Azamara Inaugural Departure Delayed

MaryJean56

My mom and I were also among those waiting to board the Journey today. I can understand how it was frustrating - I'm sure it was for Azamara too - but I have to say they handled it extremely well.

We got the word almost as soon as we waiting in the lounge to register. They handed out letters explaining the situation, and the letter indicated that we'd get $100 for our overnight expenses as well as the complimentary Journey cruise. I thought having it in writing to all passengers was an effective way to stem any rumors. I hear that we are still waiting on some furniture and equipment from Arkansas.

All the people were friendly, and that made the situation bearable. It is very frustrating about the hotel situation - we had to return back to my mom's place in Somerset; thank goodness my sister was tipped off and hung out at the port for 2 hours - but I can understand that there wasn't a block of 350 rooms just waiting around to be filled.

So, we spent a fun afternoon with perfect weather in Hoboken and are ready to try it all out again tomorrow. I think Azamara is going to work extra hard to make this a memorable cruise for everyone, and if that's the case I can hold out another day...happy camper indeed!

Sorry you could not go today, but glad to hear you are happy! Now, you get to go for free! Awesome! Do you still have the list of questions with you? ;)

I admire your calm demeanor in the face of such a huge disappointment. Granted: 1) first cruises are the time for shaking out those early glitches, and 2) after all, Celebrity is Celebrity, and 3) the line seems to be doing as much of the "right thing" possible for those who thought they would be sailing today. But for everyone who was already a little unsettled by the incredibly odd, last minute "Azamara" revelation, (and, ahem, had also just paid the balance on their upcoming cruise..), this latest development poses a big questionmark. icon5.gif It's certainly a marketing nightmare. Hopefully the line will pick up the pieces in true Celebrity style.icon6.gif

All the best on tomorrow's sailing.

Sign us: Sigh. Kind of liked "Celebrity" Journey...

The snarky side of me wonders if the "cosmetic" thing is having to paint "Azamara" on the hull :)

(I'm guessing Coast Guard Inspection details....)

The snarky side of me wonders if the "cosmetic" thing is having to paint "Azamara" on the hull :)

(I'm guessing Coast Guard Inspection details....)

We saw the ship yesterday and it looked ready to go from the outside. Freshly painted also.

Hi Everyone !

I have been out of touch all afternoon, and I am just reading the news. While I am surprised, I am happy to hear that those of you affected are getting a free cruise, and a fair onboard credit. IMHO, the compensation for 1 day missed is very generous.

I am sure this is not what Celebrity/Azamara management had hoped for today. As we all know.... sometimes, things go wrong. On the bright side, Azamara did the right thing by giving you the cruise for free, and the onboard credit is a plus too !

For those of you on this sailing, I hope all goes well tomorrow, and Bon Voyage !

Amazara = Mistake. Celebrity has bitten off more than they can chew and are going to choke on this whole experiment, IMO. See the Boards regarding their new, unannounced No Smoking Policy and what others are saying who were booked long ago. Clearly, they do not have a clue as to how to run an upscale cruise line.

I disagree. Mistakes happen, suppliers don't deliver as promised. I think Azamara knows what they are doing and are not missing their target - their policies are in line with other luxury cruise lines - Oceania, etc. There are alot more nonsmokers these days than smokers. If smokers choose to avoid these ships, there will be plenty of nonsmokers to take their place. Happy Sailing!

I disagree. Mistakes happen, suppliers don't deliver as promised. I think Azamara knows what they are doing and are not missing their target - their policies are in line with other luxury cruise lines - Oceania, etc. There are alot more nonsmokers these days than smokers. If smokers choose to avoid these ships, there will be plenty of nonsmokers to take their place. Happy Sailing!

Oh, so you are buying their story that it's the suppliers fault? Highly doubtful IMHO. Lets call it was it is. A big time screw up.

No doubt there must have been a major mistake somewhere, but I guess they are now doing as much as they can to make things OK for most people. I'm not saying I am happy, but after the "screwup" happened, I'm not sure they could have done much more. We just weren't happy to be turned away and still aren't. A nice cruise starting tomorrow is what I really need now.:D

Thanks to all of the cruisecritics who were kind enough to listen to me vent today. It really was therapeutic.

It sounds really weird to me! What were they thinking booking cruises with so much work remaining.

Anyway, I do think it is great they have refunded the cruise and are putting people up for the night!

I kind of wish that had happened to me!:)

Hi Rebecca !

I agree about your comments re: missing deadlines. The amazing this is, we have seen MANY ships have drydocks, and have missed their deadlines. I suppose the game plan is to make the schedule as tight as possible, and compenstate if & when they miss the deadline. If you think about it, these drydocks encompass thousands of items, and I often wonder how they can schedule it to begin with. Clearly, its not an easy task.

I am happy that Azamara did the right thing, and generously compensated the passengers for their problems today. I hope they have a much better day tomorrow

No doubt there must have been a major mistake somewhere, but I guess they are now doing as much as they can to make things OK for most people. I'm not saying I am happy, but after the "screwup" happened, I'm not sure they could have done much more. We just weren't happy to be turned away and still aren't. A nice cruise starting tomorrow is what I really need now.:D

Thanks to all of the cruisecritics who were kind enough to listen to me vent today. It really was therapeutic.

Hi MaryJean !

I am sorry to hear of your problems today. Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope you (and all of the Journey passengers) have a perfect day tomorrow. Enjoy your Cruise, and Bon Voyage !

:mad: Certainly, this situation was not a mistake at all, but a result of greed and urealistic expectations. I strongly believe that the executives at Celebrity/Azamara were well aware of the extremely tight schedule a four week drydock would create. Nonetheless, they scheduled the maiden voyage with known unrealistic goals in the hope that just maybe they could pull it off. Don't forget that most of the revenue on a cruise is made from on board purchases such as alcohol and gambling. It was still cheaper for the line to refund everybody's cruise and delay the departure by one day as they will still enjoy 6 days of onboard revenue.

The whole way in which Celebrity/Azamara released their product was a big flop in my opinion. Waiting until the day before the maiden voyage seems sexy and surprising, but was bound to be full of problems. People don't really like these types of surprises and would have preferred that Celebrity/Azamara announced these plans months ago. In fact, they may have been more succesful from a marketing campaign as there would have been that many more months of anticipation.

All this being said, it does look like a wonderful product and I am quite excited about my May 26th sailing. I just hope they get their act together before then.

Since reading about the name change yesterday - I have just had one eye opener after another with this cruise line. A failed inaugural sailing is not a good way to start. Refunding the purchase price for the cruise is a nice touch - even though it wasn't even for this ship. I guess we will just have to wait and see what they do or don't do next.:confused: My sympathy to those who thought they would be sailing tonight.

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum but not cruising. Thsi is our 5th on Celebrity, one time on Zenith. We sail Journey on he 19th of this month. As far as unforseen problems being the issue - I think not - more like a blind eye. We, a group of 15, have been begging for information since we accidently found out about the change from Zenith - we booked in May last year. I was never asked if I wanted to go with this ship. Each time I made my concerns known I was told not to worry - the Journey would have everything that the Zenith had - including a kids program. Now two weeks prior to sailing, I learn that the ship will have no formal kids activities. Only in cabin babysitting on a first come basis -for a price, dvds for rent - only available for those in suites. I realize that this is not an issue if you are not sailing with children, but imagine trying to entertain a 5yr and 13yr old for a week on board a ship with nothing geared for them! This is their vacation too!! My kids do not care about buttlers and speciality restaurants !! Unhappy kids = unhappy adults! Celebrity has not been very forthcoming about anything. I feel like a rat science experiment gone wrong. I understand how those at the port feel about the situation, a refund cannot totally make up for the aggrivation they are experiencing. This should be a pleasant thing. I planned for this expense but I want what I was promised. That is all that is acceptable. I wonder what other surprises are in store on this mystery cruise? I am not smiling

this happened on 6/16/07! we live one hour from the pier and we've been booked for the 6/16/07 Journey cruise for almost one year! (NO ONE has responded to my 6/16/07 roll call - I think me and my hubby are going to be the only ones onboard!!) If what happened to the passengers happens to me, we would have come back home with a full credit, a free cruise, plus $100 OBC - I would be doing the happy dance! Oh well, I hope things work out OK for everyone who was supposed to be onboard tonight! Have a safe journey on the "Journey" and have a wonderful time!

:)

I hope everyone has a better day tomorrow. When you set sail in the morning just remember this vacations not costing you a thing! Whats better then that. I would take the money and book my next cruise ASAP!

Good Luck!

I think they're handling the delay admirally--a free cruise and on-board credit for a one day delay. I'm another cruiser who wishes I was on that cruise.

I'll going to have a hard time waiting for my Quest cruise in April.:D I'm really excited that I have a cruise booked with them them and feel like I'm on the ground floor of a brand new experience. It's going to be fun watching this new cruise line develop and (I bet) read the glowing reviews of the passengers who sail with the fleet.

Garry

gabeedee it sounds like you are in a similar situation as we are. We will be sailing in July...3 families with 7 children between the ages of 10-16. We booked Zenith last July then found out in the late Fall we will be sailing Journey. We considered switching to NCL last Fall but decided not to because Celebrity reps. told us we would have the same experience as on the Zenith. We have kept the children in the loop with all the changes that have been occuring with our vacation and I have to say they have been very mature about it and they told us don't worry we'll bring games and make our own fun.

After spending many hours reading the posts on this board I just hope the people who are anti-children keep in mind that those of us sailing on this cruise with children are there because we were told it was a kid friendly cruise.

Looking forward to hearing from other families who will be sailing Journey this summer.

Gabeedee I see you will be sailing in May so you'll have to let us know how it goes with the kids.

Forgive me for saying this, but it seems as though some of you see this as some sort of tragedy/conspiracy - in the great scheme of things, this is a "blip".

Azamara has done all it can reasonably do to make up for a one day delay. They will be off and having a great time tomorrow.

I also admit that I'm delighted with the no smoking policy. You don't have to think back too far to remember the terrible experience of the Star Princess. I'm sure most smokers would admit that quitting smoking is in their best interest. I wish there was some successful way to make it easier for them to do so. But I really want to avoid any contact with second hand smoke as well.

Had I planned to take my grandson on this cruise - I would be disappointed that there would be no childrens' activities since he really enjoys them. I would probably contact Celebrity about a change of ships and try the Journey at another time.

Hope everyone has a great time - please post photos!!

Maureen

:mad: Certainly, this situation was not a mistake at all, but a result of greed and urealistic expectations. I strongly believe that the executives at Celebrity/Azamara were well aware of the extremely tight schedule a four week drydock would create. Nonetheless, they scheduled the maiden voyage with known unrealistic goals in the hope that just maybe they could pull it off. Don't forget that most of the revenue on a cruise is made from on board purchases such as alcohol and gambling. It was still cheaper for the line to refund everybody's cruise and delay the departure by one day as they will still enjoy 6 days of onboard revenue.

The whole way in which Celebrity/Azamara released their product was a big flop in my opinion. Waiting until the day before the maiden voyage seems sexy and surprising, but was bound to be full of problems. People don't really like these types of surprises and would have preferred that Celebrity/Azamara announced these plans months ago. In fact, they may have been more succesful from a marketing campaign as there would have been that many more months of anticipation.

All this being said, it does look like a wonderful product and I am quite excited about my May 26th sailing. I just hope they get their act together before then.

I agree 100% with this comment. I have to admit I'm stunned they would offer the cruise free of charge. Somethings not right with this picture.

OK, a few thoughts here.

My first reaction is that something pretty significant has to be wrong for them to actually postpone the cruise. After all, if you look at e.g. the "new" CENTURY or, a couple of years back, the refurbished MONARCH OF THE SEAS, they were far from ready cosmetically but that didn't stop RCI/Celebrity from sending them off on cruises on schedule. It's almost standard practice in the cruise industry for ships to have little (and sometimes even not so little) "glitches" on the first cruise or two after a major refit. I wish it weren't so, but that's how things work, and have worked for as long as I can remember. It takes a lot for a cruise line to actually change the ship's schedule. You know, no hot water, or no air conditioning, or something like that!

That said, I'm not quite ready to cast my vote for the failed USCG inspection theory. If that is the case, then RCI just made a huge mistake by not coming out and admitting it up front. USCG inspection results are public. If the ship in fact failed an inspection, there would be no point in saying it was something "cosmetic" since people would quickly find out that it wasn't, and would see that cruise line basically lied about it, which would look very bad. These people aren't idiots. I can't imagine they'd make a fundamental mistake like that.

But if they are shortening the cruise by a day, it would seem to me that something pretty big is probably wrong. But if something big is wrong, who's to say they can fix it in a day?

Needless to say, I'm of mixed minds about this. But there has got to be more to this than, a minor cosmetic issue. There are a million things it could be - no hot water, no air conditioning, no working galley equipment... You get the idea!

Now, all that said, kudos to Celebrity (I mean, Azamara) for offering a full refund to everyone affected. This is pretty much unprecedented for such a relatively minor itinerary change. But of course, all eyes are on this since it is after all the first cruise of a supposedly brand new cruise line. You know what they say about first impressions! So they really need to be on their best behavior at the moment, because if people were dissatisfied with compensation in this particular case, you could kiss the whole Azamara thing goodbye.

Whatever is wrong, I'm sure there are a lot of Celebrity/Azamara people who won't be sleeping very soundly tonight! I wish everyone who is scheduled to sail aboard AZAMARA JOURNEY tomorrow very good luck and I hope you all have a wonderful cruise. I can't wait to hear all the details.

Oh, and finally, to those who think this is not a good start for a new cruise line: in 1972 the first ship of a new cruise line ran aground on her maiden voyage and had to send all her passengers back home. That ship was Carnival's MARDI GRAS and 35 years later, her then-owners are the biggest and most successful cruise line in the world...

To our friends on the May 5th sailing: I am very sorry for your disappointment. But, frankly, I am a little envious at your financial windfall. I would trade the inconvenience for $5000 in free crusie in a heartbeat.

To those who feel Celebrity knew all along this would happen, I say "get real!" No company would act cavalierly for the send off of a new cruise ship. If they knew Friday or thursday, they would have said something then.

Coast Guard inspection or some other third party situation sounds likely to me. Hey, since it is in Bayonne, it could be they forgot to pay off the right people.

Mayjean and Icecreammama and the rest - Make lemons out of lemonade!!! - and the money you save will pay for a lot of lemons!

Forgive me for saying this, but it seems as though some of you see this as some sort of tragedy/conspiracy - in the great scheme of things, this is a "blip".

Azamara has done all it can reasonably do to make up for a one day delay. They will be off and having a great time tomorrow.

I also admit that I'm delighted with the no smoking policy. You don't have to think back too far to remember the terrible experience of the Star Princess. I'm sure most smokers would admit that quitting smoking is in their best interest. I wish there was some successful way to make it easier for them to do so. But I really want to avoid any contact with second hand smoke as well.

Had I planned to take my grandson on this cruise - I would be disappointed that there would be no childrens' activities since he really enjoys them. I would probably contact Celebrity about a change of ships and try the Journey at another time.

Hope everyone has a great time - please post photos!!

Maureen

This is a most nicely worded post I've seen! It covers several aspects, including the smoking issue, the point was made but not in a manner to get us smokers all fired up! Thanks for expressing your opinion so nicely.:)

I just talked to Mary Jean and they are onboard and all is well. She says the ship is BEAUTIFUL!!! Cherry wood everywhere. Very classic and very, very beautiful.

They have been told that the furniture was not onboard and they just couldn't finish up what needed to be done. She feels the furniture was probably at the port, but, not sure of that. They were told it was not a matter of Coast Gaurd inspection at all.

The president of the company was not there to shake hands...at least not when they boarded.

They will not be docking in St. Georges, but, Azamara will be running free shuttles from Hamilton to St. Georges.

Sounds as if the company is very proud of their new offering, and very much want their passengers to be happy.

Sounds like the ship is worth the wait.

Archived