Azamara Inaugural Departure Delayed

MaryJean56

I just talked to Mary Jean and they are onboard and all is well. She says the ship is BEAUTIFUL!!! Cherry wood everywhere. Very classic and very, very beautiful.

They have been told that the furniture was not onboard and they just couldn't finish up what needed to be done. She feels the furniture was probably at the port, but, not sure of that. They were told it was not a matter of Coast Gaurd inspection at all.

The president of the company was not there to shake hands...at least not when they boarded.

They will not be docking in St. Georges, but, Azamara will be running free shuttles from Hamilton to St. Georges.

Sounds as if the company is very proud of their new offering, and very much want their passengers to be happy.

Sounds like the ship is worth the wait.

WONDERFUL! I hope they have a great time! Let's see what the reviews bring us! BON VOYAGE!

Oh, so you are buying their story that it's the suppliers fault? Highly doubtful IMHO. Lets call it was it is. A big time screw up.

With the extensive changes and with everything that's on the line here - one would have thought that X/Az would have scheduled a 1 or 2 day shakedown cruise to make sure that everything is ready for prime-time...

:rolleyes:

Now two weeks prior to sailing, I learn that the ship will have no formal kids activities. Only in cabin babysitting on a first come basis -for a price,

Actually the "no kids program" has been known for quite some time, I'm surprised your travel agent didn't let you know. This was one of the things that was put out to travel agents in the information and training sessions for Journey and Quest.

Let's see.. you give up a couple of million dollars in revenue because a piece of furniture isn't there? Not very likely. It would have been cheaper to go buy whatever piece of furniture right off the floor at a furniture store regardless of the fact it didn't match.. and then sail on.

Now a piece of safety equipment...... that would be a different story.

It would have been much smarter to have the ship opened for tours.... a couple of cruises to nowhere before commencing her next scheduled sailing on May 12th. Liberty OTS is doing just that this week.

Ruthlessboss

I appreciate the kind words!

I have found these boards at times to be the best and worst of forums. When our family cruised with my son prior to his deployment to Iraq, the support from the CC community was overwhelming and appreciated. When we cruised to welcome him home in January, once again the words of gratitude were amazing.

Then at other times....well, enough said.

I know most of us on the board are only interested in getting and sharing information so everyone can have the best trip possible.

It's wonderful to hear that the ship was worth the wait! We are even more ecited about our October trip! Bon Voyage, Journey!!

I was there on Friday -- and took loads of pictures which we're hoping to launch on the site tomorrow -- and even though there seemed to be a lot of work needed (for instance, cabins weren't put together -- and this was less than 24 hours before sailing), there wasn't a murmur of panic or disquiet among ship and line executives.

At the same time -- I actually called Melissa from the airport (headed out just after to fly to Rome for Emerald Princess) and said -- heads up. Something's up. And so it, indeed, was.

But the suddenness (and the lack of preparation by Celebrity to handle it from a passenger point of view) of the decision leads me to think it is more than the scenario onboard. Cause they knew what that ship looked like that morning and they could have given themselves some time if they'd have made a decision by lunchtime to tell people the ship would have been delayed.

I think Mr. Tucker may be in the ballpark with his theory. The Coast Guard (and presumably CDC) were indeed onboard; they were conducting drills as I was departing. Stay tuned, we'll continue to cover this....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

If I was to speculate or a hazard a guess I might suggest that they did not pass Coast Guard Inspection and have some corrections to be made before passengers are allowed to board.

Being that this ship was never previously governed by the US Coast Guard rules and regulations it might not have all of the proper equipment that is required. Just a guess as it appears they were ready in every other manner to greet guests right down to the choclate covered strawberries - nice touch by the way.

As inconvenient and disappointing a 1 day delay must be, I would be happy to be among the disappointed. Once at sea a big "free cruise" smile would appear on my face for the duration of the entire cruise.

Look forward to hearing aboout the initial details on shipboard experience, food, service etc. I look forward to sailing on the Journey in Oct

jumponboard

Hi Liz,

Thanks for sharing this good news from Mary Jean. As our editor Carolyn posted previously, we'll continue to cover this story in our News so keep your eyes open for more information: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/index.cfm

Happy cruising to all,

Melissa

I just talked to Mary Jean and they are onboard and all is well. She says the ship is BEAUTIFUL!!! Cherry wood everywhere. Very classic and very, very beautiful.

They have been told that the furniture was not onboard and they just couldn't finish up what needed to be done. She feels the furniture was probably at the port, but, not sure of that. They were told it was not a matter of Coast Gaurd inspection at all.

The president of the company was not there to shake hands...at least not when they boarded.

They will not be docking in St. Georges, but, Azamara will be running free shuttles from Hamilton to St. Georges.

Sounds as if the company is very proud of their new offering, and very much want their passengers to be happy.

With the extensive changes and with everything that's on the line here - one would have thought that X/Az would have scheduled a 1 or 2 day shakedown cruise to make sure that everything is ready for prime-time...

We agree completely. Similar to what Royal is doing with Liberty of the Seas.

Hi Dizliz !

Thanks for the update. I truly hope all the Journey passengers and crew have a much better day today, and the Cruise will go on as planned.

Hi Brian !

I agree with your comments. To take it 1 step further, it would have been a better choice by Celebrity/Azamara to have at least a week of short cruises for TA's, and Celebrity's best customers (complimentary of course), to give the ship and crew a chance to get the bugs worked out.

Why is it so hard for Celebrity/Azamara to do some nice things for their best customers and TA's ? It would have made perfect sense, especially in a situation like this with a brand new class of ship, just coming out of a drydock, new branding etc..... IMHO, it would have been the perfect solution.

I'm sure all the Journey passengers onboard today are feeling a sigh of relief as there must have been some question in their minds whether the ship would sail today especially with such a generous "FREE CRUISE" offer. We are going on the 9/15 sailing and look forward to all their comments.

On Andy's previous post regarding maiden voyages and how it could be worse, it got me to thinking about the worse maiden voyage of all time - namely on the Titanic. So all those aboard Journey, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and know you have the money now to book another cruise as soon as you want. Bon Voyage!!

I feel for those that are stuck cruising on the Journey with children becaue they were transferred from another booking as they will indeed be bored on such a small ship with no kid activities. I would bring all their gadget toys for entertainment options. Happy Sailing!

We agree completely. Similar to what Royal is doing with Liberty of the Seas.

Considering how short the drydock time was for this ship, and how short the Bermuda season is to begin with, I don't think you can really compare Journey to the Liberty. Celebrity didn't have much wiggle room when it came to this ship.

And actually, whether sailing around a bunch of travel agents for free, or some passengers, it sounds like that's exactly what they're doing now anyway. They probably realize they had no "practice" round, so let the guests go for free, to compensate for any kinks still needed to be worked out the rest of the week. Win win situation for all.

Oh, and finally, to those who think this is not a good start for a new cruise line: in 1972 the first ship of a new cruise line ran aground on her maiden voyage and had to send all her passengers back home. That ship was Carnival's MARDI GRAS and 35 years later, her then-owners are the biggest and most successful cruise line in the world...

Doug --

Big differences...

If Mardi Gras had not sailed that very day - when the ship wasn't even completely ready - they may have never sailed because Ted Arison's company was so incredibly strapped for cash.

On the other hand, RCCL is a multi-billion dollar, publicly traded company with dozens of years of experience in this industry.* X/Az could have afforded to delay the cruise and wait a week to sail.

Point is, they should have known better.

In a way I feel sorry for the parents of children on board and in a way I don't. Most kids nowadays can't entertain themselves, the ideas must be provided and then they join in. Parents now depend heavily on provided activities and free themselves up. Hey, send them to a daycare center at home that does this, and parents sail freely and get to know each other again.

In a way I feel sorry for the parents of children on board and in a way I don't. Most kids nowadays can't entertain themselves, the ideas must be provided and then they join in. Parents now depend heavily on provided activities and free themselves up. Hey, send them to a daycare center at home that does this, and parents sail freely and get to know each other again.

I agree with you but these cruises are an exception. Many people booked the Zenith for the Bermuda season with the understanding there were children's programs and a dedicated childrens area. Bookings were then changed to the Journey and decision made not to have the programs. Not a very good way to run a business....

Like you guys booked on this or the near-future Azamara cruises need a comment from one not so booked....:rolleyes:

The delay and inconvenience: Well compensated for by Azamara. Good job, I say.

The smoking policy: As I posted in another thread, that would be a major issue for me and DW, as smoking in our stateroom would be a must. Now that the policies are published for all - fair warning and caviat emptor.

About the child-friendly issue: Agreed with above posters who said that the travel agents knew, or should have known. Nonetheless, that will be a problem for those of you on this cruise who were not informed, and I feel for you.

Otherwise, please keep us up to date on this new vessell!:D

Did she sail yet????????:confused:

Sailed today just after 11AM today (SUnday). So if you are a passenger you might have been very worried yesterday but today you are on a six day free cruise with an additional $100 credit. I would have quite the big smile on my face and would be parked on the future cruise desk!

Glad to hear she sailed -- can't wait to hear reports, I'm guessing we'll get some once she gets to Bermuda.

My Mom & Dad will be on the May 19th sailing, so we're all very curious.

Sailed today just after 11AM today (SUnday). So if you are a passenger you might have been very worried yesterday but today you are on a six day free cruise with an additional $100 credit. I would have quite the big smile on my face and would be parked on the future cruise desk!

Oh that is GREAT!!! Glad she got out early. :D

Glad to hear she sailed -- can't wait to hear reports, I'm guessing we'll get some once she gets to Bermuda.

My Mom & Dad will be on the May 19th sailing, so we're all very curious.

Can't wait to hear either,going on the 26th. Saw a picture of the ship on Celebrity's web site but it looks nothing like the ship picture that was posted by someone on this site. Hope someone post some pictures of the inside of the ship

Archived