to watch. This does not happen all the time, but there have been moments when folks acted as if someone was giving away free money.

Relax folks there is more than enough food for you, me and several small countries!

5. Why is the internet so slow on ships?

RCCL is not the only one with this problem. I have spent about $15 dollars and have yet to send one email. They simply don't go through. (especially on AOL) I happen to think the whole internet usage charge is a rip off, but when they have you by the short hairs what are you gonna do? I brought my laptop but waited too long to get a cable...

Besides this internet cafe in Skagway ain't that bad at all for $4 an hour!!

6.Why are phone calls 6.95 an hour?

This is a minor issue because I have no intention of calling anyone, but I have always wondered why that price/ I mean, why not $7? And I also wonder if anyon e know what is the cost to RCCL (and other lines) to actually provide that service?

7. Since the cabin stewards are in teams now, how are they getting tipped?

Think about it. If you had one cabin steward in the past ten it was a no brainer, but now with the team system you have two folks whit twice as much work. How are the gratuities evenly distributed? How do you know that one of the "team" is actually doing all the work? Some would say why worry about it, but I happen to believe folks should be compensated for all that they do. My situatio nis a little different in that I have two cabin stewards who have both been providing EXCELLENT service! So how do I handle that?

I already know what I am goiing to do, but yeeeessshhh!

OK, enough with my observations, like I said I am really having a GREAT time, but I laugh and wonder in amazment at the things I see and the things that people do...me included!

I have a simple answer to all your questions. Cruising isn't what it used to be. it's still the greatest vacation in the world but different.

Norma

I am currently on the Serenade of the Seas. Before I post some quick comments let me just say that I am having a GREAT time. What a neat ship and crew! I will write a more detailed report/review, but for now here are some quick observations:

This si my first time traveling solo and let me tell you that it is one of the most rewarding things I have done for myself in a long while. When you are a single parent and when you work hard at your own business it is good to just be for a while...I'm loving it! I will admit that there were times I wondered if I would enjoy it or not.

2. I don't understand why parents of really young children (age 3/4 or less) will take them cruising.

I know some would say it is a choice kinda like me traveling solo, but there is a huge difference. I can handle me (well most of the time), but when I see these young parents it is hard for me to grasp how they can really take advantage of the cruising experience. It is not the kids fault. They are doing what kids that age do...But some of the parents have had their hands full!

Look I am lactose (sp) intolerant. So I know to take the pills or stay away from certain dairy products. Sometimes I will suffer through it because I just have to have that milkshake or whatever, but I saw some folks that literally acted as if the cruise should have revamped the entire menu to satisify their diatary needs! Not only that they had this attitude (especially the husband) that they were going to pout the entire cruise if they did not get what they wanted. I felt sorry for them. Why? Because it must be tough to live in that kind of a headspace... Nothing is that serious...go with the flow...

which leads to the next thing I don't understand

I come from a family of six kids and I know what it is like to be late for dinner, but sometimes when I walk into the Windjammer I see folks rushing from one place to another like the ship is going to run out of food! It is funny to watch. This does not happen all the time, but there have been moments when folks acted as if someone was giving away free money.

Relax folks there is more than enough food for you, me and several small countries!

RCCL is not the only one with this problem. I have spent about $15 dollars and have yet to send one email. They simply don't go through. (especially on AOL) I happen to think the whole internet usage charge is a rip off, but when they have you by the short hairs what are you gonna do? I brought my laptop but waited too long to get a cable...

Besides this internet cafe in Skagway ain't that bad at all for $4 an hour!!

This is a minor issue because I have no intention of calling anyone, but I have always wondered why that price/ I mean, why not $7? And I also wonder if anyon e know what is the cost to RCCL (and other lines) to actually provide that service?

Think about it. If you had one cabin steward in the past ten it was a no brainer, but now with the team system you have two folks whit twice as much work. How are the gratuities evenly distributed? How do you know that one of the "team" is actually doing all the work? Some would say why worry about it, but I happen to believe folks should be compensated for all that they do. My situatio nis a little different in that I have two cabin stewards who have both been providing EXCELLENT service! So how do I handle that?

I already know what I am goiing to do, but yeeeessshhh!

OK, enough with my observations, like I said I am really having a GREAT time, but I laugh and wonder in amazment at the things I see and the things that people do...me included!

:( This is what I have always said. >>*leave 'em at home*

I am looking so forward to having the full cruise experience.I also know that kids are on holidays with their parents. Many families are functional and responsible with their kids.It is just my queery ..why toddlers / babies .

......flames begin ! I know 10 month old babies just love the cruise experience :rolleyes:

I have been avidly watching for anyone on the Serenade for weeks now, so thank you for spending the $4 to post :D

It's our turn on Sunday, but I am anxious to hear as much as you care to share.

How is the weather this week?

Is their any kind of speaker or naturalist on board?

How close did you get to Hubbard Glacier and where did you go to see it?

Is your seating early or late and are you planning to skip the dining room on Saturday so you can sight see while cruising the Misty Fjords?

What excursions did you go on and what did you think of them?

Do people hang around the Sky Bar\pool on an Alaskan cruise or is everybody inside somewhere on sea days?

I'll stop now, but feel free to share any other details!

-Laurie

My response to all your questions above about passenger behaviour: it's human nature.

I get a laugh out of a lot of the posts on this board, because NOTHING has changed in over 30 years. It's amazing how much the same it is. More children, that's true, but the race for food, tantrum throwing in the dining room, etc. is the same.

My advice about the room stewards is they probably split the tip, but give them each extra or their share privately.

Regarding the kids: we took our two sons to Barbados twice when they were young: 3 and 8. We stayed at a large hotel with an open-air dining room, which was very nice with dim lighting, nice cutlery, impeccable service....you get the picture. Our sons took Legos to dinner with them, and ate and built things very, very busily all during dinner. The dining staff just moved the food around their Legos. They were quiet every night, all through dinner. What I'm trying to say is if the parents think of the child's needs instead of their own, they can keep children occupied and behaving decently. Most of the people with misbehaving children on cruises are thinking of the cruise as a GIANT babysitter, which is self-centered and incredibly rude. I repeat: people who care about other people take care of their children's behavior. I've seen an even amount of both on cruises in the last 30 years (mostly the last 20 since it's become popular for families). It's not all bad, and if it was, then I would remove myself. I can control MY whereabouts, not the children's.

Hey, thanks Folgy!

I just considered it common sense. Why make a kid miserable when it was so easy to keep him occupied? We are amazed now when we go into restaurants and see children misbehaving. Take a little bag of toys with you, for Pete's sake!!

Yes I've noticed this too. It's worse if you're female. :D

I was anxious the first time I cruised solo but I ended up loving it!

I tend to agree on this. My sister wants to cruise next year and my niece will only be 18 months old. I told my sis, she's nuts. I might consider not going with them. LOL

SO true! LOL!! One advantage to cruising solo... all the people watching you have time to do!

It's an evil plot developed by RCL to increase the balance of your onboard account :D

See above :D

Hey 6.99 IS cheaper than 7.00!! LOL :D

This may have changed since I cruised on RCL last as it's been awhile but one of the stewards hires an assistant and pays him out of his own pocket. Not sure if that has changed though. If I'm getting great service, I always tip more anyway.

LOL Glad to hear you're having a great time! Can't wait to read your review when you get back. I was wondering what a solo cruise to Alaska would be like. I'm thinking about going solo next year. What are you doing for excursions? Did you book on your own or go through the ship? What about dining? Late/early? Did they seat you with other singles? What is the age demographic on your cruise? Have you met other singles on your cruise? What's the nightlife like? OK, too many questions, I'll stop! Thanks! :)

It's an evil plot developed by RCL to increase the balance of your onboard account ---------------------------------------------------------------

I am laughing so hard ..I think I just gave myself a hernia :D

It's an evil plot developed by RCL to increase the balance of your onboard account ---------------------------------------------------------------

I am laughing so hard ..I think I just gave myself a hernia :D

This made me laugh out loud too. The folks on the ship may think I have lost my mind!

I will post more tomorrow. when the prices are better (in port!)

Good comments everyone

Will be on the Serenade October 7 to Hawaii.....curious about the "hump" cabins....We have 8590.....would love to hear from someone who has actually "seen the balcony"....from the deck plans it looks small....

Glad you're enjoying your cruise.....Alaska is beautiful country.......

Anxious to see your complete review.....

Glad you are having fun.

Any stateroom information?

I don't understand why parents of really young children (age 3/4 or less) will take them cruising.
I saw some parents of young children on a Celebrity ship that were having a GRAND time with their kids. They kept trying to drop them off at the "kids club" and the darlings were screaming bloody murder. :rolleyes: They did not want to go in and leave their parents. This all happened in the outdoor exit to the playground. We had the fortune of being seated in lounge chairs just a few feet away. This went on for a good half hour! The parents/children would leave and the parents tried to console the children by talking with them, screaming at them and threatening them. Then they would arrive back at the gate to the playground...OH joy! It would start up again...such lovely voices. :D They FINALLY gave up and left. I blame the parents...not the children.

Sounds like you're having a great time! I'm always saying that the reason I don't travel more is $$$ and an available companion. Single travelers going on crusies and to resorts pay a hefty price. Hearing you say you're really enjoying it makes me give it more consideration.

I just got home last Sunday from my first solo cruise and I loved it! I too got some of the same reaction from other passengers, perplexed why I would cruise solo....I have the same perplextion as to why someone would not :).

Each day is a precious gift from God, and I believe we should enjoy it to the fullest, and I sure did enjoy my solo cruise. I also did 1 day precruise and 1 day postcruise in Boston, and enjoyed it very much. I encourage others who are considering solo cruising to do it.

Enjoy!

Marie

It's true.. We were on the Serenade in Nov and are going again this Nov. You would've thought they were going to run out of food or something. People we taking plates mounded with food from the Windjammer back to their cabins.

The midnight buffet in the dining room was the worst. The people were animals. They were taking 2 and 3 plates each mounded with food out the door like they were starving. Where were they putting all this food? No one could possibly eat that much food. By the time we got inside there wasn't much left, and there were still long lines waiting to get in.

I also was pushed from behind and wound up with cake frosting on the front of my dress. Mind you, this was formal night, so everyone was dressed up. No manners, but dressed up.

Act civilized people. They should not allow people to take left overs back to their cabins (or at least limit them to 1 plate each).

Look I am lactose (sp) intolerant. So I know to take the pills or stay away from certain dairy products. Sometimes I will suffer through it because I just have to have that milkshake or whatever, but I saw some folks that literally acted as if the cruise should have revamped the entire menu to satisify their diatary needs! Not only that they had this attitude (especially the husband) that they were going to pout the entire cruise if they did not get what they wanted. I felt sorry for them. Why? Because it must be tough to live in that kind of a headspace... Nothing is that serious...

I'm not sticking up for folks who are obnoxious about their needs or ill-mannered in asking for them--apparently you saw some of those people on board. :rolleyes: But some things ARE "that serious." If you choose to trade discomfort for a dairy product, that's your choice. Some people have allergies, such as to peanuts, where their lives will be threatened if they ingest them. Other folks have diabetes and must carefully balance what they eat with their insulin requirements.

Glad the silly things people do aren't ruining your cruise. :)

Chris

My husband and I both love to cruise. But what he likes to do on a cruise is sleep in, kick back and relax, go to the casino and movies. What I like to do is get up early to see the sun rise, do all the "ship shape" activities I can, join in the trivia games, etc., etc., etc. So on sea days we usually meet each other for lunch and dinner and in between we do our own thing. And we're both having a great time!!

On one cruise we took, some of the "ship shape" regulars asked me more than once "are you cruising alone?" haha :D

But some things ARE "that serious." If you choose to trade discomfort for a dairy product, that's your choice. Some people have allergies, such as to peanuts, where their lives will be threatened if they ingest them. Other folks have diabetes and must carefully balance what they eat with their insulin requirements.

I knew someone might take exception to my comments, but I am a firm believer that if you have certain requirements there is a way to take good care of your needs, and another that makes you an obnoxious pain in the a**

I'm not sure what you mean by that, Bill. I do agree that there is a limit to the amount of accommodation that needs to be afforded in most cases. Should the USA ban peanuts? Surely not. Should day care centers be required to monitor or prohibit sharing lunches between children in their care? Without a doubt. So there is a line somewhere in between those two. We'll always struggle about where that line should be, and indeed, the line will necessarily be in different places for different situations.

I knew someone might take exception to my comments, but I am a firm believer that if you have certain requirements there is a way to take good care of your needs, and another that makes you an obnoxious pain in the a**

And I absolutely agree with you.

Chris

I do have anaphylatic reactions to eggs - a very common substance that hide in all sorts of things. But I don't believe in being loud about my needs.

First RCCI does cater to dietary restrictions - you just have to let them know about six weeks in advance - and this isn't just food allergies, some of the others are kosher, celiac, and vegetarian. They also asked for a list of medication to have on hand if you do have a bad reaction. I will carry an epi-pen (besides being very careful) but it is good to know that the other necessary meds will be on board.

BTW great thread - love the info hre

Dawn

Archived