Gem Transatlantic

janiek

Come join us. We've got a roll call started with all kinds of activities planned (bowling, dinners, pre-cruise).

I figure lightning can't strike twice. Went through 2 hurricanes on the Pearl last year Southampton to Miami. Call me crazy, but I'll be on the Gem this year.

Here's a link to the review and some pictures of the Pearl (the Gem will be similar):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=454592&highlight=atlantic

The same great management team will be taking out the new Gem.:)

Ah, it's nice to see the downer voice of Don Haynes corrected by someone who has actually experienced a transatlantic.

We'll be on the TA, too and I'd set store by reality rather than speculation by folks that haven't done the trip.

Ah, it's nice to see the downer voice of Don Haynes corrected by someone who has actually experienced a transatlantic.

We'll be on the TA, too and I'd set store by reality rather than speculation by folks that haven't done the trip.

Did you read the link?

By now you’ve all probably read about our adventures through Hurricane Olda with a top gust of 148 knots (I think that’s somewhere around 175-180mph, I don’t dare look it up!) As the Captain explained we had 4 solid hours of around 107 knots and I do believe it when our valiant Captain said he didn’t get off the bridge for 3 days.

The sun peeked out at us one day with outside decks finally open, but it was to be a short-lived romance with the sun. We encountered yet another storm system and basically got used to activities having to be cancelled as we found a bit of levity in trivia 3x a day! Life could be worse than sitting in the beautiful Crystal Atrium, decorated in all its holiday splendor, listening to the soulful ballads of Trio Los Amigos from 11 am – 1 pm everyday trying to forget about sensitive stomachs.

Yet through it all, with sounds of crashing crockery and flyaway glassware, I never felt unsafe or afraid. I truly believe that Captain Trond Kildal’s handling of our situation was super. He kept us informed right from the start, telling us about possible 10-15 meter seas shortly after we left Southampton. From what I could sense with passengers, we had both trust in and a growing respect for our fearless leader who was always the picture of calm over the PA system. Perhaps for that reason, guests went with the flow, even those who spent the better part of 3 days in their cabins trying to gain their sea legs. It was rapidly apparent that a good number of crew were also down for the count for the worst part of it.

If the example last year represents what will happen this year, they are in for a rough cruise.

Did you read the link?

If the example last year represents what will happen this year, they are in for a rough cruise.

Another know-it-all heard from!

Yes, I read the link, and who is to say it represents this year's voyage. If you haven't done it, don't pretend to be an authority.

There have been many TA's without hurricanes.

Another know-it-all heard from!

Yes, I read the link, and who is to say it represents this year's voyage. If you haven't done it, don't pretend to be an authority.

There have been many TA's without hurricanes.

True, but not many in December without at least one storm.

True, but not many in December without at least one storm.

Keep in mind this cruise is NOT doing a North Atlantic crossing. No real difference then sailing out of NYC in December. I would be more concerned about the seas on this route during hurricane season in Sept., Oct., and early Nov.

Keep in mind this cruise is NOT doing a North Atlantic crossing. No real difference then sailing out of NYC in December. I would be more concerned about the seas on this route during hurricane season in Sept., Oct., and early Nov.

True, it will not be a North Atlantic crossing, but the cruise will still end in Boston, not Miami.

The excerpt posted is from my review. I don't expect the same rip roaring winds and storms or I wouldn't book it again, especially travelling alone.

However, I am going to be mentally prepared for some kind of rough weather at some point during the trip. Hopefully it won't anywhere near approximate last year.

But as I also stated, I never felt afraid or unsafe. The staff and crew did a great job, even when a goodly number of crew were also down for the count.

It was not a "disaster" or "nightmare" cruise but it was one we will all surely remember!:D:eek::D

The excerpt posted is from my review. I don't expect the same rip roaring winds and storms or I wouldn't book it again' date=' especially travelling alone.

However, I am going to be mentally prepared for some kind of rough weather at some point during the trip. Hopefully it won't anywhere near approximate last year.

But as I also stated, I never felt afraid or unsafe. The staff and crew did a great job, even when a goodly number of crew were also down for the count.

It was not a "disaster" or "nightmare" cruise but it was one we will all surely remember!:D:eek::D[/quote']

I doubt you'll run into two storms again this December, but last year it was rough enough to put down a "goodly" number of the crew. That's rough!

The OP asked will the seas be rough? The answer is, it could be. The answer is always it could be. No day during the year is immune from rough seas.

Modern cruise ships, and the Gem will be brand new at this point, have stabilizers to reduce port and starboard rocking motion. But the stablizers have very little effect on fore and aft motion.

Can anyone give me advice on traveling the Atlantic in December. I have not booked yet, but the price is tempting,

That will be a southern crossing therefore I doubt you'll experience rough seas. Now if it was a northern crossing that would be another story. If I didn't have another cruise booked this December I would book that Gem crossing myself. I say go for it.

We booked today on the GEM for May 4, 2008 on the Europe trip from Barcelona. It is the first time on the NCL. We are really happy.

Jack & Geri

Carnival Valor 2006 (wonderful cruise and gorgeous ship) :cool:

Regent Cruise Line - 5 Carribean Cruises (many moons ago) :D

p.s.

It's our 50th Anniversary!!! Whew!

Guest Anorak33

We did Pearl T/A last year and enjoyed it, it was not anything like as bad as some people make out. The worst thing for me was that the jacuzzis were shut for several days due to the high winds on deck.

We never felt in the least queasy,never had to grab a handrail,I have seen more passengers chucking up on a ferryboat between Dover and Calais than on Pearl.

Some of the crew queasy - quite possibly but you have to remember many of them were new to working on a ship.

Would I do it again? Sure I would, in fact I have booked Gem T/A this year. And an aft penthouse just to maximise the motion!

The harbingers of doom are posting it was bad but they're not correct, most of them weren't even on it.

Read Shorreguy's posts with the Pearl last year on her trans Atlantic. On my first post I recommended briinging sea sickness pills and I stated it will be rough. Why is everyone picking on me for stating what I believe will occur? The OP had concerns, and I would to.

Being a retired Coast Guarder I will say its possible there won't be a storm, but its probable there will be a storm.

The good think is we will be going this time rather south! I have done that on the QE2 many times, actually it was that nice in December that we layed out by the pool and got darker and darker...I can see the last 3-4 days maybe a bit cooler and maybe rough, but by that time you have your sea legs!

Who cares anyhow...it will be a great ship, phantastic crew and even better crowd!

Why is everyone picking on me for stating what I believe will occur? The OP had concerns, and I would to.

Being a retired Coast Guarder I will say its possible there won't be a storm, but its probable there will be a storm.

Because most people who come to this board in search of info would rather have the facts instead of what YOU BELIEVE might happen. Every week, I BELIEVE I will win the lottery but NCL still won't take that as final payment on a worldwide cruise.

Just stick to the facts you know as opposed to assumptions or quoting from the NCL website.

Did you read the link?

Mr Electric,

Though I don't agree with your feelings on certain aspects of crusiing with NCL and finance etc..... I do appreciate your knowledge of all technical stuff of crusing etc...

So please indlulge a couple of questions from me.

1) aren't ships today fast so as to avoid a hurricane?

2) Why would they sail a ship into a hurricane?

3) Can the ship tip over in the ocean

4) Can the captain refuse to cruise into a bad storm even if headquarters needs the ship in the US

Thanks for your help

-T

The excerpt posted is from my review. I don't expect the same rip roaring winds and storms or I wouldn't book it again' date=' especially travelling alone.

It was not a "disaster" or "nightmare" cruise but it was one we will all surely remember!:D:eek::D[/quote']

Wow you write really well. I'm so jealous.

Please blog again when you do this run

thanks

-T

Mr Electric,

Though I don't agree with your feelings on certain aspects of crusiing with NCL and finance etc..... I do appreciate your knowledge of all technical stuff of crusing etc...

4) Can the captain refuse to cruise into a bad storm even if headquarters needs the ship in the US

Thanks for your help

-T

To...

1. A weatherfront can build up on the ocean in a very short time! I believe a Hurricane is a bit faster then a ship!

2. No other way to go!

3. Very easy...watch Poseidon or the Perfect Storm! Can happen every day!

4. YES and NO, but Headquaters do rather have a safe ship, crew and passengers!

Mr Electric,

Thanks for your help -T

1) Ships can travel at 24 knots. Hurricanes can travel faster.

2) They wouldn't. But, 75 mph winds may be only within 50 miles of the storm's center, gale force winds can be as far out as 250 miles of the storm's center, and rough seas can be out as far as 500 miles of the storm's center.

Rough seas aren't caused by storms alone. Rough seas are caused by high winds. You can have a sunny day, after a cold front passes, with gusty winds. In winter, cold fronts travel faster and occur more frequently. You can steer around storms, but it's difficult to steer around cold fronts.

3) Yes, a ship can tip over. Ships are designed not to, but a very large wave from the correct direction can tip a ship over.

4) Yes, the Capatain can refuse to sail through a hurricane. But, not rough seas. The ships are built to withstand rough seas. But many a sailor and cruise ship passenger stomachs aren't.

TAXMANTOO -Don't know what your problem is with Don Haynes, but from the tone of your post you do seem to have one. Please don't speak for me...who makes you an expert on what people want to read on this board. I enjoy Don's comments and I see no need for insulting comments like yours. Only my opinion.

Because most people who come to this board in search of info would rather have the facts instead of what YOU BELIEVE might happen. Every week, I BELIEVE I will win the lottery but NCL still won't take that as final payment on a worldwide cruise.

Just stick to the facts you know as opposed to assumptions or quoting from the NCL website.

Love it!

It seems that anyone with a multitude of posts is an expert in any field on this board. Time to ignore the boards for a while and enjoy the weather.

Archived