Alla's Complete SP Tour vs Denrus Value Tour

I have searched back a few pages since the search function is down, but I didn't find a thread related to this.

I am going solo, and I want a two day tour of St. Petersburg. Did anyone make the decision between the group tour by Alla and Denrus? What were the reasons you chose the one you did?

I hadn't even noticed the Complete SP Tour until last night. I thought she only had private tours.

For the last month or so I have been on the message boards on the tour guide websites in case someone wants to book a private tour, but since I haven't heard anything and the cruise is in July, I thought I probably should get booking one of the group tours offered by Denrus or Alla..... or through Princess.

We chose Alla over DenRus, mostly because they had 20 people in the group and DenRus had their limit at 30. We thought we wanted to see more of the fountains rather than another castle and Alla offered that. She also offers early admission to Hermitage and her reputation is very good. she also offers the hydrofoil ride too.

Part of my concern with Denrus Value Tour is the number of "castles" and hours spent at each.

You bring up some good points. I would LOVE the hydrofoil ride.

Alla does not mention meals or anything. Do you just pay for your own meals on the group tour? How expensive were they?

I have to reread them again. I am getting confused. I am not sure what extras Alla covers.. (ie: admission costs to places if there are some, meals, the option to take photos at places, etc.)

Part of my concern with Denrus Value Tour is the number of "castles" and hours spent at each.

You bring up some good points. I would LOVE the hydrofoil ride.

Alla does not mention meals or anything. Do you just pay for your own meals on the group tour? How expensive were they?

I have to reread them again. I am getting confused. I am not sure what extras Alla covers.. (ie: admission costs to places if there are some, meals, the option to take photos at places, etc.)

I did a Moderate tour with Alla last Sept., we paid for our meals at lunch stops, probably around $20 US dollars. All the admission prices were included in our tour as was the cost to take photos. We had a group of 10 and had a wonderful tour, the highlight of our Baltic cruise.:)

Hi. We are on Celebrity Constellation for the May 17th cruise and I have booked the "Complete St. Petersburg" tour for no more than 20 people for 2 days with Alla Tours. They have been very responsive by e-mail in setting up the tour. Meals are included as well as entrance fees and photo fees. We have already received our tour tickets (via e-mail) and are ready to go. We really liked the idea of a smaller group tour, so decided on Alla.

We compared Denrus and Alla "Complete St. Petersburg" package tours for our visit in June/08 and decided upon Alla. Like CoastalJen, we had hoped to join a private tour but there was no action for our sail date. Alla includes the "usual suspects" in her 2-day package and also provides inside visit to Catherine's Palace, early entry to Hermitage, hydrofoil ride from Peterhof, excursion to Yusupov's Palace, lunch on both days and camera permits for unlimited pics (one permit per couple). Her group size can only get to 20 pax. A possible downside is that Alla only starts offering her 2-day "Complete St. Petersburg" package in 2008, so there may be some wrinkles early in the cruise season. But in all our dealings, she has been prompt, thorough and helpful. We are excited about our choice of Alla and already have our tour tickets in hand.

Thanks!!! I am going with Alla.

When I first posted on her message board I wanted a private tour, she e-mailed me and was really nice. However, she never mentioned they had a group package available. Of course I was just starting initial planning, so I didn't realize there was an option besides a private or one with the cruiseline.

Last night I read her description, and I saw no mention of food. I thought surely she at least stops and allows us to buy something.

I am so excited now! :)

If you are confused about anything, ask Alla. She will tell you exactly what is included and what isn't. She can also give you an estimate of how much your lunch will cost.

For the last month or so I have been on the message boards on the tour guide websites in case someone wants to book a private tour, but since I haven't heard anything and the cruise is in July, I thought I probably should get booking one of the group tours offered by Denrus or Alla..... or through Princess.

Last year while planning, I was concerned because we wanted to add a few couples to our tour and we weren't getting much action. However, Alla said that the traffic would pick up in April and that we would have no trouble filling our van. She was right. By mid-April, we added 3 more people and then three weeks before the cruise, our single became a couple plus we added yet another couple to our group.

If you are looking for a tour share, hang in there.

OK I know she wrote awhile back (February 1) and said that traffic would pick up. She would keep me in mind for those wanting to add people to a tour.

I think I will write again and just tell her I am still interested, but I am going to do the Complete St. P if I don't get in a group....

Peregrina651, we seem to have the same interest in cruises. Did you read the glowing review posted for our South American cruise under the general Celebrity board. It was SO detailed.

OK. I just wrote to Alla. I am SO excited. It makes it a little more real when you start getting definite things planned.

Also, I told her if anyone requests to do something a little less traditional in the evening (stroll the streets, sit at a cafe, eat with a Russian family dinner, etc) please remember me because I might be interested. She had mentioned in the e-mail February 1, 2008, that there are lots of possibilities for the evening. Maybe someone else will want to do something that night. I wanted lunch with a Russian family, but with the Complete St. Petersburg tour that isn't possible. However, I have seen other people on here ask if there was any possibility of dinner with a Russian family with any of the tour groups. Heck, it can't hurt to ask. Plus, maybe she will find others that think it would be fun.

Russia.....................Here I come!!!!!!!

We managed to take a canal tour as well as take in the early Folk Show after touring a full day with Alla. Both were very worthwhile. Our guide called a boat and it came by and picked us up in a few minutes. We has already prearranged the theater experience.

We decided to do everything we possibly could during our stay in St. Petersburg.

Looking at the webpage for her two day package tour, that one looks pretty good to see most of the best things.

I read lots about Alla, Red October and Denrus tour companies for our Princess stop in SP. But, has anyone ever toured SP with a tour company known as

Optima Ltd. ? Their prices seem more moderate, and the custom feature of the itinerary is appealing. Their website is very self-explanatory.

I am frightened to use a company that is not recommended, so I am reaching out for information/recommendations.

Thanks in advance !!

I haven't read anything about Optima.

Alla confirmed she has a place on her Complete St. Petersburg Tour for me. I received the attachments today. However, she also asked if I would be willing to join a private tour of three. I wrote her back and said I am interested, so we shall see. I am definitely sticking with her.

I have not heard of Optima Tours. Be very careful, for if you don't have a visa and are not with a Russian "approved" tour group, you can't get off the ship. At the least, I would email Optima and ask if you require a visa. We used Alla last summer (had no visa, just her "invitation") and were very pleased.

I have not heard of Optima Tours. Be very careful, for if you don't have a visa and are not with a Russian "approved" tour group, you can't get off the ship. At the least, I would email Optima and ask if you require a visa. We used Alla last summer (had no visa, just her "invitation") and were very pleased.

Optima/Travel in Russia has been mentioned in a number of posts over the past few years here on CC. I know that it is not a new company but I don't know its status.

Still, your point is well taken. It is very important to make sure of two points when you are hiring a tour company. 1) that they are providing a visa and 2) that they will be meeting you on the pier. Otherwise, you will need to get your own visa and/or make arrangements to get to wherever you are meeting your guide. Not that you can't do this for yourself but that you should remember to include these added expenses when you are comparing tour package prices.

We also toured with Alla Tours and were extremely pleased.

I did a Moderate tour with Alla last Sept., we paid for our meals at lunch stops, probably around $20 US dollars. All the admission prices were included in our tour as was the cost to take photos. We had a group of 10 and had a wonderful tour, the highlight of our Baltic cruise.:)

We put together a mini-group from our roll call - only 8 of us - with Alla on the Moderate Tour. We made one change - on day 2, we're doing the Hermitage first thing in the morning in order to get early entrance. I think that we picked the best of the best.

Would someone please provide me with the web-site for Alla? I'm starting to do my homework for a SP visit in August--have reviewed the Red October and Denrus but can't find the Alla that relates to SP tours (I find an Alla Tours but seems to be a mini search engine). Thanks in advance!

Would someone please provide me with the web-site for Alla? I'm starting to do my homework for a SP visit in August--have reviewed the Red October and Denrus but can't find the Alla that relates to SP tours (I find an Alla Tours but seems to be a mini search engine). Thanks in advance!

Try this email address for Alla allaushakova@aim.com as an alternate.

Archived