Azamara Inaugural Departure Delayed

MaryJean56

For those cruising Bermuda with kids. Check out the faq section of azmaracruises.com. It says there will be some activities for the kids during their Bermuda runs.

"There isn’t a formal children’s program on these ships. Families who bring children can schedule in-stateroom babysitting for $8.00 an hour. Families staying in suites can borrow movies from the ship’s DVD library. LeapFrog SchoolHouse products will be available for rent. On port days, shore excursions deemed “easy” may be ideal for families with children. Limited youth staff (only on peak-season Bermuda sailings) will be assisting with activities such as games, talent shows and facepainting. Additionally, we will be offering rentals of LeapPads, Leapsters and Sony PSP (Portable PlayStation) units, as well as treasure chests full of toys for toddlers to borrow. In-stateroom baby-sitting will still be available in the evening, first come-first served, based on availability of staff, never guaranteed."

Sailed today just after 11AM today (SUnday). So if you are a passenger you might have been very worried yesterday but today you are on a six day free cruise with an additional $100 credit. I would have quite the big smile on my face and would be parked on the future cruise desk!

I don't think the Journey had smooth sailing leaving New York today as there were 20 to 30 knot winds at the time she sailed. Interested in hearing how the ship handled these conditions.

Interested in hearing how the ship handled these conditions.

On R-class ships, you do feel motion. I sailed on Tahitian Pricess and despite the ocean not even being that rough, the ship was rocking. Fortunately I don't get sea sick. By the way, Millennium's Captain, Zisis Taramas, told us once that wave height is just 50% of the equation. The spread of the waves is just as important. How farther they are apart, how much more rocking.

I don't understand the debate about kids. Is it really so difficult for modern parents to entertain their kids? This cruise has only 2 sea days! When I was young, there were no kids programs, no TVs, no handheld computer games, no Internet, etc. Yet we always managed to have great vacations, spending quality time with family instead of being dumped all day in some kid's club. Take a Board game, take some books, and enjoy your kids... Before you know it, you'll be back home, at work, with the kids in daycare I guess...

Best Regards,

Floris

I think some of you are being really harsh on parents with children. We do not take our son on cruises to "dump" him in the children's program all day. We use the kid's club sometimes and other times not. Why should a 6 year old be forced to sit somewhere quietly while he could be enjoying himself doing crafts, playing games or participating in a treasure hunt??

Those of you who accuse us of dumping our kids all day/night with the kids club also are the ones complaining if we bring our children into the dining room for dinner with us. Perhaps you feel that children should just not exist at all...or at least on a Celebrity/Azamara ship. Or anywhere in your sphere of existence.

Some parents are forced to work...not all of us are independently wealthy and can cruise all year round. If my child is/was in daycare it was not by choice but by necessity. And if I choose to vacation once a year with him on a cruise ship that offers a kids club that does not mean I dump in there for the duration while I hang out in the Martini Bar. We use the kids club services judiciously and this way we all enjoy our vacation. This is what attracts us to cruising. There is something for everyone. And we never leave our son on board during port days. He is always with us.

Honestly, I'm really beginning to think that future cruises on Celebrity would be a big mistake if their ships are filled with people who exhibit the same attitudes I've seen posting on these boards. I had no idea that cruising with my well-behaved, well-traveled, intelligent well spoken child was making so many X cruisers so unhappy.

And I'm very thankful we decided not to book Zenith this summer or we would have ended up on Journey.

I think a free cruise and $100 OBC is pretty nice to compensate for only 1 day lost.:p

I have to agree that was extremely good compensation for 1 lost day. We missed a port and got no compensation at all just a different port. I think that Azamara has the right idea make a big splash out of a potential disaster. Looking forward to hearing the reviews on this one......:D

I think some of you are being really harsh on parents with children. We do not take our son on cruises to "dump" him in the children's program all day. We use the kid's club sometimes and other times not. Why should a 6 year old be forced to sit somewhere quietly while he could be enjoying himself doing crafts, playing games or participating in a treasure hunt??

Those of you who accuse us of dumping our kids all day/night with the kids club also are the ones complaining if we bring our children into the dining room for dinner with us. Perhaps you feel that children should just not exist at all...or at least on a Celebrity/Azamara ship. Or anywhere in your sphere of existence.

Some parents are forced to work...not all of us are independently wealthy and can cruise all year round. If my child is/was in daycare it was not by choice but by necessity. And if I choose to vacation once a year with him on a cruise ship that offers a kids club that does not mean I dump in there for the duration while I hang out in the Martini Bar. We use the kids club services judiciously and this way we all enjoy our vacation. This is what attracts us to cruising. There is something for everyone. And we never leave our son on board during port days. He is always with us.

Honestly, I'm really beginning to think that future cruises on Celebrity would be a big mistake if their ships are filled with people who exhibit the same attitudes I've seen posting on these boards. I had no idea that cruising with my well-behaved, well-traveled, intelligent well spoken child was making so many X cruisers so unhappy.

And I'm very thankful we decided not to book Zenith this summer or we would have ended up on Journey.

Don't jump to the conclusion that all Celebrity passengers have negative attitudes towards families and children because of a few posters. I appreciate the diversity of all passengers and look forward to meeting new people on every trip.

There are bound to be others on the trip that may not always be well-behaved - but it can just as easily be other adults as children based on my observations. I certainly could have done without the older gentleman that practically knocked others down to be 1st in line everywhere we saw him on the ship and off. Or the kids running on the pool deck and jumping over lounge chairs even if someone was sitting in it.

But in the end, I am on vacation to enjoy myself and try not to sweat the small stuff.

Choose the next cruise based on whatt is right for your entire family and I hope you will consider Celebrity as one of the options.

Carol

Brooklyn Girl, I understand why you would get those feelings reading some of the posts over here but I can honestly say on every Celebrity cruise we have been on, the American children were exceptionally behaved, in fact we have commented on how well behaved & how cute they are when dressed up!

In MY PERSONAL experience, the only mis-behaved children I ever encountered on a Celebrity cruise, were European and believe it or not, it was this past March and the parents were even WORSE!!!! :mad: Sorry--I do not mean to make a broad statement that ALL Eurpoean kids are bad, just these 5 or 6 on a cruise that I was on!

We are empty nesters so we DO try to choose cruises that are longer, during school, NOT their holidays and choose ships that don't cater to children ie: Disney or Carnival! That being said, children are a part of the world, they DO exist and they DO have the right to cruise! I just wish more parents realized they also need to be supervised & well behaved!:D My grandchildren cruise and I have to say--my DD & DIL REALLY make them behave! I know we, as well as other pax appreciate that!:p

Oh My Gosh!!! I can't believe it! I know Mary Jean and she is one of the most calm, cool people on this Earth and it takes a WHOLE lot to make her unhappy. Therefore, this must be a seriously upsetting situation.

:)

I wonder if it's something to do with MaryJean;)

Remember her CC balcony on the Constellation? It was only good for one person at a time.

Mary Jean, we were really looking forward to sailing with you again, one of these days, but now I'm not so sure.:D :D

I haven't finished reading this thread, hope you are in Bermuda by now.

In MY PERSONAL experience, the only mis-behaved children I ever encountered on a Celebrity cruise, were European and believe it or not, it was this past March and the parents were even WORSE!!!! :mad: Sorry--I do not mean to make a broad statement that ALL Eurpoean kids are bad, just these 5 or 6 on a cruise that I was on!

Interesting--

My personal experience was just the opposite on MSC.

On that ship, the European children were exceptionally well behaved - probably because they always had parents in close proximity...

(and no "Kids" program, per-se: The children participated in samba-line dancing, Italian language lessons and deck/pool games right along with everyone else.)

I have cruised all the lines with my kids and Celebrity is my favorite. Don't be discouraged by some of the posters here. Celebrity does a great job keeping the kids interested in the organized activities and they don't pose a problem to the other passengers. It is a win-win situation. I meet other parents right away when cruising. They automatically pair you with other families with kids when you travel with a child. Plus, I meet the parents at the kids club and through my son. So I have an instant group of like minded, same aged friends on board. I love Celebrity. I have never been given dirty looks on Celebrity by the passengers.

By the way, my son was 4 when we sailed on the Millenium TA 14 night cruise from Ft. Lauderdale- Barcelona. Early on in the cruise my son was called up on stage to be the magicians helper. For the rest of the cruise my son Marc was famous. Every where we went passengers yelled "Hey, Marc". So even though there were only 30 kids on board- the passengers loved having a cute 4 year old around. In fact, the grandparents on board just adored my little boy. I had a wonderful experience. When we got to Barcelona, people were still spotting Marc on the street. It was so nice to have total strangers from the ship- call out to my little boy.

That cruise I traveled solo with my son and met so many nice people. It was truly life altering for me.

And the crew LOVES kids on Celebrity. Everywhere you go they extend a hand- a high five or some nice comment. They teach the kids magic tricks in the diningroom. Make flowers out of napkins to entertain them, etc. etc.

All cruise lines cater to kids but Celebrity seems to be the best- maybe because there are fewer of them.

I am surprised we haven't heard from anyone on the Journey yet. Makes me wonder if the internet cafe is working or not?

sue - 9/1/07 sailing

One of the CC members EPH stated he would post on the cc board from port as the prices for internet on the ship were high (I'm sure they can afford it now with a free cruise and all) maybe you are right... but i'm sure we'll hear from EPH by tomorrow or Wednesday... :D

I am surprised we haven't heard from anyone on the Journey yet. Makes me wonder if the internet cafe is working or not?

sue - 9/1/07 sailing

I wondered the same thing as you. If the internet was working, I can't imagine that someone won't at least drop by and say HI

my husband and I are cruising on 6/16/07 and feel the same as you. Free cruise for missing one day...not a bad deal. We only live 15 minutes from the pier so even better yet!!

I was there on that one....I beleived them to be South American.

Hello Lynn.....who knows who's who after a while...the crying and whining all sounds the same...:D

Thanks Cheryl,

They were the worst!!!! I have never seen such bad children!:mad:

sue - 9/1/07 sailing

I've been looking for the same thing,we are sailing on 5/26. Hope to see some pictures and hear some reviews.

You're right, EPH came through.

EPH has a posting in the "Post Journey Answers" here thread.

nlvc12

The last post on that thread from EPH was a 1/2 hour before she left for the ship. There are still no live from the ship posts that I have found.

sue

I suspect that today is the day we'll get some feedback. We, too, are on the May 26th sailing. Folks will have the opportunity to get to an Internet cafe (and, presumably, recover from the rough seas they experienced out of NJ :)). Since they've been onboard for two dinners, we should be able to get some first hand info about dining as well. Will keep watch today!

Archived