Cell Phone Service On Board The Yachts Of Seabourn

norm2002

From the Seabourn Horizons email just received.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about it. The vast majority of Seabourn passengers are very considerate of others. But isn't a vacation meant to be a vacation? And at least the phone can't ring in Eric's big solo!

"For the convenience of our guests, Seabourn has entered into an agreement with Wireless Maritime Services to provide an advanced roaming network on board all three Seabourn yachts, allowing you to make and receive calls using your own mobile phone and phone number when the ship is at sea. The service is accessible to most mobile phones supporting GSM technology. It is available now on Seabourn Pride and will commence on Seabourn Legend in April and on Spirit in May.

In addition, if your home carrier supports GPRS data service, you can use mobile phone service with compatible GPRS data capable personal digital assistants such as Blackberrys, just as you would at home.

Rates for international roaming are determined by your home carrier. The charges for your calls will be billed to your regular mobile phone account by your home carrier. When the ship is in port, service will revert to a local mobile carrier.

WMS has roaming agreements with over 340 carriers, but not all carriers or prepaid phones are currently supported. Check with your local carrier to ensure that they are supported.

The WMS service is active in all suites and many public areas of the ship. The system is silenced in the Restaurant, the Veranda Café, the main show lounge, The Club and the observation lounge. In public areas, please set your ringer to vibrate and avoid conversations that might be intrusive to others."

Oh Goody, I can use my Cell Phone along with my two-way radio at the Sky Bar

Uh, Breaker One-Nine, this here's the Rubber Duck

You got a copy on me Pig-Pen? C'mon

Uh, yeah 10-4 Pig Pen, fer sure, fer sure

By golly it's clean clear to Flag-Town, C'mon

Uh, yeah, that's a big 10-4 Pig-Pen,

Yeah, we definitely got us the front door good buddy,

Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy

. me thinks I better run and hiding.gif

The really great news in the States is the FAA just ruled that Cell Phones will not be allowed to be used on planes. :) Too many people did not want to seat next to a chatty passenger for two hours.

Hi Norm!

Long time, no posts. How was your last cruise? Did I miss your trip report?

>" ...please set your ringer to vibrate and avoid conversations that might be intrusive to others."

It's not the ring I mind, but the people shouting into their cell phones. It has become most annoying on deck. I think that the service should be limited to one's suite. But then, I don't run a business or have anyone who might call, so perhaps my perspective is skewed. I think perhaps families on the larger ships use them to keep track of everyone.

I am pleased about the ban on planes, for sure.

Howdy Norman!

I have a cell phone, but only a few have my number~~~it's for me

to use in West Texas if I have car trouble~~~or to use in the US at airports or to let my family know "I'm back!" Miss A. has an International phone and she calls me when she's in port~~~yes, she's very well and still the Queen of the Pride~~~she had a few surgeries, but she is back in fine form! Never looked better!

You surely missed a fantastic Pride Crossing in March! The "Gang" was all there~~~~most with cell phones~~~:cool:

Happy Easter:p

Martita B.

Saw the "Herald" as well. Now this would work out well for me, I can use it in my cabin (more than once I've been in a panic trying to connect through my room phone with a scuba shop), but I have visions of having to hear people throughout the ship talking on their phones, "yes we're on the bow, sitting in the jacuzzi, yes it's very nice. Yes, wish you were here...".

I live in southern California. If you see someone driving, in a grocery store, in an elevator, in a restaurant, walking down the street, in the mall, in the post office, going through McDonald's, who isn't on a cell phone, it's an unusual day. I hope this doesn't become the worst of all our nightmares!

Jane :(

It is nice to have it available. Based on our one trip on Seabourn, I doubt most passengers will make it a bother.

By the way, for those that do not want to pay the $2.50 for roaming calls, there is an alternative. Some frequent message threads on the NCL board talk about getting a prepaid TRACFONE that 'currently' allows calls at around $.20 per minute. We just did it on a recent NCL Sun cruise and it works fine.

Skip over there and search on TRACFONE to learn more.

I hope there will be rules as tough on cell phones as there are on smoking. Cell phones are a wonderful handy devise, but I would hate to be sitting next to a chatty Kathy or Ken any where in Seabourn. I used to have a rule when skiing--on a chair lift--if your phone comes out--you go out! No one tested me!

I hope there will be rules as tough on cell phones as there are on smoking. Cell phones are a wonderful handy devise, but I would hate to be sitting next to a chatty Kathy or Ken any where in Seabourn. I used to have a rule when skiing--on a chair lift--if your phone comes out--you go out! No one tested me!

After watching cell phones on a few ships recently, I really do not think you will have a problem. Not worth the worry at this point.

Cell phone useage on the Legend has been infrequent, but service excellent. Its nice to know that you have the option to use your cell onboard. The only "glitch" and a small one at that is that there is a second delay before and after you speak. I'll be sure to let everyone know what my roaming charges were when I return. Wifi has been excellent all over the ship as well.

Host Dan

The only "glitch" and a small one at that is that there is a second delay before and after you speak.

Host Dan

The phones go thru equipment on the ship and have to hit a satellite. These are at 24,000 miles out in orbit and that what causes the delay.

BB

Old modem man, who needs modems faster than 2400 baud.:D

sorry to be clueless here but this is surprising; definitely cell phone access was not available on my early March trip on Legend (I know that mainly because we had a bit of a crisis at home and had to use the ship-to-shore phone to deal with it).

Anyway, I am more likely to forget about the danged thing (cell phone) and leave it in a purse buried way beneath shoes in the closet. That is of course unless there's an emergency. And then the love seat in my cabin on Seabourn Legend was just the right place (when we were in ports of call that connected, so to speak). The dratted thing never saw light beyond that.

I am of the traveler-type that wants to get away from life; but on the other hand, should there be an urgency, appreciate the relative cost efficiency.

Carolyn

Cell phone useage on the Legend has been infrequent, but service excellent. Its nice to know that you have the option to use your cell onboard. The only "glitch" and a small one at that is that there is a second delay before and after you speak. I'll be sure to let everyone know what my roaming charges were when I return. Wifi has been excellent all over the ship as well.

Host Dan

sorry to be clueless here but this is surprising; definitely cell phone access was not available on my early March trip on Legend (...Carolyn

that relates to the announcement that it was being installed in April and May. - see first message.

Archived