Skagway Rental Car - Discounts?

kimandjus

Yes another rental car question in Skagway but this is different than I have seen. I went to make my reservation with Avis and had my handy dandy discount code with Costco and they are telling me they won't accept any discounts. Has anyone been able to use a discount code with this Avis location? This makes the rental much more expensive than any place else and doesn't seem right that we can't use the discount. Oh I was told they were privately owned..well then why are they with Avis. Anyway any other experience with this would be great! I want to save a few pennies. Oh also has anyone done the Fuel Service Option or are they just going to price gouge anyone on that? Thank you.

We did not make our reservations on line we called them and they told us to bring discount coupon or what ever with us and they will honor it then.

I also called first and they told me the information I posted. None of the places in Alaska honor discounts of any sort..was just hoping someone had a different experience but hey thanks for the info. I suppose it doesn't hurt to bring it and see if they will honor it.:)

Wait who is "them"? Avis in general or the actual rental place in Skagway?

I also have had trouble using discount codes for Alaska and Vancouver. I finally got the Costco one to take for Alamo in Vancouver, but the Avis one still did not work. I have attached my entertainment book coupons to each of my reservations for the discounts they offer. Usually a free upgrade. Better than nothing I guess. It seems like with the high demand for vehicles in Alaska they don't have to offer the discounts.

Worked for me too...

but I have no idea what that code is for or what I will have to prove when I arrive to pick it up. I guess I will stay prepared to pay full price in case.

It's the code for citicorp leisure travel. I doubt you'll have to prove it though. Everyone who has used it say they haven't been hasseled. Last year in Skagway we rented and used our son's AOPA code. When we arrived at the office it was never mentioned. I'm not going to worry about it. I think it'll be fine.

Great code for Skagway. I did get it to take for Skagway, but I don't need a car there...just checked it out. It is a great deal for anyone who needs a rental car in Skagway. Perhaps it is just a USA code, because when I tried it for Vancouver, my rental price with Avis would be $25 more than I got it a few months ago with no code. I will keep looking. I did end up getting a better deal with Costco/Alamo, so for now that is what I will use.

Worked for me too. This board is an invaluable asset to anyone going on a cruise! Can someone who used this code in Skagway report back once they get back from their cruise if they were asked for anything to justify this code, please? I am leaving the first week of July, so if no one posts before then, I can let the rest of you know how it went. Again, you guys are great!

It's the code for citicorp leisure travel. I doubt you'll have to prove it though. Everyone who has used it say they haven't been hasseled. Last year in Skagway we rented and used our son's AOPA code. When we arrived at the office it was never mentioned. I'm not going to worry about it. I think it'll be fine.

Ok since I'm trying to be an honest person I was looking who this "citicorp leisure travel" included. Does this mean you are an employee of citicorp or that you hold a citi card (which I do)? Does anyone know? It is sad that these price differences exist to begin with. Why can't they just give one set "fair" price across the board instead of making the "little guy" pay the highest price.

Anyway when I posted I was looking for an honest way to receive a discount but I am coming up blank. This is a great deal but would like to know how honest it is to use it.

The other sad thing is why can you only find these codes on message boards and not in places where you can access them as a member of legitimate places or consumers. I did find the Costco code but these other "general" codes seem elusive to most of us honest people. :( And none of these seem to work in Alaska.

I just changed my booking also and it went from 101.46 to 42.18 a very nice savings. However, when I printed it out, it stated the following in the insurance section.

Hope there is no problem in using this code.

Your reservation was booked using a corporate rate. Your insurances are pre-determined based upon your corporate contract.s.gifLoss Damage Waiver (LDW) - Declined

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) - DeclinedPersonal Effects Protection (PEP) - DeclinedAdditional Liability Insurance (ALI) - Declined s.gif

I just changed my booking also and it went from 101.46 to 42.18 a very nice savings. However, when I printed it out, it stated the following in the insurance section.

Hope there is no problem in using this code.

Your reservation was booked using a corporate rate. Your insurances are pre-determined based upon your corporate contract.s.gifLoss Damage Waiver (LDW) - Declined

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) - DeclinedPersonal Effects Protection (PEP) - DeclinedAdditional Liability Insurance (ALI) - Declined s.gif

Another thing to check is mileage costs. I am not sure this works for unlimited mileage. Seems I remember reading old posts on it and some had costs of 31 cents per mile and maybe that was after 100 miles. But the saving is HUGE, another reason this is so unbalanced/unfair. I just want a fair rate for everyone!!

Another thing to check is mileage costs. I am not sure this works for unlimited mileage. Seems I remember reading old posts on it and some had costs of 31 cents per mile and maybe that was after 100 miles. But the saving is HUGE, another reason this is so unbalanced/unfair. I just want a fair rate for everyone!!

This is something I'm curious about as well. I will try to find out about the mileage thing. I agree...why can't everyone just get the same low rate. I think $42 is a fair number for a rental in Skagway...considering most will have the car for less than 6 or 7 hours.

This is something I'm curious about as well. I will try to find out about the mileage thing. I agree...why can't everyone just get the same low rate. I think $42 is a fair number for a rental in Skagway...considering most will have the car for less than 6 or 7 hours.

I compared my previous confirmation to the one I just booked using the discount code and both are identical except the amount and the insurance that I referenced previously. In neither of them do they mention mileage at all.

I compared my previous confirmation to the one I just booked using the discount code and both are identical except the amount and the insurance that I referenced previously. In neither of them do they mention mileage at all.

I went back and looked again and you are right. No mention of mileage. I'm just not going to worry about it anymore. I have nothing to lose here. At worst, I'll end up paying the full rate.

Good news! This is strange but good. Avis in Alaska just called me about my 'numerous' reservations in Skagway and Anchorage. Just last night I booked in Skagway with with the discount code, but I did not cancel my previous booking at the higher rate (I was going to do it eventually). Anyway, they were concerned about why I had so many cars booked under the same name for the same day. I simply said that we thought we might need a second car, but weren't sure yet. She said fine, I could cancel one of them online when we decided. She said "be sure to cancel reservation #000000 as it has the higher rate-you'll want to keep the reservation with the lower rate. So, that was simple. The code does work and from what I've read on another board-no I.D. or proof is ever asked for :) BTW, for those wondering, the code did not work for Anchorage :(

On the receipt I printed for Skagway, it says the mileage is unlimited. I agree with the others who wishes all could get a more farer price. I have an Entertainment book, that it seems everytime I want to use it for travel plans, it never helps. I tried to book a room for the pre cruise night in Seattle only to be told that those rooms weren't available. This would have gotten me 50% off. Luckily I was able to get the Govt rate, have to prove I am a Govt employee when I get there, though. Then for Avis, it said online that they couldn't accept that coupon code to get an upgrade. So I was extremely happy to find a code that worked and saved me a bunch of money. Most times when picking up cars at rental agencies, its so busy that I doubt they'd ask for proof. If its for a Citi corp credit card, one could have easily left that card at home and only traveled with one card....maybe a Discover card. I wonder what gas is going for in Alaska. Hopefully its cheaper than here in MI!

Me too! Figure if it doesn't work out, we'll just enjoy the ambience of Skagway, which isn't a bad alternative. I have a Citibank business credit card, so that may count for something. Thanks!

Archived