Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Azamara Club Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Azamara Club Cruises
Find Your Azamara Club Cruises Roll Call

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Azamara Inaugural Departure Delayed

We just got back from Bayonne and are very disappointed. For some reason, the Journey is not sailing today. They aren't giving much info at the pier, but they say that it is something "cosmetic". Since my mom lives about 2 hrs from the pier, we were asked to return home and come back tomorrow morning. They are checking everyone in today so we can just board tomorrow with our boarding passes. Most people are leaving their luggage checked as well. Some people who travelled far from the pier are being kept up at a local motel. It is pretty crazy at the pier right now. They are trying to feed people and that is not working very well. We were told around 12 that food would be served, but it didn't arrive until around 1 and then not enough to feed everyone. More food arrived around 2. I will say that when I told one of the Celebrity reps that my mom was diabetic, she did make sure we got a sandwich for her. The reps were as accommodating as they could be under the circumstances, but it was not a nice place to be today.

They did indicate that we will all be reimbursed the price we paid for the cruise. Now you would think, if you weren't there, that that would have made everyone happy, but I can assure that we weren't. We just wanted to board the ship. The ship is supposed to sail tomorrow around 11 am which means we will miss one day in Bermuda.

What is really a shame is the day could have been perfectly wonderful. They had long stem roses for all the ladies today and they were serving chocolate covered strawberries while we were waiting to check in. Too bad things went down hill so fast. Supposedly the president of Celebrity was waiting to greet us as we boarded and they said he will be there tomorrow. I hope I am happier tomorrow.

Dreaming of: RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 11/1/14

Fond Memories of:
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 4/18/13
Celebrity Silhouette 3/17/12

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 3/21/11-Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 3/7/10-Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 3/15/09-Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 5/22/08-Caribbean
Azamara Journey 5/16/07-Bermuda
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 9/17/06-Bermuda
Celebrity Constellation 3/26/06-Caribbean
Celebrity Galaxy 9/17/04-Caribbean
Celebrity Zenith 6/14/03-Bermuda
Celebrity Galaxy 3/28/03-Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium 3/24/02-Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium 3/25/01-Caribbean
Celebrity Century 4/22/00-Caribbean
Celebrity Mercury 4/25/99-Caribbean
NCL Majesty 5/17/98-Bermuda
Majesty Cruise Lines Royal Majesty 9/15/96Bermuda
NCL Skyward 7/31/76-Caribbean

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Sorry for your troubles but are they refunding your entire cruise costs?

If you should get the chance to shake Hanrahans hand, please remember that he is the one who has eroded most of our benefits and give that hand a real 'special' shake. They give us nothing else since he came on board so I'll settle for a little 'skin'.

Hope things go better tomorrow!

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Jesus, Gail.....

Mary Jean, I can't imagine the kind of disappointment you experinced, must have been like a head on hit into a brick wall...but Thank You for relaying this to us with clarity and perspective. I sincerely hope tomorrow goes altoghetger better and Celebrity gets past their "issue". Let us know when you get back home how it all went and if you care to share what they did to accomodate this very unexpected event.

Bon Voyage....

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Azamara Inaugural Departure Cancelled/delayed

just informed by celebtity/azamara agent that todays scheduled sailing is now resched for tomorrow.
Explaination "intensive remodeling delay"
don't ask me what exactly that means

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by empress4bb View Post
just informed by celebtity/azamara agent that todays scheduled sailing is now resched for tomorrow.
Explaination "intensive remodeling delay"
don't ask me what exactly that means
oh wow... not good... alot of people are going to be upset..

AZAMARA-Journey 8/18/2007
CCL-Paradise 8/22/2004
CCL-Fascination 8/2002

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It sounds really weird to me! What were they thinking booking cruises with so much work remaining.

Anyway, I do think it is great they have refunded the cruise and are putting people up for the night!
I kind of wish that had happened to me!

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

If I was to speculate or a hazard a guess I might suggest that they did not pass Coast Guard Inspection and have some corrections to be made before passengers are allowed to board.

Being that this ship was never previously governed by the US Coast Guard rules and regulations it might not have all of the proper equipment that is required. Just a guess as it appears they were ready in every other manner to greet guests right down to the choclate covered strawberries - nice touch by the way.

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I also arrived at the pier to find that our cruise was delayed. No one is really giving any information. As MaryJean said, they said it was "cosmetic". Personally I think the ship did not pass inspection this morning. Everyone seemed to be herded like cows to sit, wait and eat. They made you check in so they could give you a boarding pass for tomorrow. They made sure to swipe my husband's credit card. We were told that in compensation for not departing today, they are refunding everyone's money. That means we all go on a cruise for free. OK, I can deal with losing a day to get all my money back. But they question is are we sure they will give us our money back? I didn't get anything in writing. Did anyone else? Husband is getting a little leery. He thinks tomorrow they will cancel the cruise completely. We hope not as we were booked for this cruise about 8 months ago. Also they are giving $100 shipboard credit to each passenger. I just hope tomorrow is a better day. Never sailed celebrity before, was looking very foward to this cruise,and my experience so far has not been good. Hope it gets better

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I really am incredulous. A division of a publicly traded company issues a written document to each passenger signed by the president of said division stating that the cruise will be complimentary and her husband is getting leery?

Now it is possible that they will cancel the cruise...but I don't think it is even remotely possible that they'll keep anyone's money!

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry to hear that but I'm not too surprised after seeing the pictures that Carolyn Brown recently posted

Let's hope they can keep it to one day

I wonder what's happening to the passengers. Are they aboard?

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
5,000+ Club

While inaugural sailings are exciting - this is the type of thing that can happen. I wonder who pays for the night in a hotel??

Carribbean
CCL Pride 2002 RCL AOS 2003 Golden Princess 2004
Enchantment OTS 2007 Costa Mediterrania 2008 Sovereign OTS 2008
Oceania 2010 Solstice 2010 CCL Triumph 2011 Allure of the Seas 2013

New England/Canada
Golden Princess 2005

Alaska
NCL Sun 2000, Diamond Princess 2009, Sapphire Princess 2012

Coastal
Sun Princess 2004 Sapphire Princess 2004
Coral Princess 2006

Europe
Voyager 2006,2008
Crown Princess 2011
Viking Odin 2013

Australia/NewZealand
Sapphire Princess 2007

Bermuda
Azamara Journey 2007

Panama Canal
Island Princess 2007

Antarctica
Silver Explorer 2012

TransAtlantic
Oceania Insignia 2012

Polynesia
Oceania Marina 2014

Upcoming
Oceania Nautica
Mediterranean May 2016

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tucker View Post
If I was to speculate or a hazard a guess I might suggest that they did not pass Coast Guard Inspection and have some corrections to be made before passengers are allowed to board.

Being that this ship was never previously governed by the US Coast Guard rules and regulations it might not have all of the proper equipment that is required. Just a guess as it appears they were ready in every other manner to greet guests right down to the choclate covered strawberries - nice touch by the way.
This was actually our guess too, but we were originally told something about a logistics problem, so it could also involve furniture or supplies not being delivered. I imagine, we will eventually hear the real deal.

Fond Memories of:

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Let me get this straight. They are going to refund your money and give you an OBC so that essentially THEY are paying YOU to cruise??? Wow. I only WISH I was having the same "troubles" that you are!

Celeste

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM
5,000+ Club

Am I understanding correctly? You will all cruise this week for free? If you only miss one day, that is an extremely generous remedy!

I'm glad to hear they took good care of your mom - but if I was sailing for free, I'd be a very happy camper today!

Carribbean
CCL Pride 2002 RCL AOS 2003 Golden Princess 2004
Enchantment OTS 2007 Costa Mediterrania 2008 Sovereign OTS 2008
Oceania 2010 Solstice 2010 CCL Triumph 2011 Allure of the Seas 2013

New England/Canada
Golden Princess 2005

Alaska
NCL Sun 2000, Diamond Princess 2009, Sapphire Princess 2012

Coastal
Sun Princess 2004 Sapphire Princess 2004
Coral Princess 2006

Europe
Voyager 2006,2008
Crown Princess 2011
Viking Odin 2013

Australia/NewZealand
Sapphire Princess 2007

Bermuda
Azamara Journey 2007

Panama Canal
Island Princess 2007

Antarctica
Silver Explorer 2012

TransAtlantic
Oceania Insignia 2012

Polynesia
Oceania Marina 2014

Upcoming
Oceania Nautica
Mediterranean May 2016

Old May 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Oh My Gosh!!! I can't believe it! I know Mary Jean and she is one of the most calm, cool people on this Earth and it takes a WHOLE lot to make her unhappy. Therefore, this must be a seriously upsetting situation.

It IS cool that the cost of the cruise will be refunded. That's not as bad (for Celebrity) as it sounds since a lot of these passengers booked at the Zenith rate and not the new elevated Journey rates. In any case, after the initial "hitting a brick wall" passes, the reality of a free cruise will probably help soothe the passengers.

I hope they give free internet minutes too so we can hear the latest on this.

How embarassing for Celebrity.

And Mary Jean....we're still kicking ourselves for not booking this cruise! We would love to be having dinner with you now and talking about the cruise that didn't sail. We could be having a great time anyhow! Tomorrow will be a better day.

Fond memories of: Carnival Pride 9/22/2013 * Celebrity Silhouette 3/29/2012 "The Silhouettics" * Carnival Glory 6/13/11 * RCCL Enchantment 03/21/2011...The Enchanted Stars Reunion Cruise!!! * RCCL Freedom 11/07/2010, * RCCL Explorer 3/07/10, * NCL Jewel 10/10/09, * RCCL Explorer 3/15/09, * RCCL Grandeur 9/13/08, * RCCL Explorer 3/16/08 "The Stars Continue to Shine", * RCCLSovereign 10/22/07, * RCCL Mariner 10/14/07 "The Majestic Mariners", * NCL Dawn 3/11/07, * RCCL Brilliance 12/1/06, * RCCL Explorer 9/17/06, *Celebrity Constellation 3/26/06 "The Stars of the Constellation", * RCCLMariner10/02/05, * NCL Dawn 3/20/05, *Celebrity Galaxy 9/17/04, * Disney Wonder 10/19/03

Last edited by dizliz; May 5th, 2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Old May 5th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

too soon to speculate- I don't know who to feel worse for- Celebrity or the passengers

Old May 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreammama View Post
I also arrived at the pier to find that our cruise was delayed. No one is really giving any information. As MaryJean said, they said it was "cosmetic". Personally I think the ship did not pass inspection this morning. Everyone seemed to be herded like cows to sit, wait and eat. They made you check in so they could give you a boarding pass for tomorrow. They made sure to swipe my husband's credit card. We were told that in compensation for not departing today, they are refunding everyone's money. That means we all go on a cruise for free. OK, I can deal with losing a day to get all my money back. But they question is are we sure they will give us our money back? I didn't get anything in writing. Did anyone else? Husband is getting a little leery. He thinks tomorrow they will cancel the cruise completely. We hope not as we were booked for this cruise about 8 months ago. Also they are giving $100 shipboard credit to each passenger. I just hope tomorrow is a better day. Never sailed celebrity before, was looking very foward to this cruise,and my experience so far has not been good. Hope it gets better
We actually did receive a letter signed by Dan Hanrahan that said in part "To ensure your cruise is a great experience and to apologize for the inconvenience we have caused, your cruise on Azamar Journey will be COMPLIMENTARY. Additionally, we are giving each guest a $100 Onboard credit to cover any expenses you incur tonight."

They were handing this letter to everyone at the port. I'm not sure how you missed receiving it because we had it offered to us several times.

Fond Memories of:

Old May 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Cosmetic?? Bunk. Since when did soft furnishings keep a ship from sailing.

I'd put my money on the USCG inspection, too.

Old May 5th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

I imagine it was something very much unforeseen or they would have notifed the passengers before at boarding time there was a problem.

Hardly a smooth debut.

Maybe the PFD's have not been updated with the current name of the actual ship.

Old May 5th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

have a wonderful time on your cruise. Sorry for the glitch in you cruise but once you getting rolling- I am sure it will be a lovely cruise.
It is a shame to get started on the wrong foot.

Inaugural cruises tend to be iffy. I was scheduled on one of the first cruises on the Crown Princes last summer and I cancelled due to less than stellar reviews and then the ship listed. That was the last straw.
I am told that many ships have to get their sea legs and that inaugural cruises tend to be the ones where they get rid of the glitches.
So be aware of this in the future.
To those sailing, I think Celebrity is a classy company and I think that they hope for repeat business and have put their best foot forward in light of the trying circumstances.
Celebrity got off to a later start than expected and this isn't a shocker that they weren't up and running on schedule.